Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Review - Alpha Flight #1 (vol.4) Advanced Review (No Spoilers)

Default Article: Review - Alpha Flight #1 (vol.4) Advanced Review (No Spoilers)

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Me too! Caaaaan't wait.

Thanks for the review, Ben!

You've been all over the promotion of this series since it was first announced, between the articles and interviews, and I'm happy you were able to objectively review this book and come away feeling satisfied.

I'm eagerly looking forward to Wednesday!

-Michael

Wow.

Seriously wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Weirdly, it's the remarks about the art with regards to the coloring that annoy me; the reviewer seems to think Eaglesham did the coloring as well as the art, and comes across as dinging the artist for something that wasn't even his job. Additionally, I just find the phrasing of some of the criticism odd -- he seems to be implying that the fact that the coloring was done on computer is a negative in and of itself, but coloring by computer is pretty standard these days. Maybe he was just coming up short of vocabulary, but it felt like he was reaching for something to be negative about.

Guess I'll have a better view of things in about 33 hours when I hit the comic shop.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Weirdly, it's the remarks about the art with regards to the coloring that annoy me; the reviewer seems to think Eaglesham did the coloring as well as the art, and comes across as dinging the artist for something that wasn't even his job. Additionally, I just find the phrasing of some of the criticism odd -- he seems to be implying that the fact that the coloring was done on computer is a negative in and of itself, but coloring by computer is pretty standard these days. Maybe he was just coming up short of vocabulary, but it felt like he was reaching for something to be negative about.

Guess I'll have a better view of things in about 33 hours when I hit the comic shop.
    I agree, Suzene -- it's a very odd review! He obviously doesn't understand who-does-what in a comic, for starters. But what strikes me is just the entire tone of the review... Did a member of AF just pee in his cornflakes or something? Was his dog just run over by a Canadian? Why the rabid hate? I think you can all guess that I've read the finished issue, and I can't for the life of me figure out what in this book could possibly have gotten his venom flowing so virulently!

Don't shoot me if I tell you all that I'm not particularly a comic book fan (I mostly care because Dale draws them!) or even an Alpha Flight fan (I hadn't heard much about this book before Dale got the job, but now I love this team!!). But this little preface serves to support my objectivity when I say that I read this book, and it's GOOD!!!

So, yeah, bizarro review, I'd say!

On the other hand, I generally find CBR to be a very negative place, so I try to stay away from there as a rule!
    I never said I was objective.

thanks for the review ben, wish i had the issue in my hand like you!!!

i'm still scratching my head on that cbr review. he says he doesn't like it because its not canadian enough and that the colors are to computerized, which he's basing a poor review on a assumption, not a fact, which is odd. then he goes on to rave about fvl/paks story and dales art. then gives it 2 stars out of 5. i am really confused.

oh well, not gonna stop me from picking up my issue, juts hope it doesn't deter the fence sitter out there.

Heh, Ben doesn't have it in his hands either!

Would this be one of your shop issues Phil? I remember you use to get Omega before release date. Or not??
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

No, I don't think they do Retailer Advances these days.

I *think* (& feel free to correct/edit me Ben) Marvel kindly sent Ben an advance copy for review off the back of the success of his interviews.

cool. what are the chances we get a spoiler space for the reveal of the trader?

You can wait one more day, surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yet here, different story (nicked link after Dale Eaglesham posted it at Facebook ) .
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!