Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Astonishing Tales: Snowbird one-shot

  1. #1
    Administrator Department H
    rplass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USS Enterprise
    Posts
    2,523
    Images
    1507

    Default

    OMFG that's awesome news. It is likely to be published in book form eventually. If it's a one-shot that means we'll probably get just an 8pp story, not much going on there, I'm still thrilled...I was afraid it was completely scrapped out!

    Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

    http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

  2. #2

    Default Astonishing Tales: Snowbird one-shot

    Thanks to Man Bot on the Alpha Flight message board, I've just learned that the Astonishing Tales one-shot starring Snowbird is going to come out next week! (Thank you, Man Bot!)

    However, it is only available as a Marvel Comics digital download, which needs a subscription. I was expecting it to come out as a regular comic. Guess now I'll have to shell out money, (which I don't have a lot of), for a subscription to see it. Why does Marvel do this to us?

  3. #3
    Administrator Department H
    rplass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USS Enterprise
    Posts
    2,523
    Images
    1507

    Default

    Ah, it looks as if this issue will be printed in Feb 2010:

    Link for Marvel solicit

    MARVEL HEARTBREAKERS #1

    WRITER: Karl Bollers
    Kathryn Immonen
    Jim McCann
    Rick Spears
    PENCILS: James Callahan
    David Lopez
    Harvey Tolibao
    LARA WEST
    THE STORY:
    This Valentine’s Day, drop that box of chocolates and satisfy the inner romantic with an oversized helping of heartache! In these four spandex-ripping tales, the fabulous femmes of Marvel discover that there’s no such thing as love without tears…and that super powers won’t protect them from Cupid’s arrow! Will it be MJ Watson or Gwen Stacy that charges Peter Parker’s electrons? Can the girls of Nextwave survive a visit from the ghosts of boyfriends past? Is Snowbird in danger of letting her animal passions get the best of her? And must Dazzler choose between the stage and a certain fuzzy mutant hunk? Find out in this special filled with passion, power, and pain! Rated T …$3.99

    PRICE: 3.99
    IN STORES: February 3, 2010

    FORMAT: Comic
    That must be the digital comic, birdy.

    Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

    http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

  4. #4

    Default

    Thank you; oh, thank you, rplass! I finally gave in, and paid for a subscription to Marvel Digital Comics. But, I have been completely unable to access the Snowbird story, which was supposed to come out yesterday.

    The irony is, I have been able to read the other online comics with no trouble, but, with the newest "Astonishing Tales: Snowbird", all I get is, "Loading...loading...loading...loading...." Yesterday, I let it load for an hour, and still nothing. This morning, it was the same. I even fired off an e-mail to Marvel describing what happened, and got back a form reply to the effect that they would look into it. Has anyone else had any trouble trying to read this story?

    Thank you for letting me know that there will be a print version of this story. I was beginning to think that I'd never get to see it!

  5. #5
    Captain Wow Alpha Flight
    -K-M-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Or is that a different story with Snowbird?

  6. #6
    Alphamaniac Alpha Flight
    cmdrkoenig67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    State O' Maine
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    It's probably the same story...Or two different stories with the same solicit? :P
    Dana

    http://marvel.com/news/comicstories....olon~_Snowbird
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

  7. #7
    Administrator Department H
    rplass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USS Enterprise
    Posts
    2,523
    Images
    1507

    Default

    I put up a preview so you can see the first four pages without having to deal with the interface at the Marvel site.

    PREVIEW

    Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

    http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Captain Wow Alpha Flight
    -K-M-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    It's probably the same story...Or two different stories with the same solicit? :P
    Dana

    http://marvel.com/news/comicstories....olon~_Snowbird
    Oh didn't see the solicit for the digital coming out next week

    Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    I put up a preview so you can see the first four pages without having to deal with the interface at the Marvel site.

    PREVIEW

    Love,
    rplass
    That Kolomaq?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    Thank you; oh, thank you, rplass! I finally gave in, and paid for a subscription to Marvel Digital Comics. But, I have been completely unable to access the Snowbird story, which was supposed to come out yesterday.
    Gah! I read the first few pages on marvel.com but then tells me I have to subscribe.

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks again, rplass! I appreciate that you uploaded the first four pages of the Snowbird story.

    And more good news! Marvel FINALLY managed to put up the story on its website, so the whole story is now available.

