Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Movie Reviews

I loved the Iron Man movie. Best thing i have seen since Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
    Robert Downey Jr showed, again, why he is one of the world's great actors.
    Wish i had known about staying until the end of the credits, though. Missed out.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I just saw "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" with my son, and all I can say is, that it's wonderful! I would rate it better than "The Temple of Doom", and as good as "The Last Crusade". (The original, "Raiders of the Lost Ark", was the best.)

"The Crystal Skull" has enough action --as well as nostalgia-- to satisfy both old and new fans. (My husband, who saw the movie on opening night at a midnight show, said I'd really like the ending --and I did.) Hope you get to see and like this movie as much as we did.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I plan to see Indie next week. Meanwhilst, I loved Iron Man!

But I also saw recently a world premiere of a new stage musical: The Wall. Yes, the Pink Floyd one.
    I loved that! Wow! And it premiered here in Wint'ry Canberra.

- Le Messor
    "Metropolis has no heroes."
    - Clark Kent

I wasn't overly impressed with Iron Man. My problem with it was the main battle. With everything that had gone before and the great CGI, I was expecting a little more than what we got.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Hello all wanted to get to this sooner but things being things could not. Anywho. Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Only been waiting about 20 years for this one. Needles to say I had some expectations. I was able to avoid any and all spoilers so knew nothing going in. My only fear was that there might be to much focus on Indiana's age. I was dreading hearing to many "Im to old for this s---" comments. Glad to say that wasnt the case. After some early acknowledgment that he put on some years the movie got into gear. The textbook over the top opening action scene did not dissapoint and as the movie progressed I found myself enjoying the movie as if I was 10 years old all over again. Maybe my opinion is slightly influenced by nostalgia but I really really loved it. Over all I give it . If you liked the other Indiana Jones films I dont think you will be let down one bit.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Iron Man - Thumbs Up

Indiana Jones - Big Thumbs DOWN
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez
    Iron Man - Thumbs Up

What didnt you like about Indiana? I have not heard alot of negative. Im curious about what you thought.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Iron Man - Thumbs Up

What didnt you like about Indiana? I have not heard alot of negative. Im curious about what you thought.
    I thought the movie felt like a movie with Indiana Jones in it not an Indiana Jones movie, if that makes sense.

That and just a lot of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top scenes even for an Indy movie. I found myself rolling my eyes just way too often.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Iron Man - Thumbs Up

I thought the movie felt like a movie with Indiana Jones in it not an Indiana Jones movie, if that makes sense.

That and just a lot of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top scenes even for an Indy movie. I found myself rolling my eyes just way too often.
    Yeah the scenes where over the top as they usually are. I think maybe they made them more over the top to compensate for his age maybe. For me though it did feel like an Indy film. Before I went to see the midnight show I watched all 3 that day prior. Seeing them in sequence like that might have made the difference for me. Other than his appearence it felt somewhat seemless.

Well The Incredible Hulk is up next for me. I had high hopes for the Ang Lee version but like most did not enjoy it. This one looks to be like it should be good. Also stay after the credits. Apparently there is a scene which is some follow up to the bonus scene at the end of Iron Man.

Well My girlfriend is dragging me to see the movie the Strangers tonight. Its not something I was planning on seeing but we have a whole I pick than you pick thing worked out. Its supposed to be based on a true story so maybe it could be interesting. At least Ill have some nachos and cheese to get me through the whole thing should it be less than entertaining.

Images

I can see the 'not an Indy' thing. The time period and the paradigm shift (which affected both the villain and the phlebotenum) took it out of the original.

I thought it was a lot of fun, but not the best movie I've seen lately.

- Le Messor
    "If you are reading this sig, part one of my evil plan is complete!"
    - modified from a t-shirt

Images

I think 2008 will be remembered by people who are me as the year of 'I' movies:
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skrull
    Iron Skrull
    Incredible Hulk
    Prince Iaspian

I went to see the last one on Friday, but it sold out about the time I hit the line, but it turned out Hulk was on, so we watched that instead.

I enjoyed it. Not in danger of becoming a fave, but I enjoyed it. I think they did a good job; they combined lots of good bits about the TV series (including at least one bit of music) with bits of the comics, and made an overall good film. First Hulk movie I'm likely to buy.

- Le Messor
    (the following quote spoils a nice moment in the movie. Be ye warned.)

"Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry. No, that's not right."
    - Dr Banner, trying to talk Portuguese

I'm with Mick on this. I enjoyed the Hulk a lot. Nice to see that a writer can take the dross that went before and incorporate it in a believable way, so that the sequel is watchable and enjoyable. Preferred it to Iron Man.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Nice to see that a writer can take the dross that went before and incorporate it in a believable way, so that the sequel is watchable and enjoyable.
    I thought this was a retelling not a sequel, or are you refering to the TV series?