Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Common mistakes

Default Common mistakes

You know you've all seen them. Those little things that happen when someone tries to write about your country and just makes that tiny error that stares out at you every time you read it!!

So I thought we could start a list of possible common mistakes or cultural oversights about Canada. (And maybe just some fun facts as well. )

I'll go first.

1. Nobody says "Soda" we say "pop." At least in the Maritimes.
    2. Legal drinking age is 19 in most places, 18 in Quebec and Alberta(?). Quebec has alchohol everywhere. In their grocery stores, in their corner stores, everywhere. (LOL!)
    3. Quebec french is extremely different than classical french and Acandien french is also a different thing.
    4. We have alot of coins. We have no dollar or 2 dollar bills, we have a loonie and a toonie. (Slang names obviously.)
    5. Its really not all that cold all the time.
    6. Not all Newfoundlanders speak hardcore Newfieish, though there are some. So if the characters ever go to St. Johns, they shouldn't have any trouble understanding most people.
    7. Canadians generally go to the other extreme from what is seen in America. We don't exactly hold politicians in high regard. Actually, politicians currently hold the position of "Least respected job in the country."

Fun facts:

1. Cape Breton might be getting its own space center.
    2. Santa is Canadian.
    3. For some reason Alexander Graham Bell is on our list as one of the greatest Canadians, despite the fact that he really only had his summer home here. Basically, if we think you're cool and you've ever visited Canada we will claim you!!

I know that there are others, but I can't come up with them.

There's so many differences it's hard to think of them all. Some are common mistakes, others are just facts.

Verbally:
    1. We say "chocolate bar" not "candy bar" (or "Kaindy bah" like George Costanza)
    2. The younger croud doesn't say "eh".
    3. The word "hoser" hasn't been used in this country since SCTV was popular.
    4. Many younger people use "right" as an adverb. That's right cool.
    5. We use British spelling for many words. (it would be nice for the Canadians to say "colour" in their talk balloons as that is the word the character is pulling out of their head.)

General:
    1. We laugh things off and are generally more easy going. (See Just for Laughs Gags)
    2. Not all of us are polite. We actually have some jerks who somehow have the best jobs and get the prettiest women.
    3. Francophones (and italians) generally talk more with their hands. (I know I do!)
    4. We just assume the term "March Madness" refers to the NHL trade deadline
    5. In the US, Dart Tournaments > NHL while in Canada, Curling > Nascar
    6. Free healthcare, though long waiting room times.
    7. If someone is murdered in BC, it'll be on the news in PEI

Maritimes:
    1. Aren't just fishing colonies. (I hate lobster)
    2. We're generally the most forgotten part of Canada. (In BC, the term "Way out East" refers to Ontario)
    3. We don't take politics so seriously out here. We just vote for whoever will screw us the least.
    4. We do love our kitchen parties.

Politics:
    1. We wouldn't publicize and empeach a Prime Minister for have sexual relations with a secretary... frankly we'd rather not think about Harper having sex.
    2. We decriminalized Marijuana. Not a big difference out east, but walking down downtown Vancouver, I saw many people smoking in plain site. Police told a guy infront of me "Hey! Smoke that in the alley!".
    3. Gay marriages took awhile, but not as big a deal to legalize as in the States.
    4. We tend to make law changes easier then the US, even having to go through Parliment.

That's all I can think of for now

Now as for the common mistakes in French culture, I will give it up to the lovely syvalois! Your turn!

Default Re: Common mistakes

I had to jump on this in the name of cultural exchange...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    7. Canadians generally go to the other extreme from what is seen in America. We don't exactly hold politicians in high regard. Actually, politicians currently hold the position of "Least respected job in the country."
    Most Yanks of MY acquaintence don't hold politicians in any particular regard. We probably have more outright hatred for ours than you guys, do actually. Never having lived in Canada, I can't be sure, but don't let CNN fool you. We regard our politcians with a mixture of loathing, apathy, and grudging support, for the most part.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Some nit-picking:

"We decriminalized Marijuana." No, marijuana is still illegal in Canada.

