Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica

Default Battlestar Galactica

Has anyone else seen this new mini-series which relaunches Battlestar Galactica for a whole new generation??? It's currently available on DVD over here in the UK for only £10.99 so I thought it might be worth a look (not JUST because it was 'cheap' but also because I enjoyed the original series).

Probably the main difference between the old version and this version is teh fact that Starbuck is a woman (and quite an annoying woman at that) and the Cylons have developed into 'humans'. It's a lot less Star-Warsy than the original series was - a lot more adult!!! It reminded me somewhat of the sci-fi series from a few years back called Space: Above and Beyond (I actually hated that series, but there ya go...). Oh and apparently the Sci-Fi Channel have commisioned a series to be made following on from this mini-series (well, I suppose they must have some extra money hanging around after they axed Farscape!).

I watched the new Battlestar Galactica a few weeks back on Sky. To be quite honest I prefer the original more cheesey version, upto the point they arrived on earth, after that it went down hill. That said, I'd probably watch the Sci-Fi series, although the Starbuck in the new one reminded me of Dizz from Starship Troopers, and the female trooper in Aliens 2 and the female tough inResident Evil. Uhmm, is cliche in this year?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I almost put that I felt Starbuck was a walking cliche but couldn't really decide how she was - but I'm glad you saw it too. It's like the writers thought "okay, so we have a tough female pilot - let's make her loud mouthed and edgy (because that's the only way she would have been able to be successful, by being on of the lads!)." Of course, it's either that or have a cold hearted ice-queen.

The fact that the original series had a perfectly fine female pilot called Sheba who was none of these things... well, you can certainly understand why a lot of the hardcore BG fans are hacked off.

They should have just left well alone or created a different character altogether (well, just rename this one really!)

I was also concerned that Starbuck had one of the widest mouths ever seen on a human being and I was concerned that if she laughed too hard she might swallow her own head...

It was all a bit like 'spot the cliche' for the rest of the stuff too: father and son who don't get a long, drunken old General who makes mistakes, BRITISH 'baddie'...

Personally I'm hoping that they DON'T have Starbuck and Apollo get together in the series (even though it sort of looked like there was something there... even though my boyfriend commented that he thought this new Apollo was gay - possibly wishful thinking!) - because that would just be yet another cliche of male/females who are always arguing always end up getting it together!!!!

I'll try and answer more fully tomorrow,I'm just off to my pit, but before I do so, just thought I'd ask what the chancesare of you putting in an appearence at Bristol comic con this year?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I've also seen this mini series. It is pretty good but I definetly prefer the old fashion one (during the summer I'd beg for that to be on the sci-fi channel).

Default POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL SERIES!

I think it's time to revisit the old series now, it's been years since I saw it but it's out on DVD so I will have to treat myself. I have fond memories of watching it on Sunday afternoons and seem to remember being quite upset when Serena (Jane 'Medicine Woman' Seymour) died after being shot by a Cylon. And I know that they've said that they don't want to have the Dagget (dog robot thingy that was given to Boxey after the death of his own dog during a Cylon attack) in the new series but I think it would be a shame not to - I think it's one of the things that people remember from the original series. Also I was surprised to see them for sale (in various colours) at Memorabilia (cult TV fair) last year.

Thankfully the abysmal Galactica 1980 is NOT available - that show was the root of all evil and should never have gotten made.

I rather enjoyed the new mini (and soon to be regular series) but then again I'm not the biggest fan of the old show.

I liked Mary McDonnell playing the president. She did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_Moonstar
    I liked Mary McDonnell playing the president. She did a great job.
    Agreed - she was great! Let us hope that she manages to get her cancer sorted out in the series.

I think the series should be interesting and I'll certainly watch it. Although I still think they should bring back the dagget!!!

Dagget, the canine Manbot, and that poxy kid, Boxy, flopsy, whatever. The old series did have it pitfalls, but Lorne Green could do grim, this new bloke just looks constipated when he does grim
    Del

I thought the new guy was okay, but yeah, I did keep thinking of Lorne Green and comparing the two. Of course the first thing the boyf said when he saw the new guy was "don't fancy looking at his mug week after week!" which kinda sums it up well!!!

The child was Boxy and the new series has a Boxy too - with the exact same haircut... which is nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I'm just waiting for the remake of V
    I'm sure it won't be good as the series with Diana and Lydia competing in the big hair deparment and fighting over Charles! I fear that the series will for the most part be completely ignored as Kenneth Johnson didn't like it and had nothing to do with it.

I also hear that they're remaking Gerry Anderson's UFO. Personally I'd rather see a remake of Space: 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I'm just waiting for the remake of V
    I'm sure it won't be good as the series with Diana and Lydia competing in the big hair deparment and fighting over Charles! I fear that the series will for the most part be completely ignored as Kenneth Johnson didn't like it and had nothing to do with it.

I also hear that they're remaking Gerry Anderson's UFO. Personally I'd rather see a remake of Space: 1999.
    If it came to a choice between Space 1999 or UFO, I'd have to go for UFO. You've got S.I.D, those ladies with Purple hair and tight body suits and the concept was better. Space 1999 was good, anything Anderson did was good, apart from Terrahawks which was utter gah!!

Re V, all I can say is don't let small furry pets watch it, give em nightmares.
    Del

I bought UFO on DVD, but wasn't too taken with it. I think I found Space:1999 more accessable, UFO was very adult (even with the birds in purple wigs and skin tight silver catsuits!!!), the only episode that held any interest to me was when we saw Mark Foster in the sauna . Apparently a Canadian company have bought thr rights - last I heard - but not sure how far in development it is, you know how these things are, sometimes they get developed but never get off the ground.

I actually LOVED Terrahawks! Zelda was such a role model for me as a child. I just thought it was fun and well made and I enjoyed it a lot - personally I never understood the whole fascination with Thunderbirds, apart from Lady Penelope and her pink Rolls Royce it just seemed a bit dull. Enjoyed Captain Scarlet though, always thought that was pretty adult too, apparently that's being remade as we speak!!! (I think it's being CGI animated or something.)

Strange how so many things are being remade or redone - need I mention Doctor Who?

*straightens glasses and smiles in a geekish way*