Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Quebec City!!

Default Hello from Quebec City!!

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!It's here we have to introduce ourselves so here I go!
    I'm Irisbleu from Québec City (originally from the small city of Rimouski in the Bas Saint-Laurent region, near Gaspésie, QC) and yes, I've recently discovered Alpha Flight!
    I've been a huge x-men fan for many years now, I'm also a big manga/anime fan (some people tell me that you can't like comics and manga at the same time, but that not true). I also like European cartoons.

It was pretty cool for me to see that there were 2 characters from Quebec in Alpha (well, I'm saying there are two, but are there more? ).

By the way, are there more people from the province of Qubec on this forum?

I'm sorry for my bad English oops: , having an Irish boyfriend for years didn't help me much since he only wanted to speak French to me! I'm trying very hard to pratice 'cause I'm doing a Master degree and I need to publish articles in English. And I'd like to finish my master in Calgary or Toronto, so....

Anyway, nice to see ya!!

Bonjour, and don't worry about your English. I speak English as my first language and I'm terrible at it :P

Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your stay.

Irisbleu meet Sylvie, Sylvie meet Irisbleu.

Welcome to the forum, make yerself at home in the cupboard.

Ben

Welcome, Irisbleu! Glad to meet you, such as it is!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Thanks to you all! My, people are friendly here, that's great!
    I've been on some annoying Marvel forums lately....

Thank you for baring my awful English!!

Your English looks fine to me so far. Welcome aboard.

Bienvenue Irisbleu, nice to know I'm not the only person from Québec now. Don't worry about your english, they are suffering mine for years and they don't complaint. Disons que c'est une bonne place pour pratiquer ton anglais, parce que sans ce forum je ne pratiquerais vraiment pas mon anglais écrit.

As for only having 2 quebecers in AF, there seems to be also Murmur from volume 2 but well, she's a real bimbo, full stereotype, wouach. You know speaking very bad english : like zee iz wat she sound like. Even if she was raised in Ontario and her father seems to be François Truffaut, you know the french director. So, you did not missed much.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Hey Irisbleu, welcome to Alpha Waves! Don't worry about your english, and the folks here are normally always friendly.

Thank you, thank you!

Nows, I zust vonder vhy they make French people talk like zat, lol!!! That sounds like Inspector Clouseau to me (you know, the Pink Panther!)

I saw in the member list that there is somebody from Granby too (Qc)

it is simply to show that they have an accent, same reason that cut off letters of words that Mr. Jefferies says because he's got a hick type accent...might not be PC but it is to help make characters

Quote Originally Posted by Irisbleu
    Thank you, thank you!
    I saw in the member list that there is somebody from Granby too (Qc)
    Yeah, but he never post anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    it is simply to show that they have an accent, same reason that cut off letters of words that Mr. Jefferies says because he's got a hick type accent...might not be PC but it is to help make characters
    ok, then imagine your texas accent been written as if you where an englishman... Well, that's how close quebecer accents are to Inspecteur Clouseau accent, it's all wrong. I don't mind accent, but at least get it a little bit right. Gambit accent sound a lot closer to my accent than what been given to Aurora and sometimes Northstar and I'm not talking about Murmur

-Obélix

Yeah, I guess Gambit cajun accent is closer to Quebec accent than the Inspecteur Clouseau akzent they gave to Northstar and Aurora.... But still, people from Quebec don't talk like people from Louisianna either... I guess it's hard to immitate....

I agree Irisbleu that a cajun and a quebecer don't have the same accent, but I know many complaint Gambit accent was not right for a cajun, maybe Tom would know better since he's in the cajun country. All I'm saying is that the written accent given to Gambit is closer to a quebecer accent than what as been given to Aurora and Northstar. That would be fun to compare, like how to make the difference between a french, quebec, cajun or acadian accent.

And I'm wondering if you and I are making the same mistakes when we write in english.
    -Obélix

Funny thing, I rememeber some comic callign Gambit "Acadian" once.

So maybe the writers just don;t realize the difference?
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Humm..... Cajun people in Louisianna have the same ancestores as the Acadians... But they became different over the centuries, I guess... I hope I'm not wrong....

Yes Syvalois, I think we might make the same kinds of mistakes, lol!
    One mistake I used to make in English (and I think I still make it sometimes) is using the article "the" too often, I mean, when it's not required.... Because in French, you always have to put an article in front of a noun.... That's a mistake lots of francophones do. And there is the fact we use too many "that" ("que" or "qui" in French).....