"We use British spelling for many words." More precisely, we use American spelling for some words and British spelling for other words. Over time, Canadian spelling has become more American. Newspapers now prefer "color" over "colour."

"We don't take politics so seriously out here. We just vote for whoever will screw us the least." Really? I thought Maritimers just voted Liberal.

"Gay marriages took awhile, but not as big a deal to legalize as in the States." Everything takes longer in US politics, not just gay marriage.

"Santa is Canadian." Really? I'm sure Santa was there before we were.

"Cape Breton might be getting its own space center." Pigs might fly.

"We wouldn't publicize and empeach a Prime Minister for have sexual relations with a secretary." English Canada is very puritanical. In Ontario, a cabinet minister was fired for appearing as a "Sunshine Boy." (During the Rae government.)

Some other Canadian facts:

Administration vs government. In the US, it's "the Bush Administration." In Canada, it's "the Harper Government."

Lieutenant is pronounced "lef-tenant."

The Prime Minister of Canada is one of the most powerful elected offices in the the world. The PM is more powerful within Canada than the US president is within the US.

In the US, "the Founding Fathers." In Canada, "the Fathers of Confederation."

1. Canadians invented kerosene (Gesner), radio and sonar and long-distance power transmission and (all Fessenden, though few know that!), and javascript, and.....

2. Saskatchewan isn't that flat but people don't drive through hills there much, like going from Moose Jaw to Coronach or North of North Battleford, people tend to drive in the plains.

3. We have toques and kraft dinner, not wool caps and whatver Americans call Kraft Dinner.

4. We like Crispie Crunch bars.

5. We know what a block heater is, and many Chicagoans wish they did!

6. We forgive easily, especially when people stereotype us.

7. We never elected... you know, the guy down south.

8. We find it funny when people want to take bears shopping (bears 'maul' people), think we light fires under our cars (block heaters), and think we're all bilingual from our cereal boxes.
    Time and Tide, no, wait.
    Go Leafs, Go Stamps, Go Omega Flight!

Default Re: Common mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    I had to jump on this in the name of cultural exchange...

Most Yanks of MY acquaintence don't hold politicians in any particular regard. We probably have more outright hatred for ours than you guys, do actually. Never having lived in Canada, I can't be sure, but don't let CNN fool you. We regard our politcians with a mixture of loathing, apathy, and grudging support, for the most part.
    Hmmm... Sorry, I just looked at some survey's and went on the opinions of some American aquaintances. I know that clearly there are alot of people who go against what I'm saying. Probably the majority. I just remember all those people after 9/11 going "you disagree with the president? You hate America!" Or many other things like that. I need to do some travelling in the states for a while I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    5. We use British spelling for many words. (it would be nice for the Canadians to say "colour" in their talk balloons as that is the word the character is pulling out of their head.)

I learned to write "color" at school, but I just figured out the writing was different from US to Canada to Great Britain, to Autralia, only some years ago and I'm still confused about it. Does it show?

In french, it's one way only, but we do use and accept words that are not accepted in France. Mostly, it got to do with the feminisation of some words and fonction. Like the word "ministre" should always be a masculin word (le ministre) if we follow the french official way. In Québec, some say we are a matriarcal society, we just use "la ministre" if it's a woman and "le ministre" if it's a man. You are doing the same in your place Canucklehead?

Politics:
    1. We wouldn't publicize and empeach a Prime Minister for have sexual relations with a secretary... frankly we'd rather not think about Harper having sex.
    Lol, I totally agree.

Now as for the common mistakes in French culture, I will give it up to the lovely syvalois! Your turn!
    I would have loved to heard from you. From your shiak/acadian perspective, it would be nice and if you don't agree with me correct me, please.

I said most of the stuff I have complaint with already.

