Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Byrne AF Commision

Default John Byrne AF Commision

Alpha Flight seems to be racking up the commisions at The John Byrne Forums.

Impressive
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I like last week's better, but I'd take either in a heartbeat.

Talisman seems a bit off, other than that though its pretty nice. I like the two images overlapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell
    I like last week's better, but I'd take either in a heartbeat.
    I'd go with last weeks as well Ryan, mainly because on the last two pics of Talisman there seems to be a problem with her mouth, nothing major. However that is a minor thing and the Wendigo more than makes up for it.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Shaman looks REALLLY good in this, liek i'm talking quality one of byrne's best Shamans... I love the detail

I actually thought how he overlapped the two images were pretty cool.

That is another amazing AF pic. Talisman's face is a bit strange, but I've noticed on a few of his recent commissions the characters' expressions are a bit exagerated (another example is his Storm pic).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I think Talisman tiara is not right. The center piece is not like that.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    That is another amazing AF pic. Talisman's face is a bit strange, but I've noticed on a few of his recent commissions the characters' expressions are a bit exagerated (another example is his Storm pic).

Dana
    I'd go with that, the first Storm did not look right at all, while the second, although better, still had that cartoony feel to it. That Shaman on the other hand is excellent and reinforces my choice for a commision if I could ever afford it.
    Del

Byrne is the Alpha Flight artist! His Aurora looks incredible. I wish he was still doing the book.

Seeing that Shaman makes me realise that Clayton's Shaman (although we didn't see much of him) wasn't far off facially.

Just beautiful.

It's good to see JB drawing Alpha again, and this is excellent.

He's at it again.
    Del

that pic looks strangely like mac with long hair.

interesting quote from mr. byrne:

I think I have mentioned before that, around 15 years ago, I came within hailing distance of "returning" to Alpha Flight. An openly Gay editor, up at Marvel, contacted me about an idea he had for a series with Northstar teamed with another character. I worked out some ideas, and we agreed on a game plan for the book. Then we submitted the proposal to the Powers That Were. It was rejected, based, we were told, on me asking "too much money" to do it. (For pencils, inks and script I was asking half what the Kubert bros. were getting just for pencils!)

It was pretty sad and obvious that the real reason the project was rejected was that the PTW were afraid to do a series with an openly homosexual lead.

To answer your other question -- yes, I do feel faint nostalgic tingles doing these AF pieces. Probably because it's nice to see them actually drawn well after all these years.*

*I refer to my own work on ALPHA, not that of others.