Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Alpha Flight Questionnaire

The Following is the official forum Alpha Flight Questionnaire. This automatically gets sent to new members. I would also like for existing members to take a minute to fill this out, as it is a great way to see the interests of fellow Alpha Flight Fans.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? Since volume 1, #1. Couldn't take anymore after # 55. Picked up the Snowbird/God-War issue, the last Mantlo issue, and the first part of the Hudnall DreamQueen story, but didn't come back to it consistently until # 96 or so. Unfortunately, damage had already been done, and wasn't being undone. Stopped again around the Wrecking Crew story-arc. Have all twenty issues of volume 2, #s 2 - 12 of volume 3, plus the 1st tpb.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? Uncanny X-Men# 109. Solid story, all the way around. If recent, what was your first reaction? n/a

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character? Shaman

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character? WHITMAN KNAPP

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain? Toss-up between THE MASTER,
    THE GREAT BEASTS, and PESTILENCE

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? SCRAMBLE (by far), but The Auctioneer, The Manimator, Scourge, and Razor all tie for a close second. Hope I didn't miss any other bad characters.

7. What do you think is the best issue/story-arch from Alpha Flight? Without a doubt, AFV1#s 23 and 24.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? Tom DeFalco, writer-co-plotter/John Byrne, co-plotter-penciller-inking-assist/Morales, inker/whoever lettered and colored volume 3/Roger Stern, editor

Characters: Shaman, Walt/Sasquatch, Snowbird, Talisman, Judd/Puck, Aurora, Northstar, Agent K

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    This does take comic characters a bit too far

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Shaman, with Sasquatch

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? Tough one because this is the most problematic creative element, but still will give Byrne his proper respect. ADDED 3/29/06: James Hudnall does a fantastic job bringing back the classic characters while weaving interesting stories out the ashes of the terrible Mantlo run.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? MANTLO

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? Clayton Henry is now tied with Byrne

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? Mignola, Talaoc, Ross, Lee, just about everybody else

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? I would have stopped publication of the ALPHA FLIGHT series with vol. 1, # 28 and not used them in other books until someone wrote them with some respect and consistency.

. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?

I started with the original run by Byrne... and continued just before Mantlo left the series.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?

When they were introduced in X-Men and briefly shown in their public identities. I remember thinking they had cool names.

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?

Madison Jeffries

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?

Whitman Knapp!

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?

I hate to admit it, because he was created by Mantlo, but I thought Bedlam was a great menace.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?

Pink Pearl

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?

Vol 1 iss. 13 - 28... from where the team has to deal with Guardian's death, right up to Byrne's departure.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?

Mr. Jeffries
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Vindicator (Heather)
    Sasquatch
    Puck
    Snowbird
    Me (Lol)

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)

Well, being a guy, Aurora, Heather or Snowbird would work equally well!

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?

Heather as Vindicator

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Byrne, hands down

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Mantlo

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?

Byrne

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

Oh god-- the guy who came over with Mantlo from the Hulk. That was some crappy ass art!

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?

Only one? Puck being made into the container for Razor. Almost too many to mention! Most lately, Wolverine offing Northstar! I would've prefered NS to have killed Logan. Someone really should...

welcome to the Asylum, Darkstar. Feel free to make a nest in the cupboard, prime realestate in there these days.... but watch out for the goblins...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? I remember buying Alpha Flight vol. 1 #1 on the way to school in sixth grade. I did not collect the entire run, but I have been slowly hunting down the entire first run over the past 5-10 years.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? I remember the ads before Alpha Flight vol. 1 #1 was actually released. At that point they were still a mystery to me.

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character? PUCK (Eugene)

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character? Wyre

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain? THE MASTER,

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? ROK

7. What do you think is the best issue/story-arch from Alpha Flight? vol. 1 #12

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? I am assuming you mean team member line up...
    Puck
    Guardian
    Heather
    Sasquatch
    Aurora
    Shaman
    Snowbird
    Talisman
    Diamond Lil
    Madison Jefferies/Box
    Wild child

With a full functional Beta and Gamma program:
    Flex
    Murmur
    Radius
    Puck2
    Yukon Jack
    Murmur
    Manikin
    Persuasion
    Flashback
    Smart Alec
    Gateway
    Goblyn

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)? They are comic characters.

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Puck

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? Byrne was definitely the "Sean Connery" of Alpha Flight writers and artists.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? Whoever it was that did that crazy sorcerer crap.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? Byrne set the bar high, but there have been a lot of decent artists since (Henry, Broderick, Lee, Clark)

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? Calimee (spelling)?

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? Although I think some of the stuff following Byrne's run was ridiculous I would not change it. You gotta take chances to see what works. Many complain about volume 2, but I didn't see it that bad. Likewise volume 3, it was not the greatest, but I appreciated that someone was taking another chance with Alpha Flight.

Welcome to both Darkstar and jemini169! Don't mind the mould growth in the corner of the cupboard, it's a science experiment.

