Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witchfire in Fear Itself: The Fearless

Post Witchfire in Fear Itself: The Fearless

I was picking up Fear Itself: The Fearless because I am a huge Rom fan. Rom is not in it due to copyright issues, but a Dire Wraith is in the story, and I ran across Witchfire. She appears in a panel in issue 8 and also in a panel in issue 10 (which are now on Phil's Updates List). Glad she survived the events of Project Purgatory.

It was Rom #56 - 57 that sparked my interest in Alpha Flight. After reading those issues, I picked up AF #14 and Alpha Flight has been my favorite super team since.

rplass twisted my arm and so I joined the board today
    Last edited by Chris; 03-15-2012 at 10:54 PM.

I twist thee! Thanks for the tip on the Witchfire appearance.

For the record, they are on Phil's list because I tweeted it after Chris emailed me and Phil (who has been the twitter feed for alphaflight.net) follows me on twitter. Follow that? No? Eh, well whatever, welcome to alphaflight.net!

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Yeah, it's what I love, and missed, about this community.
    I don't have the money or the time to get every Marvel comic and while I try to at least flick through as many as I can I didn't bother with The Fearless, and definitely wouldn't have picked up the #8 appearance.

Thanks! And welcome!

Welcome, Chris, thou of the masterfully twisted arm! Nice job, rplass!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Ah, Chris, that explains Turbo being your avatar!
    Welcome aboard.

And thanks for the heads-up.

- Le Messor
    GI: "I can take torture."
    Klan: "Take him... to Detroit!"
    GI: "No! Not that! I'll talk!"
    ~ Kentucky Fried Movie

[Pedantic]Human Torpedo[/pedantic]
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    [Pedantic]Human Torpedo[/pedantic]
    Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    You can't fool me! There is no sanity clause!

Also, you're right, of course. I'm used to Turbo from her (& his) appearances in New Warriors and forgot that the original had a different name.
    Last edited by Le Messor; 04-19-2012 at 07:01 AM.

According to other sources it was just Torpedo II with 'Human' not part of the name, so smugness mode off. I only remember him because of his appearance in Daredevil and then appearances in ROM. There was also a Marvel Series which highlighted second stringers such as 'White Tiger', 'Thunderbolt', '3-D Man', Torpedo etc. Really enjoyed reading the stories, but cannot remember the title?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

Marvel Comics Presents had stories for each of those characters, didn't it?
    Or was it the Marvel Super-Heroes specials? (a quarterly series iirc, pretty thick.)
    Last edited by Le Messor; 03-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

It might have been an early version of MCP, but IIRC each issue was dedicated to just one character. I know the stories that caught my eye were a couple of years before Alpha first came out or around that era.
    Del

Images

There was a Marvel Presents series in, what, the 70's? One of the Guardians of the Galaxy's first appearances (if not the first) was in it.

- Le Messor
    "If it were done, when it is done, then it were well it were done quickly."
    ~ Macbeth

The comic featuring second stringers such as Torpedo would be the bimonthly Marvel Premiere which ran from 1972 to 1981.

Michael Stivak originally created the Torpedo Suit because the Dire Wraiths wanted a suit of armor to defeat Rom. Stivak got killed in a mighty Marvel misunderstanding with Daredevil. Brock Jones was then the second person to wear the Torpedo suit. He later appeared in Marvel Premiere 39 and 40.

I picked the late Torpedo as my avatar because:
    1) Torpedo was my second favorite super hero until his death in Rom 50.
    2) Bill Mantlo wrote Rom and then 3 years of Alpha Flight.
    3) I didn't want use yet another avatar of Guardian, Sasquatch, Puck, Northstar, Jeffries, etc on the forum.

I am also a fan of Turbo (Mickey Musashi) and the New Warriors. In the first New Warriors series, Mickey Musashi and Michael Jeffries (no relation to Madison Jeffries) had acquired and shared the Torpedo suit until Michael got killed by Volx the Dire Wraith queen. You old school New Warriors fans should already know this

So is anyone else glad that Cullen Bunn, Matt Fraction, and Chris Yost remembered Witchfire and decided to include her in Sin's group of magically powered baddies?

Images

Thanks Chris.
    I knew the New Warriors stuff, but not the rest.
    Indeed, that's how I recognised your avatar.

- Mik
    "I'm not frightened of the darkness outside. It's the darkness inside houses I don't like."
    ~ Shelagh Delaney

The first volume of the New Warriors still gets a regular read, so know the Warriors stuff. As to Witchfire, while it's good to see her appearing, kinda sad that she's gone from what could have been a really good character into a generic demonic type.
    Del

Yeah, I prefer characters like Purple Woman and Witchfire to have remained heroes. I'm assuming Purple Woman was debrainwashed off panel in AF 8 and is good again. I know some people prefer Witchfire as a villain though.

What's even sadder is the lack of use of characters that were created after Byrne left Alpha Flight. If you don't count non continuity books like What If or Exiles, characters from the first series like Manikin, Goblyn, Pathway, and Feedback have not been used in other books since 1994. And Windshear, Murmur, Flex, and Radius are still depowered.

Maybe after this Avengers vs X-Men story is over, all the depowered mutants will get their powers back and will be used again.