Thread: Article: Review : Uncanny X-Men #121

Default Article: Review : Uncanny X-Men #121

Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    Colossus believes that it may be a trap (man should have been a detective).
    Or an Admiral!

This of course beggars the question, why if, as stated by Vindicator a couple of times Alpha were only after Wolverine, did they lay a trap?
    I've always wondered about that...

This story just heaves with testosterone. Even the dialogue carries menace.
    I'm... not a fan of associating 'male' with 'violent'...

Aurora comes across as michevious and fun loving. Nightcrawler and her seem to enjoy toying with each other with no real animosity.
    That's so true!

- Le Messor
    "I will not be punched, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!"
    ~ The Prisoner

I love that many of the elements of who Alpha Flight was to be came out in this issue...Northstar's bad attitude, Aurora's playfulness, Sasquatch was shown to enjoy fighting (as you said, Del) and seemed to be having as much fun as Aurora, Snowbird seeming to be somewhat naive and yet mysterious. I loved this issue.

Another fun review, Del.

Dana

Thanks once again Dana. Maybe you can help here, I can't pinpoint another story where this aspect of Aurora is seen again. I know in 'Dark X-Men - The Beginning #3' we see something similar, but the characterisation in that is flawed imho.

Are you suggesting that Byrne himself changed Aurora's personality when he started AF Vol 1 ?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't say changed it as such, more fleshed it out. We only see her in fun loving mode in this, her repressed teacher personna may have been there, just not to the fore.

With Northstar always being portrayed as the moody one of the siblings, I much more enjoyed Aurora when she was fun-loving and carefree. It created balance.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Thanks once again Dana. Maybe you can help here, I can't pinpoint another story where this aspect of Aurora is seen again. I know in 'Dark X-Men - The Beginning #3' we see something similar, but the characterisation in that is flawed imho.
    I think we see Aurora's carefree, joie de vivre nature in early Alpha Flight -- a scene that leaps to mind is when she is needling Northstar for not responding to the summons faster -- but things get pretty rough for her in short order.

Is that when she and Jean Paul are flying and she's smiling and flying circles around him or something?

Dana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Is that when she and Jean Paul are flying and she's smiling and flying circles around him or something?
    Perhaps you refer to issue seven?

EDIT:
    ... Nope, just looked it up. The scene I'm thinking of is in #1, after he's snapped Aurora out of Jeanne-Marie.

- Le Messor
    "I wish you the courage to be warm when the world would prefer you to be cool."
    ~ Robert A. Ward
    Last edited by Le Messor; 04-29-2011 at 07:56 AM.

I have no idea what issue it is, and I really don't want to go on an expedition to find the comic, right now (I have a lot of school work to contend with). Perhaps, in a few days.

Dana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I have no idea what issue it is, and I really don't want to go on an expedition to find the comic, right now (I have a lot of school work to contend with). Perhaps, in a few days.
    There is a scene just like the one you describe in #1. I'm not sure I remember that exact one again.

- Le Messor
    "I wouldn’t shoot him if I were you. It will just make him mad."