I agree with you jemini169 about not wanting to change anything in AF history. It's done, it's part of what has developed with the characters, lets just go from there. I also agree about enjoying the last two versions of AF. I really enjoyed volume 2, and having recently re-read it, enjoyed it even more. Vol. 3 was really good as a an AF offshoot, thought strictly speaking it wasn't AF, it was ANADAF, I enjoyed it for that, just didn't like how it ended, for above reasons of not liking to ignore history.

Ben

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?
    Since #1 of Byrne's run.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight?
    I wanted to get into comics, but didn't want to start in the middle of a story, so I started looking around for a #1 issue that looked interesting. About that time, Alpha Flight started up and I bought it. Little did I know that I'd need to go back and pick up odd issues of Uncanny X-Men and even Hulk and Machine Man to get the whole story, but it was worth it. I've been reading every Alpha Flight story I can get my hands on ever since.

Sasquatch.

Goblyn.

The Master.

The Brass Bishop. I had this great image in my head of what he'd be like when they finally showed him, but they ended up cheesing him all up.

7. What do you think is the best issue/story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    The death of Vindicator.

Guardian (Heather)
    Sasquatch
    Puck
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Shaman
    Snowbird

Snowbird. Yowza.

Heather.

JB.

Bill Mantlo.

JB.

At the time, I hated Mignola. Now that he's probably my favorite comics artist ever, I blame the inking and coloring for ruining his work on AF. I'd love to see him work on the team again if he inked his own stuff and had a competent colorist. So, to answer the question, I'm gonna have to go with... who was the dude during Hudnall's sorceror storyline? [Edit: Calimee! That's the guy!] Ick.

Bill Mantlo's entire run. Too broad? Puck's a tall guy with an evil spirit. Close runner-up: Northstar and Aurora are elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael May

Bill Mantlo's entire run. Too broad? Puck's a tall guy with an evil spirit. Close runner-up: Northstar and Aurora are elves.
    Actually, the 'elves' story was retconned later on. They are full blooded human mutants, who just HAPPEN to have pointy ears.

Welcome Michael May! Glad to see you slipping right into the action. Don't forget to make yourself a nice but-groove in the cupboard.

Ben

Thanks, Ben! Fellow newbie Patrick Clarke and I met on another board and learned that we're both AF fans. Patrick just told me about this forum, so we thought we'd come over and see what's up.

well, welcome both to our little corner of insanity! we could use more ppl - the straight jackets are a little lonely these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael May
    Thanks, Ben! Fellow newbie Patrick Clarke and I met on another board and learned that we're both AF fans. Patrick just told me about this forum, so we thought we'd come over and see what's up.
    Well, glad you both made it over. Welcome to you too Patrick! Glad to see we're brining in the newbie's in pairs now

Ben

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?
    X-men introduction, the first run up to 55 or so? Right after Roger Bochs death, I left, then collected part of the 2nd run, and some of the latest run.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    Seeing this cool team fighting the X-men. I was a big Wolvie fan, but liked Cyclops as well, and Mac had a little bit of both. Kinda like FF mixed with X-men! Oh yeah, and John Byrne was what made it cool, followed everything he did.

Of what's been written? Mac as Guardian. The first twelve issues made me really respect and want to be responsible like him.

Of what I would want to be written? BOX. Much potential there. Bryne had something there with Roger Bochs that I would've liked to see more of.

Any re-birth of Mac. Let him die. I miss him, but leave him dead.

The dysfunctiality of the team...they were their own worst enemy.
    But for a "real" enemy: Jerry Jaxon's Omega Flight

Pink Pearl

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    The first 12 (13 really) issues. Wow.

The ORIGINAL with BOX (roger bochs version)
    Guardian
    Puck
    Sasquatch
    Aurora
    Northstar
    Shaman
    Snowbird
    Heather

Puck. I bet he could tell some stories.

Mac and Heather. Father and Mother.

Bryne

scott lobdell

Bryne

Prolly someone that worked on the arcs I never bought...

Bringing Mac back.

- pjc

Hey haven't been collecting long but still.....

1.Since V3 1#

2.Hmm a think their appearance in Uncanny 120 was it? Thought they where absolute prats. Heh. How wrong i was.

3. Hmm. Either Yukon or Puck II

4.Centennial.

5.No comment lol

6.No comment lol.

7. Uhhm... THE WHOLE OF V3!!! It rocks Hard rock cafe off the earth!!!

8.If i could make my own i'd ave:
    Puck II
    Yukon Jack
    Nemesis
    Box IV
    Guardian I/II
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Snowbird
    and maybe Diamond Lil

9.Puck I. Funny bloke. Not strange funny but Eddie Izard funny (though not in the same style. Eddie Izard was simply an example of a popular man with a brilliant sense of humor)

10.Guardian I

11.No comment

12.No comment

13.Guy who does V3

14.No comment

15. Defenetly the end o V3. I'd have it continue with that team and none o' this retiring and settling down thing. Come on what was wrong with it?!

Welcome Nufan2af! No better place on earth to share you thoughts on AF, and to learn all the history you can handle Don't let the gremlins in the closet scare you, they keep the back issues in order.

Ben