L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

The reveal of Aurora's sexual abuse pretty much soured the whole issue for me. Even aside from the fact that last thing the industry needs is more female characters with rape/sexual abuse as the go-to for past angst and trauma, there are two modes most writers default to with Aurora: she's either one of two flavors of crazy (boy or bat****) or she's a victim. I am very disappointed to see Van Lente and Pak going for the latter -- and no, it doesn't matter if this is all about her overcoming her past. With everything that Jeanne-Marie suffered at the hands the Sisters, various AF villains over the years, the Director, and The Children of the Hand, retconning in more victimhood and making it the sexual abuse of a child came off as gratuitous and sleezy.

I've got to hand it to the writers -- after how well the team in general and Northstar in particular have been handled, I didn't think there was anything they could do to make me consider dropping this book full stop, but they've managed to pull it off.
    Last edited by suzene; 07-14-2011 at 04:16 AM.