Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC #65-Hughes vs. Georges St.

Default UFC #65-Hughes vs. Georges St.

Wooo...anyone watch it? Matt Hughes vs. the Canadian Georges St. Pierre

spoilers:

The French Canadian is the new Welterwight champion of the world. Go Canada!!!!

Default Re: UFC #65-Hughes vs. Georges St.

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi

spoilers:

GSP is sponsored by the company that runs a weightlifting forum I hang out on. They did an interview with him just before the fight, and it impressed the Hell out of me. The man's old school -- a beast in the ring, but an utter gentleman outside it. I was glad to hear he won, and did so in an utterly dominating manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott

spoilers:

GSP is sponsored by the company that runs a weightlifting forum I hang out on. They did an interview with him just before the fight, and it impressed the Hell out of me. The man's old school -- a beast in the ring, but an utter gentleman outside it. I was glad to hear he won, and did so in an utterly dominating manner.
    I believe I saw him interviewed on the UFC show on Spike TV recently and he came off great there too. Not like one of those "I'm the greatest of all times" clowns.

Good for him. I had not heard the results of that fight. =D>

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    I believe I saw him interviewed on the UFC show on Spike TV recently and he came off great there too. Not like one of those "I'm the greatest of all times" clowns.

Good for him. I had not heard the results of that fight. =D>
    Round and a half, apparently. Utter domination. He simply dismantled Hughes... who apparently handled his defeat with a solid measure of class himself. A nice change, there.

Hughes comments about the French and Canada showed little class of him, I lost a great deal of respect for him.

Hughes comments about the French and Canada showed little class of him, I lost a great deal of respect for him.
    What did he say?
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Here's the post match interview.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    What did he say?
    Here.....

"I'm from America and I think we're fighters, as a country,"[/i] Hughes said last week. "I don't see you guys venturing out trying to help the world out, we'll say that."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing...adlines-sports
    ----
    This was nothing to what else he said, but this is the only online version I could find

edit: He probally didn't mean it, just a way to get into GSP's head as during the actual fight both were very respectful to each other
    =====
    http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...2850390&k=5757

"Who wants to lose to a Canadian in a street fight?"

"Georges is French and the French didn't make war with us. They don't have a real warrior spirit. They don't have any heart. So the fight is going to be easy. Georges is going to give up because of that."
    ===
    Here is the rest of the interview with Hughes comments about Canada, and some I havn't heard

lol, that guy is not french, he's from Québec. Can't you hear the accent? Sound like my boyfriend talking in english. And I thought you where talking about westling, not ultimate fighting. And just to to be a pain, he's name is Georges St-Pierre.

As for the rest, Hughes just as shown how ignorant he is. He can't make the difference a french and a quebecer.
    -Obélix

As for the rest, Hughes just as shown how ignorant he is. He can't make the difference a french and a quebecer.
    I used to frequent the Delphi forums and got to know a number of the "regulars" on those, and when the Iraq war was starting, a number of Americans taking shots at the France would apologize to me afterwards or say "no offense".

Appreciate the sentiment, but why would I take offense? I'm not French. I used to have a Canadian flag under my avatar there too, like I do here. A surprising number of non-Canadians just assume that you're a French immigrant or something.

And just to to be a pain, he's name is Georges St-Pierre.
    Errrr...look at my first post again.

lol, that guy is not french, he's from Québec.
    That always cracks me up. I mean, I realize that there is a difference. Just like there are differences between a Brit, a Canuck, and Aussie and a Yank, but we are all English.

St.Pierre is of French heritage. It's where he got his language, name and ancestry from, not tomention his received rleigion and a fair ammount of his culture. And despite what the people of France did in one single war, when the enemy was right on top of them before they'd even gotten out of bed, with a gun to the heads of their wives and children, when have the French EVER shown a lack of warrior spirit or ability? When? They toppled Monarchy after monarchy before the Yanks ever got around to it.

No to dis the more intune-with-reality Amercians, but if they want to throw stones, the question begs to be asked; where were they in the opening years of both the big wars? Hiding behind the Atlantic? And the Brits... and the Canadians...the French-Canadians too?

Seriously though, no offense meant. Just pointing out that we can all find reason to take potshots.

I wish I had have seen the Pieerre/Hughes fight. Any prediction on the upcoming Liddel vs. Ortiz? I say Liddel spanks Ortiz... again.

And just to to be a pain, he's name is Georges St-Pierre.
    Errrr...look at my first post again.
    That's why I said I was a pain. Look at the dot between the St and Pierre and look at how I wrote it. Stupid hein? But it's a sign of what is written in french or in english. I know, it's really nothing and I'm been a real pain, but you know, it's one of those little things...
    -Obélix

That's why I said I was a pain. Look at the dot between the St and Pierre and look at how I wrote it. Stupid hein? But it's a sign of what is written in french or in english. I know, it's really nothing and I'm been a real pain, but you know, it's one of those little things...
    Ideally that's what Georges fights under though:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=figh...eHolders&cid=3

No it's fine, if no one says anything nothing will get changed

Ideally that's what Georges fights under though:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=figh...eHolders&cid=3

No it's fine, if no one says anything nothing will get changed
    Anglophone site. look

here
    and here
    and here is the Hour an free newspaper like magazine published in english for Montreal.

You want more? Like in scotland, trying to get my name written Valois was almost impossible, I always had Valios and the time I tried to changed it, it came back Volais. So, I guess, in he's case, just for a dot, you don't argue much
    :P
    -Obélix