Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recent Reads

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    You must be talkin' about the Red Guardian? The Soviet Union's answer to Captain America. (Without the Super-Soilder Serum of course.)
    That sounds about right.

S'funny... I "met" the Protectorate at about the same time I met Alpha Flight, during the Combine story.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Red Guardian later became 'Steel Guardian' after the People's Protectorate was transfered over from the Super Soviets, to reflect Russia's change from Communism to Democracy.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian3d
    Hey what about Captain Canuck and Major Mapleleaf. They were cool? Right? ...right?
    (Don't throw veggies at me I'm only kidding)
    'course not!

Around here, we throw pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    I like Union Jack, he's a cool guy. That's all I gotta say. Infact, I like most nationalistic super heroes, everyone ends up pissed at their country at some point, and adds a cool pluralistic quality to an individualic identity and profession. Good stuff...
    I too have always enjoyed most if not all of the nationalistic heroes as well. There's so many: Captain America, American Dream, U.S. Agent, Battlestar, Spirit of '76, Union Jack, Captain Britian, Sabra, Guardian. Among many others.
    There were some others of less importance, and I mean to the reader, they could be hella cool in the fiction's own country. Rember Super Heroes of Europe from that Sentry comic. Most died and didn't do much, but they were there... they were always there...

Major Mapleleaf fan here! More the Senior than the Junior, of course.

Sure, they've both suffered from crappy writers, but hey, we're talking AF here, so they're in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    You must be talkin' about the Red Guardian? The Soviet Union's answer to Captain America. (Without the Super-Soilder Serum of course.)
    That sounds about right.

S'funny... I "met" the Protectorate at about the same time I met Alpha Flight, during the Combine story.
    Poor Red Guardian though. The latest was executed in Captain America #1 (vol. 5) by Gen. Lukin.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Red Guardian later became 'Steel Guardian' after the People's Protectorate was transfered over from the Super Soviets, to reflect Russia's change from Communism to Democracy.
    Yeah I think the Red Guardian of that time took the name Steel Guardian when he joined a team called the Winter Guard.