Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could have been; AF, Liefeld and Cable

Default What could have been; AF, Liefeld and Cable

"With all due respect to Walt Simonson, Stryfe was brought to the table months after Cable was created, designed and implemented. Cable was in fact first introduced as a character in an Alpha Flight proposal that I gave to Danny Fingeroth that was green lit and moving forward until an Alpha Flight re-launch was ultimately ruled out, a condition necessary for me to jump over from the X-office. Cable walked in the doors with me when I arrived at Marvel, he eventually turned up in New Mutants and here we are 17 years later. Not Commander X, Not Quinn, Cable.

"Bob trusted me with turning the New Mutants around and after a brief period with Louise Simonson, I was handed control of the title and we created comics history. The book went from the lowest selling X-Men title to the top of the charts. Issue #100, the single proudest achievement of my Marvel career, had four printings and sold 1 million copies. No variants, no trading cards, just momentum from a story and artwork that excited a generation of fans to jump on board, setting the stage for the 5 million copies of 'X-Force' #1.

"As for Cable's influences, look no further than Bruce Willis circa 'Die Hard' meets a certain death dealing cyborg from the future. Cable however, with his mixture of sci-fi-mutant-action-hero-big-guns-pouches-scar-cyborg-fruits-to-nuts character mix did indeed create his own brand of creative spin-offs and rip-offs. Magog being one of the most obvious admitted examples."

"Alpha Flight," I asked? This was new info...

"Well, before I was committed to New Mutants, I was looking for a vehicle that I could have more plot input on and it turns out that they were looking for a new team on 'Alpha Flight.' I was a huge fan and sent in a two year proposal that pre-dates my start on 'New Mutants' by about seven months. Cable was introduced as a soldier from Wolverine's past, who would have worked with the existing Alpha Flight roster. Danny Fingeroth was eager to get me on the series, but when it wasn't going to be re-launched I opted for 'New Mutants' and was able to do a dramatic housecleaning with editorial's blessing. My second issue of 'New Mutants,' there were several new characters of my design and creation that debuted, including but not limited to Cable. The entire MLF roster was created by me, Thumbleina, Tempo, Fourarm, Wildside, Reaper were among the new villians including Stryfe to appear. The book's tone and direction was changed from that point onward. There was little to no resemblance to what had gone before with the previous creative teams. Fans can make up thier own minds as to how much I did or did not contribute to what was a wholesale creative face lift on a book that was facing cancellation as I accepted the assignment."
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...g&article=2467

So instead of us getting Cable we got a wannabe in Wyre.

I can't imagine what Liefeld's Sasquatch would have looked like. Never been a big fan of his art and honestly think we dodged a bullet with this one.

we can see he as a lot of humility...
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I can't imagine what Liefeld's Sasquatch would have looked like. Never been a big fan of his art and honestly think we dodged a bullet with this one.
    To my knowledge he's really only drawn Mac & Heather. I think we can guess what his Sasquatch might've looked like. Here's his Wendigo from a What If? issue. Layout by Jim Valentino, Pencils by Liefeld, Inks by Scott Williams so this is probably a "best case" scenarios. Pretty sad looking at this since Wolverine's mask is wrong for Hulk 181 and Wendigo didn't have the large mane then either.

All I can say about that article is that AF dodged a bullet there.

MM

A bullet?? They dodged a bloody thermonuclear salvo!!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

He drew Wildchild in MCP too, and there's a Puck sketch of his floating about the t'internet somewhere too...

Oh my sainted grandfather's bones... That looks crap.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Well, Elizabeth certainly looks, um, 'perky'...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    except her face looks like she had a stroke

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    except her face looks like she had a stroke

Ben
    Um, not the definition of 'perky' I was thinking, mate...

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    All I can say about that article is that AF dodged a bullet there.
    Quite so, and makes me more appreciative of John Camilee's and Duncan Rouleau's runs on the book!

Even though, maybe if things had worked out, Liefeld's career might have died a quicker death.

haha no way, that's funny.

John Camilee's run was okay. not hoorible but okay, IMO

Duncan Rouleau's art I like. I know others dont but I do. I call him the comic killer though. Every Marvel title he has been it gets cancelled after his work. I still liked the arcs during his run