-Most of the expressions used after Byrne and even during byrne where not good.

-I don't always say "mon cher" or "ma chère" or "mon chéri" or "ma chérie"

-fun fact I learned talking to a Montrealer that the building seen in the Nemesis/Deadly Ernest issue, where symbols of the british/anglophone empire. One was the Queen Elizabeth hotel, do I need to explain? and the other is the Sunlife building. The Sun Life head office gone from Montreal because the province asked their employee to learn french (and I'm not explaining more, too complicated)see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec9/, I did not read everything but it should be good.

-Québec do not equal Montreal. There are other cities in the province. There is a big rivalry between Montreal, the comopolitan, the multiethnic, the north american city versus Québec city, the capital, the historic, the more europeen. Just think Canadiens vs Nordiques, that was the glory days and till that day some Nordiques fan do hate with all their heart the Canadiens hockey club.

-I found that too, that may help http://www.zompist.com/quebec.html

-In wikipedia, they explain a lot better Quebec French and I would recommend also a visit the lexicon and the profanity. There are also link to the acadian and shiak part but I think Canucklehead is the expert there.

-I hope the FLQ or "a separatist terrorist group" never comes up again, in AF or OF, but just if it's done remember that the FLQ happened during a period called "the quiet revolution".

- If you want to immigrate http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...pressions.html

-A little fun quiz about quebec expressions http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?quiz=38315
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I still feel like being a board hog, so that's what I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsquatch
    Some nit-picking:

"We don't take politics so seriously out here. We just vote for whoever will screw us the least." Really? I thought Maritimers just voted Liberal.
    Haha, Maritime politics are actually pretty funny. In Nova Scotia the same parties generally win in the same areas every election, with only small changes. Last election was 6 Liberals, 3 conservatives, 2 NDP. Provinicially though it goes like this: 9 Liberals (!), 20 NDP (Read: Every riding in Halifax and Dartmouth,) and 23 Conservatives (the rural voters like their Tories.)

So were the Inuit, and yet they still are Canadian.

"Cape Breton might be getting its own space center." Pigs might fly.
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...816?hub=Canada

"We wouldn't publicize and empeach a Prime Minister for have sexual relations with a secretary." English Canada is very puritanical. In Ontario, a cabinet minister was fired for appearing as a "Sunshine Boy." (During the Rae government.)
    I think it depends... Generally we are very demanding about this sort of thing. But only to our non-Prime Ministers. I mean Jean Chretien throttled someone and Sir John A was an alcoholic, (and Ralph Klein too,) and we really didn't care that much. Not to mention the endless exploits of Pierre Trudeau... But for others... Rodney MacDonald has gotten hell for splitting up with his wife!! Its not so much that Canadians are Puritanical as it is Canadians are just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsquatch
    Newspapers now prefer "color" over "colour."
    While we do use both spellings for alot of things, and sometimes only American spellings, and sometimes only British spellings, a search of google news revealed no instances of the word "Color" on a Canadian news site, where a search of "Colour" revealed one on the first page. Furthermore, every individual newspaper I looked up included multiple usages of both spellings. So in my mind the character's word balloons should say "Colour" sometimes and "color" at others.

As to the whole Marijuana thing... You aren't gonna see that stuff get legalized for a while, but you could also walk up to a cop and blow smoke in his face and he wouldn't arrest you. The cops only care about the dealers, and don't give a damn about petty posession.

