Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Canadian Major City and Why?

Default What's Your Favorite Canadian Major City and Why?

What's your favorite Canadian major city and why?

I've only been to Niagra Falls, so I can't justly answer my own thread. Shame, I know! I'd LOVE to see Montreal. How about you all, though? Preferences based on experience, just passing through, because your favorite Alphan lives(d) there, or maybe you just saw a particular one featured on the Travel Channel? Share, please!
    I'm Northstar's clone in looks and personality. It weirds me out, and I'm even a fan.

I just realized this thread is in the totally wrong section. My apologies. Anyone know how to move it?
    I'm Northstar's clone in looks and personality. It weirds me out, and I'm even a fan.

Admittedly, my experience has been limited, and I'm not sure what constitutes a "major city." I'll just go with my favorite stopovers

1) Vancouver, B.C. Vancouver was just fun.
    2) Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Reminds me of home so much I almost cried when I left.

Hmmm... got a couple more. Will edit as I go back down memory lane.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Canadian Major City and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousVelocity
    What's your favorite Canadian major city and why?

I've only been to Niagra Falls, so I can't justly answer my own thread. Shame, I know! I'd LOVE to see Montreal. How about you all, though? Preferences based on experience, just passing through, because your favorite Alphan lives(d) there, or maybe you just saw a particular one featured on the Travel Channel? Share, please!
    I'm from Niagara Falls, if we're a major city I'll eat my hat.

I love Quebec City, well, old Quebec. I haven't really been outside the walls.

Vancouver, bar none. Montreal was beautiful to visit but I think too big for my tastes. Vancouver was just so easy to get around, no snow on the streets and so many things to do all year round. I cleaned snow out of my boot on top of a mountain one morning, then got a tan on the beach that afternoon. Great people too.

I've lived in Toronto, Winnipeg, and now Victoria, and have passed through Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, and Vancouver (amongst others)... as well as having been all over the Maritimes as a young child. I was born in New Brunswick.

I have to say that while I initially had some trouble adjusting to Victoria, it is a beautiful city... virtually everything is within walking distance, ie. 1 hour, very few if any buildings soar above 10 stories and none of them are downtown, there are trees, flowers and greenary everywhere and everywhen, and there seems to always be something going on... even if it isn't BIG pop-culture stuff.

Saskatoon. Little crime, lots of trees, a river, a great university, friends up their, good bookstores and libraries, nice swimming pools, clean.
    Time and Tide, no, wait.
    Go Leafs, Go Stamps, Go Omega Flight!

Personnally, I would go back in Quebec City anytime. No sex club downtown, great architectures, downtown is in uppertown :P . Most of all a great sense of history, great view, lot of hills lot of place to walk. Lot of wind, big winter. A little bit of Europe in North America. Good beer, good restaurants. What can I say? I'm a little bit biased.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

From personal experience I'd have to say Quebec City, but if I could say a city I've never even been to it would be Vancouver, for several reasons, such as UBC and the fact that its the number one city in the world to live in (tied with Oslo.) The only thing bringing it down is all that crime.

Well, having only been to five 'major' cities in Canada (Yellowknife - my hometown -, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Whitehorse), I'd say my experiences are a bit for naught.

As I said, I was raised in the North, and while it has it's own nostalgia, you won't get me back up there without a LOT of kicking and screaming. Same with the Prairie cities (Edmonton is just plain UGLY, any time of the year. Calgary's not that bad, but still too flat for my tastes). And Vancouver... Well, that city is just too plain BIG for me, tho and interesting place nonetheless.

What can I say, I'm a small-town boy at heart.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Wow! Amazing replies, people. Thank you so much! I have to admit my knowledge of Canada is limited to the Alpha Flight comics and what research I could do online (I know, I know, horrible). Oh, and I also saw the South Park movie tonight for the first time ever. Such bashing of our northern border friends! Still...kinda funny. Anyway, from reading what you all have had to say, though, it sounds like a great place to visit. Of course, visiting "Canada" is easier said than done, but maybe a few major hotspots or cities. Keep your replies coming, though, I'd love to hear more! Who knows, maybe a trip is on the horizon. Thanks, again!

Montreal, beautiful city, good food, and some of the best strip joints I've ever been in.

I've only ever been to Toronto. I liked it, it seemed very cosmopolitan. Ontario Place was fun.

I've been to several Canadian cities over the past twenty years-- Windsor, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Montreal -- and I'd be hard pressed to say which one I liked best, as I've loved them all.

If I HAD to pick an absolute favorite, I would have to give Ottawa a slight edge. It was a city which combined the old and the new in a charming way. I especially liked the Parliament buildings and Rideau canal; plus, a restaurant I once visited, called Memories. (Wonder if it's still there? It's been twenty years! )

Incidentially, I went by 138A Laurier Drive, (the Hudsons' old address). It looked NOTHING like the comic. Instead of a two-family, frame house, I remember it as a small glass-and-steel office-type building. I wonder where John Byrne got this for an address.

Hello all...

My favorite Canadian city is Vancouver but Toronto would be a close second.