Ooh, another point. Not entirely on topic, but partly.
When American supers choose names, why do we not care where they come from? Are the Spidey villains 'Rhino' or 'Jackal' in any way African? How 'bout Wonder Woman's 'Cheetah'? King Cobra of the Serpent Society? Is he Indian? Come to think of it, what's so specially American or New York about spiders?

(These aren't rhetorical questions; some of them may be yes.)

But every time somebody from outside the continental USA chooses a name that's not representative of their specific locale, there's a protest. I believe somebody made it about Peregrine on this thread (they're worldwide, not particularly French).

Etic and Emic persepctives.

From the inside, it can be simple to identify a character as "normal" (which in this case, with a predominantly U.S.-based industry). As a consequence, the name doesn't need to say where he's from. Names can be ripped off because we regard all things U.S. as "Vanilla." There's also the issue of running out of names that fit characters, but what the hey, I regard that as a symptom.

When it comes to foreign characters, they're regarded as having a certain flavor built-in, because we don't really know enough about the country. Weird, and sadly funny, but what strikes us as easiest is to slap a name "clearly describing" where they're from, because it frees us from having to come up with more detail about them.

My two cents.