Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Well, two things.
    Heather's change is not that far away from where you are. Not that far at all.
    And as for it getting better - you're going to endure some really, really, really, rough stuff ahead.
    But it does get better.
    Like 40 issues from where you are.
    But it does get better.

That said, your mileage may vary. I speak only for myself.
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that Heather gets powered up soon.
    I'm up to #31, and still not liking the post-Byrne era so far. I REALLY miss Byrne! The dialogue is bad, and the art is bad, though it looks like there will be a new penciller in a few issues, anyway.
    So, hey, I only have to sait 37 more issues. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler69 View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that Heather gets powered up soon.
    I'm up to #31, and still not liking the post-Byrne era so far. I REALLY miss Byrne! The dialogue is bad, and the art is bad, though it looks like there will be a new penciller in a few issues, anyway.
    So, hey, I only have to sait 37 more issues. No problem.

Don't be so eager about Heather getting powered up soon... as for dialogue... Yeah, especially Heather's gets notoriously bad... (well, in my view, others may have different opinions!)... and the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)... but then, when the writer switches from Bill, a new artist comes aboard, and... makes things worse.

Cheery, right?

Don't be so eager about Heather getting powered up soon... as for dialogue... Yeah, especially Heather's gets notoriously bad... (well, in my view, others may have different opinions!)... and the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)... but then, when the writer switches from Bill, a new artist comes aboard, and... makes things worse.

Cheery, right?
    Jim Lee's debut? That's pretty cool. And, you mean, it gets worse? I do like some of Mantlo's stuff - The Micronauts is one of my all time favorite comics, Rom was very good, and I enjoyed his Hulk stuff too, but Mantlo and Alpha Flight do not mix.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)
    It's his first work for Marvel ever. (I don't know how debut-y it is; he may have done something professional before that. He may not. I dunno.)
    It's beautiful.
    He drew the cover to #60, which you have.

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler69 View Post
    Jim Lee's debut? That's pretty cool. And, you mean, it gets worse? I do like some of Mantlo's stuff - The Micronauts is one of my all time favorite comics, Rom was very good, and I enjoyed his Hulk stuff too, but Mantlo and Alpha Flight do not mix.
    As a rule, we don't knock Mantlo's work in general; but during his run on Alpha, he was going through a creative burn-out and running out of art.
    Unfortunately, the book suffered for it.

(The following is a vague and incomplete outline of v1, but may be considered spoilery, or telling you what to feel.)

What Tawmis described above is the path most Alfans go through:
    Byrne:
    "This is great! I love this!"
    Mantlo:
    "What? What have you done to my characters? This is awful!"
    (Jim Lee pencils Mantlo's writing) :
    Great artwork! If only the writing was good again.
    Hudnall:
    It's good again!
    (John Calimee pencils Hudnall's writing) :
    This is awful. Where have all the artists gone?
    (Llan the Sorcerer storyline) :
    Get on with it!

etc...

So far, dbutler, you've had textbook reactions. :/

~ Le Messor
    "Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves."
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    It's his first work for Marvel ever. (I don't know how debut-y it is; he may have done something professional before that. He may not. I dunno.)
    It's beautiful.
    He drew the cover to #60, which you have.

As a rule, we don't knock Mantlo's work in general; but during his run on Alpha, he was going through a creative burn-out and running out of art.
    Unfortunately, the book suffered for it.

(The following is a vague and incomplete outline of v1, but may be considered spoilery, or telling you what to feel.)

What Tawmis described above is the path most Alfans go through:
    Byrne:
    "This is great! I love this!"
    Mantlo:
    "What? What have you done to my characters? This is awful!"
    (Jim Lee pencils Mantlo's writing) :
    Great artwork! If only the writing was good again.
    Hudnall:
    It's good again!
    (John Calimee pencils Hudnall's writing) :
    This is awful. Where have all the artists gone?
    (Llan the Sorcerer storyline) :
    Get on with it!

etc...

So far, dbutler, you've had textbook reactions. :/

~ Le Messor
    "Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves."
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Thanks for the recap, Le Messor . It looks like I'll have to pick up Hudnall's run, or at least the first part of it.

If I remember right, I think it was only half of FF at one point and during the story, it became FF vs AF for a short time.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Against Headlok. This was one of the first AF issues I read.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max