Thread: Alpha Flight (Vol.4) #2 Review Compilation Thread *Spoilers*

Pretty much the same feelings I had.
    I'm feeling good things.

Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=3709

cbr's reviews confuse me. they praise the book, then give it 2 stars.
    I'm confused that anyone could look at the pages with Northstar smacking the guard, Puck taking out Heather, and Mac's splash page and say this:

Dale Eaglesham's art is solid and serviceable, but it simply isn't dynamic nor stunning.
    ...the interiors just seem to be present and accounted for.
    Eaglesham tells the story, gives the characters a range of emotions, but doesn't have the finishing touch that would really make this a "wow" book. I'm hoping that assessment is simply because this issue is largely low-key, but the action sequences that are present in this book seem rigid.
    I'm guessing that's where the low rating came from (plus the reviewer thinking it was a lull issue), but I just do not get it. I thought the art won out over the writing this time around.

Weird since most of us feel that this is the best drawn Alpha Flight team since at least Byrne!

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    I'm confused that anyone could look at the pages with Northstar smacking the guard, Puck taking out Heather, and Mac's splash page and say this:

"Dale Eaglesham's art is solid and serviceable, but it simply isn't dynamic nor stunning. "
    Thanks for pointing this out, Suzene - I'm glad someone agrees with me!

I LOATHE when they use the word serviceable. Dale shrugs it off and says "Yep, I SERVE the story before all else" (i.e. he places the story ahead of his own interests, which would be to draw flashy art and ignore the importance of storytelling, leaving the readers confused) but the word drives me nuts because it's obviously intended as totally dismissive and passive aggressive. GRRR!
    I never said I was objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, Suzene - I'm glad someone agrees with me!

I LOATHE when they use the word serviceable. Dale shrugs it off and says "Yep, I SERVE the story before all else" (i.e. he places the story ahead of his own interests, which would be to draw flashy art and ignore the importance of storytelling, leaving the readers confused) but the word drives me nuts because it's obviously intended as totally dismissive and passive aggressive. GRRR!
    Classic weasel-wording, yeah. It lets a critic put down the work without actually running the risk of saying anything negative or specific, thereby reducing the likelihood of someone with more knowledge coming along and saying that said critic is talking out of his nether-regions.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Classic weasel-wording, yeah. It lets a critic put down the work without actually running the risk of saying anything negative or specific, thereby reducing the likelihood of someone with more knowledge coming along and saying that said critic is talking out of his nether-regions.
    RIGHT ON! Brilliantly put, Suzene. You rock!
    I never said I was objective.

That ad for the SyFy TV show "Alphas" jumped out at me as well. Now I'm curious to see what its about. Brilliant ad placement.
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I LOATHE when they use the word serviceable.
    I use it (well, a similar-meaning word which actually eludes me at the moment; 'functional', I think) when I want to say 'this does its job, but is not special. Doesn't sing, doesn't dance, doesn't even fall right.' It's meant as, at most, a 'damned with faint praise' thing; not to hide, be passive-aggressive or weasel, but to say 'yeah, whatever'. It's an open criticism when I do that.

Um, this isn't me agreeing with their assessment of Dale's work, just saying it's a perfectly cromulent word to use in this way.

- Le Messor
    "There's nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know."
    ~ Ambrose Bierce

Delusional Honesty
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!