Thread: Article: Alpha Flight: What needs to be done (opinion piece)

3 Ducks in a Man Costume! New Recruit

Default Article: Alpha Flight: What needs to be done (opinion piece)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I agree with a lot of what you said, but...

3) was a large part of why I hated all the post volume 1 line-ups; what we ended up with was Alpha Flight in name only; a series set in Canada, with a couple of original members, and otherwise nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

I don't know if 4) is the problem of establishing their role or if it's what makes them unique in the Marvel Universe. For me, part of that was the Solo-Avengers style stories and the combination of mystical with scientific; I'd vote for making that shine. The government-sponsored thing risks devolving into 'let's rebel against the department which funds us every single month', which is of no interest to me.
    Your mileage may vary.

- Le Messor
    "Good literature is about Love and War. Trash fiction is about Sex and Violence."
    ~ Author Unknown

I agree with most of the article.

Until Marvel decides to make AF shine, and shine big and hard and shiny, this is all a moot point. They stopped listening to the fans a long time ago. There has to be a complete shift in attitude towards AF in the Marvel head offices, or we will get what we have right now - nothing.

Not getting my hopes up. Give me ten years.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

3 Ducks in a Man Costume! New Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but...

3) was a large part of why I hated all the post volume 1 line-ups; what we ended up with was Alpha Flight in name only; a series set in Canada, with a couple of original members, and otherwise nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

I don't know if 4) is the problem of establishing their role or if it's what makes them unique in the Marvel Universe. For me, part of that was the Solo-Avengers style stories and the combination of mystical with scientific; I'd vote for making that shine. The government-sponsored thing risks devolving into 'let's rebel against the department which funds us every single month', which is of no interest to me.
    Your mileage may vary.

- Le Messor
    "Good literature is about Love and War. Trash fiction is about Sex and Violence."
    ~ Author Unknown
    First off, thank you for your input. Part of the reason I posted this article was so that I could get feedback on these ideas, and to find out what other Alpha Flight fans felt would work and what wouldn't.

Second, I would point out here that number seven would be the critical element. A skilled writer could figure out a way to get around the issues you point out in such a way that would still be entertaining. Also:

3) Almost every team, especially teams with long histories, go through several roster changes over the course of time. The X-men, the Avengers, even the Fantastic Four, which is more a family than a team, has occasionally had to welcome substitute members, even if only temporarily. Again, a good writer/artist team would be absolutely critical in making sure that, even with new members, the spirit of Alpha Flight remains intact.

4) The whole "evil government organization" thing has definitely been done before. Working alongside the government would only be one aspect of the teams identity. The combination of science and mysticism would be yet another. Once again, the important thing is to get a good writer on board who understands all this, and can pay homage to what's come before while at the same time moving the team forward and making them relevant to the here and now.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

You're welcome... but please take everything with I say with a grain of salt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salt..jpeg 
Views:	203 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	537

I'm not the forum, I'm just one skr-- guy. I can only speak for two people here.

I say two because me and Dana usually agree - but even then, I wouldn't presume to type for him.

For example, my number 4) was a dig at volume 2). I hated it, but there are people here who love it, and my hit squad hasn't found all of them yet. I would say volume three was closer to the spirit of volume 1 (though still nowhere near), but I'm probably the only one.

I agree about a great team making the book; a great team that's right for the job can make anything great that's why they're nice.

- Le Messor
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
    ~ Plato