Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blast from the past Alpha Flight volume 1 review

After twenty-eight years I finally own an original copy of Alpha Flight #1.

I read it a few times well over the weekend gone and words cannot express how wonderful and exciting I felt as I was reading it. Like appraising an exquisitely cut, flawless emerald. Byrne's run is indeed an absolute classic in every sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post

I read it a few times well over the weekend gone and words cannot express how wonderful and exciting I felt as I was reading it. Like appraising an exquisitely cut, flawless emerald. Byrne's run is indeed an absolute classic in every sense of the word.
    Nice way to phrase it Imraith. Welcome to the boards!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Congrats! A great issue, indeed... Though, have you read it before? In the trade paperback?
    (You say this is your first copy of the *original*.)

Welcome to my dream.
    I think you're gonna like it.

- Le Messor
    "I’d love to, but I’m attending the opening of my garage door."

Yes, Le Messor...I got a chance to read it early 1984...a friend of mine at the time had allowed me to read it just that one time. And while I was able to collect all of Byrne's run from issue two onward,eventually, the double-sized number one issue always eluded me...until now.

Images

a friend of mine at the time had allowed me to read it
    Funny... that's kind of how I got started.

Again, I congratulate you.

- Le Messor
    "When you're on top of the world, you should remember it turns over every twenty-four hours."
    ~ Tamie Fraser

I bought these when they first came out, and am re-reading them for the first time in decades. Great stuff! I really enjoy Byrne's characterization, and his art (except for women's faces). Of course, #1 would be one of the few early issues where the whole team is actually together.

I didn't like what they wound up doing with Marrina. Puck is great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler69 View Post
    I didn't like what they wound up doing with Marrina. Puck is great, though.
    Which part with Marrina?

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Which part with Marrina?
    Her basically going psycho twice in the first 16 issues, which was virtually all we saw of her, except a few brief scenes in a couple of other issues. She was obviously a sweet girl, but I wish we'd gotten to know that sweet girl a bit more before they turned into, as Marrina called it, an inhuman monster. Worse yet was a bit later (in the Avengers, I think) where she became an actual monster, leviathan. I thought her origin very interesting, but I wish there'd been a better resolution, one where she could have overcome her "programming".

Her current incarnation seems to be in a state where she's overcome her programming. That's good! Too bad she had to die first, etc. Oh well. All's well that ends well.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler69 View Post
    Worse yet was a bit later (in the Avengers, I think) where she became an actual monster, leviathan.
    Correct! That was in The Avengers.

I think at least with Marrina she was always intended to be that monster rather than a sweet girl, from Byrne's first concept.

If she'd been retconned into a monster years later fair enough, but the fact that she was 'turned' the very next issue, playing on the classic beauty & the beast trope worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think at least with Marrina she was always intended to be that monster rather than a sweet girl, from Byrne's first concept.

If she'd been retconned into a monster years later fair enough, but the fact that she was 'turned' the very next issue, playing on the classic beauty & the beast trope worked.
    Agreed.

Actually, seems to be one of Byrne's favourite tropes when it comes to Alpha Flight: Marrina looks sweet but is a monster, Wild Child is cultured (under Byrne) but looks like a monster, Aurora hides a repressed and 'monstrous' duality within herself, Walter the scientist turns into a raging beast...we could go on and on.
    Last edited by Flightpath07; 08-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I agree, though I think her transformation would have had more impact if we hadn't only known her for one issue at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Her current incarnation seems to be in a state where she's overcome her programming. That's good! Too bad she had to die first, etc. Oh well. All's well that ends well.
    Yes, that's a good thing. Hey, death comes with the territory if you're a superhero.
    Nice avatar, by the way.