1. We have a Candy here called "Smarties" (not at all like american ones.) Think of M&M's, but sweeter. Its against the law to eat the red smarties before all other smartie colours have been consumed. Actually, upon closer inspection, it seems that American's are lacking a whole load of our candy, hence the website http://www.canadiansweets.com/

2. We have Donairs. Basically these are the craziest drugs you can ever imagine but they're only found here.

3. In Canada you see milk with the word HOMO in big letters on the carton. (Homogenized.)

4. I still say eh, and I'm a young Canadian. I only say it occasionally though, and usually at the end of the question. I will also ask "How's she going?" Islanders tend to turn that into "How's she going bye? (boy)"

5. WTF is Macaroni and Cheese? Its Kraft Dinner, and it keeps us alive.

6. Poutine: Possibly the world's, nay, DEFINATELY the world's greatest food.

7. We use Celsius here. (Some old people use the Imperial system but whatever.) Though in all honestly we use both systems. I know my weight in pounds and kilo's, (technically that's mass...) 30 cm's approximately = 12 inches, and so on. But the Metric system is definately used more.

8. In some places a "Mickey" is a 13 ounce curved bottle of liquor. In Nova Scotia we call them pints (regardless of the fact that a pint would be 16 ounces I think.) They're built to fit into the pocket.

9. The day after Christmas is Boxing day.

10. Housecoat = bathrobe.

11. Couch, or chesterfield (I really don't think anyone uses this anymore though...) is usually used in place of Sofa.

12. I hear the words Arse and Bum aren't used in the states. Let me know if thats true.

13. Do you guys call them corner stores? (Convienence stores)

14. We sales tax people up the wazoo. Its 14 percent in Nova Scotia right now. For everything. It vary's from province to province though.

15. No one here waits "on line." We wait "in line." and in "lineups."

16. More Quebecers love pepsi than coke. This is true.

17. Canadians generally say "The States" or "the U.S." and not "America." I believe this comes from the fact that the continent is called "North America." I dunno though.

18. Tarbish. A card game only Cape Bretoners know. If you want Caper's to love you Mr. Oeming, you should mention it.

19. If someone says the word "Yank" or "Yankee" we don't associate that with a certain part of the states, just the whole of America.

20. "No-see-um" They're awful!

21. We don't say sack, we say bag. (Usually)

Note: I actually looked up a few of these cultural differences, so they may not all be correct. But some of them are, because I'm Canadian, and I know how things are said. Feel free to educate me back if I'm incorrect!![/list]

We've got some in Alaska, too.

1. We have a Candy here called "Smarties" (not at all like american ones.) Think of M&M's, but sweeter. Its against the law to eat the red smarties before all other smartie colours have been consumed. Actually, upon closer inspection, it seems that American's are lacking a whole load of our candy, hence the website http://www.canadiansweets.com/
    Thanks a heap. Now I crave Aero Bars (picked up the taste on my drive south)

11. Couch, or chesterfield (I really don't think anyone uses this anymore though...) is usually used in place of Sofa.
    Everybody I know calls 'em couches.

12. I hear the words Arse and Bum aren't used in the states. Let me know if thats true.
    We know what they mean, but we don't use 'em as often. Well, I use 'em, but that's because I like the sound of 'em. "Arse" is occasionally used when we're obviously joking.

Only if they're on a corner.

15. No one here waits "on line." We wait "in line." and in "lineups."
    It's "in line' the ervybody I know. As in, "I was in the goddamn DMV line for six hours yeaterday."

17. Canadians generally say "The States" or "the U.S." and not "America." I believe this comes from the fact that the continent is called "North America." I dunno though.
    More power to you.

One I noticed-

Stateside, the PC name for the people who were here first is "Native American." In Canada, the label "First Nation" is apparently the PC choice.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Also, we have Metis, I don't think there's an American equivalent.

The U.S. Smarties are different? How?

Crispy Crunch is the best selling chocolate bar here, my favorite too though I don't eat chocolate bars anymore (OK, maybe two a year).

CFL is awesome.

Most American pop has caffeine added, way more than I ever knew. We don't allow U.S. produced pop in my town anymore due to healthy eating policies.

Our leagues play for championships to win trophies, not to be 'super' or claim the local league makes us world best (Grey Cup, Stanley Cup, I've picked up both!! Yes, the Stanley Cup would be tough to handle on skates)

We have lots of slang for underwear (gotch, gitch, etc.). Not sure how region specific that is, though

I have a chesterfield, but it's a couch.

