Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Help- Toronto!

Default Omega Help- Toronto!

WHat are the two tallest buildings in Toronto? What goes on in them? Are they for specific use or are they of various offices?

Yes, I can look it up for myself, but how fun will it be if it makes it in the book and there you are reading something you helped to research?
    Thanks in advance!
    M!
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

Default Re: Omega Help- Toronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    WHat are the two tallest buildings in Toronto? What goes on in them? Are they for specific use or are they of various offices?

Yes, I can look it up for myself, but how fun will it be if it makes it in the book and there you are reading something you helped to research?
    Thanks in advance!
    M!
    The tallest building is the CN Tower. At a height of 553.33m (1,815 ft., 5 inches), it is Canada’s National Tower, the World's Tallest Building(Until China builds the one they are planning), an important telecommunications hub, and the centre of tourism in Toronto. The tower is a tourist attraction, has the most amazing view. I have't been sine I was a kid, but it left a stron impression. You on the observation deck and standing on a glass floor to see the city below you. It's worth noting that in most distance shots of the tower you can see the Rogers Dome (formerly named the Sky Dome) quite close to it. There is a great restoraunt at the top of the tower. They have a the worlds hight winery there, a Marketplace with 10,000 square feet of retail space, and a motion simulator ride at the bottom.

As for the second tallest building, someone from TO will prolly have to fill that in, but it's probably a bank or insurance office building.

Ben

isn't the building in Singapore the worlds tallest? maybe the cn tower is the worlds tallest free standing structure? i could have swore that it was but I'm probably wrong.

never mind, just looked it up. the cn tower is the worlds largest tower. the building i was referring to is in Taiwan, not Singapore, so I'm going to go back to my hole.

Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Default Re: Omega Help- Toronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Oeming

Thanks in advance!
    M!
    The tallest building is the CN Tower. At a height of 553.33m (1,815 ft., 5 inches), it is Canada’s National Tower, the World's Tallest Building(Until China builds the one they are planning), an important telecommunications hub, and the centre of tourism in Toronto. The tower is a tourist attraction, has the most amazing view. I have't been sine I was a kid, but it left a stron impression. You on the observation deck and standing on a glass floor to see the city below you. It's worth noting that in most distance shots of the tower you can see the Rogers Dome (formerly named the Sky Dome) quite close to it. There is a great restoraunt at the top of the tower. They have a the worlds hight winery there, a Marketplace with 10,000 square feet of retail space, and a motion simulator ride at the bottom.

As for the second tallest building, someone from TO will prolly have to fill that in, but it's probably a bank or insurance office building.

Ben
    I climbed that bad boy this past spring for the WWF**. That's a long way up. You dont get a goo sense of it from pictures. You get a great sense of it coming in by train the day before. Also right around the time you hit floor 20 and realize you're less than a fifth of the way up.

**The charity, not the wrestlers.

This is a nice side-profile of the Toronto skyline. You'll find that most of the big towers to the right of the CN are in the financial district off of Bay Street and that most are bank HQs, law firms, etc. The previously linked "list of tallest buildings" is pretty easy to match up to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Street

Bay street = Canadian wall street if you didn't feel like reading the wiki.

Cabbage town = That nice part of Toronto full of wealthy people and shacks worth five hundred thousands dollars and a store owned by the mob if I remember correctly.

EXTRA INFO: By the way, Mr. Oeming, if you wanna sound knowledgeable, feel free to have Torontonians and other Canadians call Toronto "Hogtown."

P.S.

Make sure to pay attention to somewhere outside of Ontario... If you want an economic boomtown Alberta's your place right now! Where else can you get paid $17 an hour to work part time at McDonalds!!?

Though personally, I think you should pay some attention to my hometown of Halifax! Its a pretty special place! Just ask Steve McNiven and Scott Pilgrim's Bryan Lee O'Malley. (In fact I'm pretty sure that any Canadian comic book should donate one cell to Strange Adventures Comicbook store... Ask Steve McNiven about it!)

The CN Tower is the big one. Asides from that, most of the real tall skyscrapers in Toronto belong to the five big banks - Royal Bank, Scotia Bank, Bank of Montreal, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), and Toronto Dominion. I think all of the big black towers in the skyline are theirs.

It's worth noting that in most distance shots of the tower you can see the Rogers Dome (formerly named the Sky Dome) quite close to it.
    It's the Rogers Centre now. Most of us Torontonians still call it the SkyDome though. Renaming it was a dumb idea.

Here's a list of the buildings from tallest to smallest with the heights in metres:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/?id=100993

Not too many people call the city Hogtown, except maybe for some of the older generation or jokingly. A lot of folks call it: T.O. (like Terrel Owens) for short, or, for those of us who live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), we simply call it downtown.

The Rogers Dome is usually just called the Dome.

The Air Canada Centre (note the spelling of centre) is next to the Dome and is where The Raptors (basketball) and the Maple Leafs (hockey) teams play. It's called the A.C.C. for short.

Another main location is Union Station located at the SW corner of Yonge St and Front St. This is the main hub of public transit with the provincially run G.O. (pronounced: go) trains and buses (Government of Ontario), the city run buses and subway systems known as the T.T.C. (Toronto Transit Commission) and the underground PATH system of stores and passages that run beneath the center of the city.

Another beautiful area is Kensington Market which is a terrific neighbourhood full of small shops. Here's a link:

http://www.toronto.com/attractions/listing/000-213-802

And here's the main website for the city:

www.toronto.ca

Not a particularly nice thing, but I've heard a lot of people say that they feel Torontonians act like their city is at the center of the universe, or that they like to "pretend" that they belong in the same sentence as New York, Los Angeles, etc.

But I couldn't say anything, because I'm from the Capital of Corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Not a particularly nice thing, but I've heard a lot of people say that they feel Torontonians act like their city is at the center of the universe, or that they like to "pretend" that they belong in the same sentence as New York, Los Angeles, etc.

But I couldn't say anything, because I'm from the Capital of Corruption.
    And that... Is why Maritimers will sometimes refer to Toronto as Hogtown. Not because of its original meaning but in a derisive way: "Oooh, look at me! I'm from Toronto and have a PhD in philosophy!" Pish! Stupid Toronto. Except the Leafs. The Leafs Rock. Particularly Darcy Tucker. He's the man.

Oh, here's another thing. If the Leafs are playing in the playoffs and they win a big game... The city goes crazy. I mean I'm a fan but that was rediculous!! (Don't ever "fictionally" have the Leafs win the stanley cup though.... I can only suspend my disbelief so much.)

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    The Leafs Rock. Particularly Darcy Tucker. He's the man.
    eyes... bleeding... I never understood how his own mother could stand him.

It always amazes me how people have to bad mouth others so they can feel better about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    It always amazes me how people have to bad mouth others so they can feel better about themselves.
    Hey I'm a Habs fan, I have to hate him. It's in the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Hey I'm a Habs fan, I have to hate him. It's in the rule book.
    Oh no, Canucklehead, that wasn't aimed at you. (Secretly I like the Habs too... don't tell anyone though) I was refering to the posts pissin' on T.O.