Hybrid View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Welcome.

Images

Nice to see the consistency!

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Note, this was not sent to me when I joined so I figured I'll fill it out here:

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?

I've never technically collected it, but I read through all the trades beginning about two months ago from Alpha Flight 1 1983 to Issue 8 of the Unity storyline which I finished about two weeks ago.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?

My first memory is from reading The trade Uncanny XMen Volume 1 when I was in middle school and seeing Weapon Alpha attack Wolverine.

3. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight character?

Puck (Eugene Judd). Just I love characters that can crack jokes yet know the exact moments to be serious and just in general be a kind hearted soul that can kick ass. Plus he's an Edmonton Eskies fan!

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character?

I hate saying this as she started off with so much potential but I have to say Vindicator, especially after their tamarind island base got destroyed. She became extremely selfish prone to temper tantrums see her entire early "where's the rat poison" demenor with Goblyn, constantly picking apart her teammates (other than Madison when they were lovers) flaws while rarely giving them confidence boosts and praising their strengths. After she and Madison broke up I was starting to get into her again( I thought her relationship with Diamond Lil at this point was excellent, particularly for her being the one to convince Lil to get her cancer treated). . .until she cold-blooded murdered her cousin and stole her daughter back with out any comeuppance or remorse. Yes she never got the unity process undone, but the way it was written, it seemed implied it was for the best that she didn't get it reversed, which is ludicrous. She is a brainwashed potential threat raising an innocent child.

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain?

Jaxxon. Simple revenge motivation works best.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?

The Sorceror. Just another in a really long line of mystical alpha flight villains, a trait in their villains I thought was wayyyyy too utilized , and he was the worst of the bunch.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arc from Alpha Flight?

Best Story arc is issues 1-15 of volume one, specifically the long reveal of Jaxxon, the way Mac died, and Heather's reaction to the man she loved being vaporized in front of her, potentially because she accidently distracted him. That was just epic storytelling

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?

Guardian, Vindicator, Puck, Sasquatch, North Star, Aurora,

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)?

Either Diamond Lil or Female Puck.

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?

tie between Puck and Sasquatch.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?

John Byrne

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Whoever penned Volume 3. So much potential story wasted. i like to believe it was Daniel way working under a pseudonym, as virtually every problem I had with his run on deadpool( my favorite comics character) was repeated in volume 3.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?

John Byrne

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

whoever drew the vast majority of Volume 2. Again I'm sorry I don't remember the name.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?

The Collective killing them off in New Avengers. yes the majority came back to life eventually but a.) two of the newest characters Mapleleaf and female Puck remained dead, without the latters relationship with her heavily implied biological father The Male Puck ever being explored. Judd has a grandson he will likely never know is his nor does he know he had a daughter and a son in law. Also I wanted to see how Maple leaf and Female puck were handled under a serious writer. I imagine they would be comic equivalents of Wash and Zoe from Firefly. B.) there was no purpose to the team's death other than shock value. It showed immense disrespect to the characters and their fanbase.
    Last edited by Yankee; 03-21-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    I've never technically collected it, but I read through all the trades beginning about two months ago...
    I hate saying this as she started off with so much potential but I have to say Vindicator, especially after their tamarind island base got destroyed...
    The Sorceror. Just another in a really long line of mystical alpha flight villains, a trait in their villains I thought was wayyyyy too utilized , and he was the worst of the bunch.
    You've read quite a bit more than the trades! How did you get your hands on those?

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    Whoever penned Volume 3.
    That would be Scott Lobdell. He also had a brief run on volume 1.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?
    The Collective killing them off in New Avengers... It showed immense disrespect to the characters and their fanbase.
    I agree with all you wrote for this answer. That was a terrible story.

~ Le Messor
    "Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark."
    ~ Rabindranath Tagore

I found them online digitally

Images

Of course.

My plan is to eventually buy all the ones I liked. And I'm done for good trying to find comics digitally after my computer got infected with a virus and the hard drive crashed

[mod]
    Standard Disclaimer:
    This site is officially approved, and frequently visited, by Marvel, and the owners here at alphaflight.net do not advocate comic piracy.
    [/mod]

First of all I am not advocating comic piracy. If anything I'm speaking about the ills of it, such as my computer crashing which helped me see how what I was doing was wrong, taking money out of writers and artists pockets, which ironically it took taking money out of my own pocket to get the computer fixed, to make me realize. I fully intend to buy over the course of my life a copy of each issue or trades collecting a bunch of issues that I illegally downloaded. And no I'm not saying that to cover my ass, I mean every word of it. Second however, I fully understand if my admittance for this past wrongs leads me being kicked off the site. I don't want people who actually did the right thing to be tainted for something wrong I did

Wasn't a comment, or judgement.
    Not saying you're wrong or kicking you off.
    Just getting it in there, as standard.

Fair enough.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? (My first issue was #19, but I quickly went back and bought the back issues)

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? (The closest that I can recall is the appearance of Talisman on the cover)

3. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight character? (Northstar)

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character? (Guardian. When I first read the comic, the role had been usurped by Delphine Courtney, so I truly thought of Guardian as a villain)

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain? (Flashback)

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? (Gilded Lily)

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arc from Alpha Flight? (Vol 1, Issue #27)

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? (Character wise: Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora and Sasquatch)

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) (Shaman)

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? (Shaman)

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? (John Byrne)

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? (Oeming)

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? (John Byrne)

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? (Dan Panosian)

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? (Any of the relaunches after the original series)

Didn't know the questionnaire was here finally answering

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? (My first issue was #19, but I quickly went back and bought the back issues) - collecting since AF# 1 -

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? (The closest that I can recall is the appearance of Talisman on the cover) My first memory is of the announcement poster - I was already collecting X-Men so i had all their appearances - the guys at Silver Snail in Hamilton saved the announcement poster for me and never hung it - I was able to get John Byrne to sign it a few years ago

3. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight character? (Northstar) Guardian / Vindicator / Weapon X / Mac

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character? (Guardian. When I first read the comic, the role had been usurped by Delphine Courtney, so I truly thought of Guardian as a villain) Wild Child - dunno why - never clicked for me

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain? (Flashback) Scramble - the way Byrne drew Heather and the other altered bodies still creeps me out

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? (Gilded Lily) The Master or Gary Cody

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arc from Alpha Flight? (Vol 1, Issue #27) I'm a Purist AF v1 - 1-12 Also like Marvel Fanfare #28 - Was lucky enough to know Ken Steacy and watch him draw it.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? (Character wise: Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora and Sasquatch) Guardian, Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora and Sasquatch

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) (Shaman) Snowbird

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? (Shaman) Guardian

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? (John Byrne) John Byrne

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? (Oeming) Anyone from Vol 2 and 3

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? (John Byrne) John Byrne

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? (Dan Panosian) Anyone from Vol 2 and 3

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? (Any of the relaunches after the original series) Guardian's recent dark turn - would love if he and Heather could raise Claire in a loving household together
    Last edited by Le Messor; 02-16-2022 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fixing returns
    It's chaos, be kind

Images

Yes, welcome!
    Excellent tastes there!

~ Le Messor
    "A poor excuse is like an old bucket; doesn't matter what shape it's in, as long as it holds water."
    ~ P.K. Shaw