Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron Jerk

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I will be disappointed if the pro-reg heroes are under mind control or some evil influence. I have been liking the story as different political ideaologies between heroes. Mind control just seems to circumvent that,
    I didn't mean just the pro-reg heroes, I meant both sides, or rather the leaders of both sides. It just seems to me they are acting wildly out of character and I'm just wondering if it's bad writing, mind control or if the heroes (on both sides) are being pushed beyond they're limits morally, and are throwing their long held beliefs out the window while trying to fight for them.

I will be disappointed if the pro-reg heroes are under mind control or some evil influence. I have been liking the story as different political ideaologies between heroes. Mind control just seems to circumvent that,
    That would be the easy way out. And the action so Tony, Reed and Steve can probably be explained within the context of the situation.

Between his "futurist" genius and knoweldge of multiple alternate futures -- not to mention the resources of the US government and what they could do if left unmitigated, eg. live ammo, Sentinels, Mandriods, Clors galore -- both Tony and Reed have a huge weight weighing down on them. Stress and extreme circumstances can warp the best of personalities, and they could very well be interpretted as taking the lesser of two evils.

As for Cap; Hill more or less forced his hand... demanding, at gunpoint, that Cap do exactly as she required or else. His rection onboard the helicarrier couldn't have been any more predictable.

His extremist zeal might very well be chalked up to a knee-jerk reaction from his experiences with the Nazis during WWII.

Of course, Cap is doing nothing to combat the SRA, have it ammended or overturned. He has no plan other than to continue on advocating a right to anonymity and engaging in vigilanteism, and all the while sticking his head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away.

Of course, Cap is mostly a personal combatant, best at dealing with what is right in front of him.

He should be trying to contact journalists, being very clear and specific as to what about the SRA he and his are in opposition to. And he should be contacting lawyers, the She-Hulk for instance, having her push for ammendments to the SRA and bartering for amnesty on the grounds that he and his are opposing those particulars of the SRA that are clearly unconstitutional, and expressin that he and his are more than willing to submit to the reasonable particulars.

Maybe thats to come.

Keep an eye on Hill though. She more-or-less forced Cap int othe Anti-Reg camp and that is highly suspect.

I also don't think Cap's been out of character, because his hand was forced. He was shown in Frontline to have attempted contact with journalists.

Cap's remark about Tony being pampered aren't so far out of character, but I do think the class issue that he raised is more a matter of the writer's worldview. (I find that understandable as I've seen some of the class issues in England.)

Front Line has also been showing the coersion used by the government in the Wonder Man feature.

I've seen reasonable speculation on other threads that Iron Man in particular is being controlled, as he reaffirms his dedication to hunting down the resistance. Each time he does is after being touched by the Stratford mother, as being given the Iron Man doll in CW#4.

I've been enjoying the series enough, but some the story faults seem to grow if I look at it too much. Reed's stance is that "it's the law"? I'd say to Reed, what about the CONSTITUTIONAL right to a fair and speedy trial?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I've been enjoying the series enough, but some the story faults seem to grow if I look at it too much. Reed's stance is that "it's the law"? I'd say to Reed, what about the CONSTITUTIONAL right to a fair and speedy trial?
    That was one of the things I was refering to in my early post. All of a sudden Reed is ready to imprison heroes in the Negative Zone that he has known and fought beside without the least little twinge to his conscience? Cloning Thor, IMHO, would not only be a violation of Thor's rights (dead or not), not only direspectful of a fallen hero and friend, but against American law. (There is a ban on cloning people there is there not?) Not to mention his comment during Goliath's funeral about Spiderman's suspicious behaviour. He just seems too out of character even when you take into account that he may consider what he's doing to be "the right thing".

One last thought: what exactly is going to be the fallout for Goliath's death? He was killed during an official police action, so will there be an investigation? If Reed, Tony and Hank are found responsible for Goliath's death (since they were the ones who created the Thor clone) will they be sent to the Negative Zone prison?

Meanwhile, Wolverine, as it always seems to be the case, is the one actually getting to the bottom of the matter.

I don't know if you guys are reading Wolvie, but he tracked down Nitro, found out that someone was giving him Mutant Growth Hormone (a clever play off of the real drug Human Growth Hormone). He found out it was the dudes who get paid to clean everything up after the heros stomp on it, Damage Control as the company is called.

Very interesting, yes... this would either suggest that Damage Control is behind it all, making bad dudes stronger to provoke bigger colateral damage, then reap the rewards. If the government hires heros, then DC can get a government contract to clean up after them, and government checks are sweet. Or... they just were doing bad stuff and opened a can of worms.

Doesn't always seem the case that Wolvie ends up the center of the universe. He got brainflogged by Hydra and the whole Marvel world freaked out.

Oh yeah, Powersurge, I like the way you called the Cloned Thor, Clor. Good stuff, did you come up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    Oh yeah, Powersurge, I like the way you called the Cloned Thor, Clor. Good stuff, did you come up with that?
    Can't say that I did. I picked it up over on the Bendis board at Jinxworld.

Speaking of the NZ detention centre; while I understand that US law doesn't apply there, cause it isn't on US soil, couldn't a lawyer approach the matter from what does transpire on US soil? Namely, what is tantamount to the unlawful abduction and deportation of US citizens?

Not to get all Anti-Reg, but then, I only lean toward the Pro-Reg side.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Good stuff, did you come up with that?
    Can't say that I did.
    You can do it, Powersurge! You can say it, just try, man, try!

- Le Messor
    Marge: "Kids can be cruel."
    Bart: "We can? Oh, boy!"
    Lisa: "Oww, Bart!"

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    You can do it, Powersurge! You can say it, just try, man, try!
    B..bu...but, that would be lying. I would lose my "superpowers" if I lied (without due provocation)

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Speaking of the NZ detention centre; while I understand that US law doesn't apply there, cause it isn't on US soil, couldn't a lawyer approach the matter from what does transpire on US soil? Namely, what is tantamount to the unlawful abduction and deportation of US citizens?

Not to get all Anti-Reg, but then, I only lean toward the Pro-Reg side.
    The US does this all the time, with the whole "Extradiary Rendition" crap. We send people we want tourtured to Egypt or Gitmo. It sucks.

I think there was some legilature just passed to stop the President from sending "enemy combatants" to holding cells in other places buuuuuut... I think there was a law before, and that doesn't mean anything. It sucks.

But hey, can't you just claim the Negative Zone in the name of the United States, because no one is there and no one wants it. We did the same thing with the Moon.

Wait, doesn't Reed Richards own the Negative Zone?

Peace.

I think that the recent legislation passed basically says that interrogation and torture are not as far apart as they use to be.

http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/...31439&region=4
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

But hey, can't you just claim the Negative Zone in the name of the United States, because no one is there and no one wants it. We did the same thing with the Moon.
    Uhm, you DO realize the Negatize Zone is inhabited, right?

And if Annihlus comes back from the "Annihilation" event, he's going to be somewhat annoyed that we've set up camp in his backyard. Slaughter of imprisoned victims, anyone?
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."