I wore mukluks as a kid, gave a pair to my brother at Christmas.

People in Canadian territories can vote in Federal elections! How about that!

When a guy wears a Maple Leaf uniform we don't call him Captain Canada (Britain, America) but Guardian

A guy with one leg who ran for charity is one of our greatest heroes.

We put a fishing boat on our dimes. Bluenose!

A lot of us are bisystematic (metric and imperial).

3 downs, not 4, it's 3 downs (but a good joke: in the CFL you get four downs too, but we punt on third down just to be safe)

Too late to think of more. 'Night evryone.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Also, we have Metis, I don't think there's an American equivalent.

Not a PC one.

But those Santa or the Inuit feel canadians? We should ask Santa

6. Poutine: Possibly the world's, nay, DEFINATELY the world's greatest food.

greatest and poutine do not go together unless there is the word "disgusting" use with it. like we say in french : "une bonne poutine dégueulasse !" It looks awful, it got zero nutriment, absolutly superbe for a high cholesterol, nothing good except it taste great most of all at 3:00 Am after a night dancing. Maybe that will kept you up a little bit longer since it's vey hard to digest, but you know, it's a tradition, you got to keep that up. :P to see a real poutine. I like it better with sausages. My boyfriend likes better the italian poutine.

DĂ©panneur for me

16. More Quebecers love pepsi than coke. This is true.
    yes, it is

The U.S. Smarties are different? How?
    Yes, what is different?

Crispy Crunch is the best selling chocolate bar here, my favorite too though I don't eat chocolate bars anymore (OK, maybe two a year).
    Since my friend worked in a chocolaterie, I'm a fan of regional chocolate production. The small local chocolate shop, I'm addict to it. You can't never go back to aero or coffee crips at best Lindt, but the local shop is the best.

if you say chesterfield I would not know what you are talking about. I thought it was a gun at some point. couch or sofa, I will understand. I call them divan.

[quote]Stateside, the PC name for the people who were here first is "Native American." In Canada, the label "First Nation" is apparently the PC choice.[quote]

autochtones or amérindiens are the good terms in french.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Be glad you're not Australian.

You'd be amazed some of the bad mistakes I've seen. Like that issue of Young Justice, where they put a huge, Alpine mountain in the middle of Sydney. I figured Sydney must have installed it in the time since I'd last been there--which was about a week before I read the issue.

Ooh, and Sydney isn't our national capital, either! (Least DC get it right, even if they don't know what the capital -looks like-.)

- Le Messor
    "Anticipatory plagiarism occurs when someone steals your idea and publishes it a hundred years before you were born."
    - Robert Merton

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor

Ooh, and Sydney isn't our national capital, either! (Least DC get it right, even if they don't know what the capital -looks like-.)
    Someone called Sydney the capital of Australia?

Its obviously Melbourne!!

I've always though of Australia as the Canada's Southern Equivilant

Nope nobody uses those. Except in joking.

Depending on where you live in the U.S. they would be called convienence stores. Or simply gas stations. In some parts of the country (mainly the South) some people may refer to them as general stores.

Makes sense, but many people living in the States and abroad I've heard, refer to the United States as America. Factually, not really correct, but its been that way for along time.

19. If someone says the word "Yank" or "Yankee" we don't associate that with a certain part of the states, just the whole of America.
    That what I've heard from many different places from around the world. I know usually noones means anything by it, but it has always irked me a bit. I live in Iowa now, but I'm from Virginia. So I never have liked anyone calling me a Yank or Yankee. Call me an American, Virginian, or maybe even an Iowan (Yanks aren't usually bad people ), or a Reb or a Rebel, but don't ever call me a Yank. But like I said non U.S. people, usually don't use the term Yankee in a bad way, so no biggie.[/quote]