Thread: Tom Brevoort-Alpha Flight news (or lack there of)

Hybrid View

Well, each to their own, Le Messor. They certainly weren't bad stories in and of themselves. But I would for one, have made the opening, ahem, "story" a story ARC, covering a number of issues, that built up Tundra, made sure that the threat of Tundra was felt, before finally have AF win. As it was we got, "Here's Tundra! Tremble at his awesome might as he walks around in the middle of nowhere! Oh, and now here come's is Alpha Flight ... behold the defeat of Tundra." End of story. End of story. lol

And then of course, I would have taken my time, spaced the spotlights on individual members, and actually given the fans what the book promised .... TEAM stories, not a string of individual spotlights. And of course I wouldn't have killed off Mac ... wouldn't have used Diablo .... or a fat lady in pink ... or ... lol

Anyway, it's just an opinion. And considering that the first volume ran some 100+ issues perhaps there's more to yours than there is to mine, but I tell ya, no other team comic has ever spent it's first year as a non-team. One would think there is a reason why.
    "You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge View Post
    Well, each to their own, Le Messor. They certainly weren't bad stories in and of themselves. But I would for one, have made the opening, ahem, "story" a story ARC, covering a number of issues, that built up Tundra, made sure that the threat of Tundra was felt, before finally have AF win. As it was we got, "Here's Tundra! Tremble at his awesome might as he walks around in the middle of nowhere! Oh, and now here come's is Alpha Flight ... behold the defeat of Tundra." End of story. End of story. lol
    Series that began with a several-issue story arc were a rarity back then (whoops! Ninja'ed by Mik), it was a double-sized issue and it was meant to catch one up on what state the team was in, give more background on the characters and to get them back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge View Post
    And then of course, I would have taken my time, spaced the spotlights on individual members, and actually given the fans what the book promised .... TEAM stories, not a string of individual spotlights. And of course I wouldn't have killed off Mac ... wouldn't have used Diablo .... or a fat lady in pink ... or ... lol

Anyway, it's just an opinion. And considering that the first volume ran some 100+ issues perhaps there's more to yours than there is to mine, but I tell ya, no other team comic has ever spent it's first year as a non-team. One would think there is a reason why.
    Powersurge, John Byrne did have a point to having the team scattered, you know?

I personally, feel the team being not always together gave the book a really unique feel, something we hardly ever see, even today. After Byrne left the book and the team became based in one spot (via Bill Mantlo and following writers)...To me, they became more like every other super group and a bit more uninteresting/predictable.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 05-02-2010 at 04:21 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!