Thread: A Reason For Alpha Flight

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I don't totally agree with you AK, but we do agree on some points (as your "amen" in reply to me attests to in another of your posts).

I'm not a fan of excessive resurrections (as in Mac's case), but I do believe resurrections can be necessary (depending on the character, how it's done, etc...) to a series' success, especially if the character is to play a big part in the series' relaunch, in bringing the team back together or a major storyline.

As far as the casual MU reader who doesn't know Alpha, believes them to be a joke, etc...There are some folks who will never give Alpha a chance, nor will they change their views....We can't help that, nor can any writer/artist. I think finding a way to bring back older fans who abandoned the title, during all of the relaunches/cancellations would also be another good start to any new series. Rebuilding as much of the original fanbase as possible may be as important as creating new fans.

Dana
    We agree on alot of things, and I didn't mean to come across as negative if I have.
    The market that's most likely to become devoted to AF is the X-Men wing... and that's a large market. It would be nice to see them appear in Uncanny, etc, like Le Messor said, in a guest appearance or two... or twelve, and generate some interest.

The reason I'm not for resurrecting the characters who died vs. the Collective is that tragedy gives the survivors motivation and drama. Elizabeth lost her dad (rocky relationship and all), Jeffries lost his best friends, and Walt was actually there when it happened. I think I'd like a story that shows the emotional journey people really experience... overcoming grief with the help of close friends/family, and finding happiness again.

One thing, though, I love the Guardian suit! It's just about the greatest superhero costume ever conceived. Michael Pointer wearing it works for me. That "Omega" style suit he's been wearing is a real buzz-kill, though. Bring back the Maple Leaf, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by AKexpress View Post
    We agree on alot of things, and I didn't mean to come across as negative if I have.
    The market that's most likely to become devoted to AF is the X-Men wing... and that's a large market. It would be nice to see them appear in Uncanny, etc, like Le Messor said, in a guest appearance or two... or twelve, and generate some interest.

The reason I'm not for resurrecting the characters who died vs. the Collective is that tragedy gives the survivors motivation and drama. Elizabeth lost her dad (rocky relationship and all), Jeffries lost his best friends, and Walt was actually there when it happened. I think I'd like a story that shows the emotional journey people really experience... overcoming grief with the help of close friends/family, and finding happiness again.
    Technically, Liz also lost a sister in Heather, since Heather and her parents raised Liz after her mother died and Michael left to grieve (and eventually became Shaman). John Byrne killed Mac because his death would have the most impact on the team (and Byrne found him the most boring to write)...Unfortunately, that didn't stop writers from bringing Mac back again and again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by AKexpress View Post
    One thing, though, I love the Guardian suit! It's just about the greatest superhero costume ever conceived. Michael Pointer wearing it works for me. That "Omega" style suit he's been wearing is a real buzz-kill, though. Bring back the Maple Leaf, eh.
    I despise Pointer, as some other Flight fans do...I do not want to see him return to Canada and/or don the maple leaf uniform ever again.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Technically, Liz also lost a sister in Heather, since Heather and her parents raised Liz after her mother died and Michael left to grieve (and eventually became Shaman). John Byrne killed Mac because his death would have the most impact on the team (and Byrne found him the most boring to write)...Unfortunately, that didn't stop writers from bringing Mac back again and again and again.
    Good point Re: Liz and Heather... I always liked that dynamic.
    As for resurrections, I'm almost always against them. The only situation in which I don't bristle is when the death is presumed. Like Marrina, for example. We're pretty sure she died but no confirmation was ever made. In fact, that used to be a comic book staple. The bad guy would go "Aaaarrrgh!", vanish under a pile of rumble, but alas, pop up 20 issues later having escaped death.

I just like the impact a beloved character's death has in the fictional universe. Once that gets watered down... cliche even, we fans ultimately get deprived of something.

Mac's death in issue 12 was BRILLIANT. WHAT THE HELL WAS JOHN BYRNE THINKING?!? It was so shocking, so genius that it lapped itself, landing on the "insane" peg on the board. To this day I love it and hate it equally.

I despise Pointer, as some other Flight fans do...I do not want to see him return to Canada and/or don the maple leaf uniform ever again.
    Fair enough