    I think the "Marvel Heartbreakers" book in February will probably be a reprint of this story. Not everyone can afford to subscribe to Marvel Digital Comics. I only did it by deciding that this would be my only Christmas present this year. Well, it's worth it. Not only for the Birdie story, but I got to catch up on a lot of Marvel books I missed, ("X-Factor", for one).

    What did everyone think of this Snowbird story? I liked it, but wished it could have been longer. I would have liked to see a bit more of Narya's back story. (What exactly happened with her and Yukon Jack, anyway?) Or maybe some scenes, even in the past, with some Alpha Flight members. But then, it's supposed to be a"short-short", anyway. And the story stands well on its own.

  10. #10
    Captain Wow Alpha Flight
    -K-M-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    I only got to read 4 pages, but I liked it so far. Also was that Kolomaq that appeared?

  11. #11
    Administrator Department H
    rplass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USS Enterprise
    Posts
    2,523
    Images
    1507

    Default

    I only read the preview pages. I'll have to wait until Feb 2010 for the rest.

    SPOILER SPACE








    ...Alaska is not in Canada









    But, from what I saw so far, excellent. So far we saw the Northern Gods, her origin story, her purpose on Earth, realistic highbrow dialogue, a transformation into a wolverine, her ability to compel others to assist (in this case other wolverines), her unique post-cognitive powers and beautiful art (with the exception of boobies too big in that kneeling position). I particularly liked how she had the heightened sensory power of the animal while taking its form, a nice touch. I'm looking forward to the other 4 pages!

    Love,
    rplass

    EDIT: don't know if it's Kolomaq....good guess, though, I see two pairs of sinister eyes and two shadowy figures in the shadows to the left and right of Snowbird in the last panel of the 4th page, but it's hard to tell what that is.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

    http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

  12. #12
    Captain Wow Alpha Flight
    -K-M-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    EDIT: don't know if it's Kolomaq....good guess, though, I see two pairs of sinister eyes and two shadowy figures in the shadows to the left and right of Snowbird in the last panel of the 4th page, but it's hard to tell what that is.
    Oh I was basing it off of this page:

    http://marvel.com/i/content/10336new...226614x800.jpg

    EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, its not Kolomaq but [Spoiler]two new Great Beasts named Tiamaq and Herateq[End Spoiler]. Also rplass read your pms

  13. #13
    Alphamaniac Alpha Flight
    cmdrkoenig67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    State O' Maine
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    I only read the preview pages. I'll have to wait until Feb 2010 for the rest.

    SPOILER SPACE








    ...Alaska is not in Canada
    It is in the North American Arctic, though...Perhaps Snowbird's range covers Alaska too? Even though Shaman originally bound her physical form to the Canadian North/Arctic...Perhaps it's in reality her actual physical distance from the true Arctic that affects her vitaility? I would think that human-created borders meant very little in magical world. However...We saw in Byrne's run, once Shaman transported Alpha Flight (including Narya) to New York City, her health began to fade (again...It could be the distance from the true Arctic that weakened her.made her vulnerable?).

    Also...We don't know if she is still bound to Canada/the Arctic (after her resurrection by A.I.M.)...After all, She did go into space for a several months. I personally, like her old limitation to Canadian lands and the Arctic.

    Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

  14. #14

    Default

    I agree with you about Snowbird's being limited to Canada, Dana. It was unique, and should have stayed that way, IMO.

  15. #15
    Captain Wow Alpha Flight
    -K-M-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    It is in the North American Arctic, though...Perhaps Snowbird's range covers Alaska too? Even though Shaman originally bound her physical form to the Canadian North/Arctic...Perhaps it's in reality her actual physical distance from the true Arctic that affects her vitaility? I would think that human-created borders meant very little in magical world. However...We saw in Byrne's run, once Shaman transported Alpha Flight (including Narya) to New York City, her health began to fade (again...It could be the distance from the true Arctic that weakened her.made her vulnerable?).

    Also...We don't know if she is still bound to Canada/the Arctic (after her resurrection by A.I.M.)...After all, She did go into space for a several months. I personally, like her old limitation to Canadian lands and the Arctic.

    Dana
    I think Marvel is scraping the Canadian border thing and going with the Northern domain as her territory now.

    Shes still bound but as revealed in Incredible Hercules, the Gods of the Arctic can give her a temporary "leave"
    -----
    Anyways on topic: I got to read the whole issue and it was really good. The art was nice, the story was good....just short. I definetly suggest people to pick it up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •