Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so.......issue #8?

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Is that the new Alphanex wiki I see poking out there? Looks like it's germinating...
    Yes, I'm working on it...it's also going to be (as you see) automatically cross linking any refrences in the wiki throughout the site. Still have some tweaking ahead of me though

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    it's also going to be (as you see) automatically cross linking any refrences in the wiki throughout the site.
    Automatic? Cool.
    How does that work?

- Le Messor
    "Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions."
    ~ Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Automatic? Cool.
    How does that work?
    Automatically

Images

Of course!

[OPINION]Can that feature be disabled or made into an opt-out user setting? I find it extremely irritating on any site. It picks up "The four toed thing was explained..." from my post above and generates a link to.. The Thing from Fantastic Four? Come on.

This is how I've always seen this feature - just random links peppered all over the place that I didn't want in my post to bring people's attention away from my post. And when I'm reading someone else's post I have no idea if they are auto-generated or the person has a real hyperlink they intend for me to click on... It's so distracting with the hover-blurbs too, just ugh.[/OPINION]
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

yes, it certainly can be dissabled if desired, and I can even ennable it in one part of the site, like in the articles, and dissable it in an other, like the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The site was hacked two months before #8 even came out.
    I suspect Marvel had a hand in this. Knowing how we'd react to the news of the ongoing returning to a mini, they hacked AF.net and silenced us before we could say anything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dramatic-prairie.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	1676
    Oh the shenanigans!

I think the only place it would make sense to have it active would be in the Alphanex itself. Look above how it linked the word link to the link page. Silly, no?
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Yah, with how comprehensive Alphanex could some day be, it would be more of an annoyance than a boon. I'm not mucking with any of the default values though until I am comofortable with the set up. I have the new software installed and very stable, but as of yet I'm not that comfortable with the importing of the data from the old software. Once I get all that worked out, I'll iron out the rest

Hm. I was fairly disappointed that in Ben's post above, the word "iron" did not link to a site about laundry and how to properly do it, as that would have been useful.

I tend to agree with rplass (yeah, i know; weird, right?) about the annoyances of the automatic linkage. Also, although I believe Legerd was being facetious, I more than a little believe that to be true about Marvel; so far, nobody has proved to me that it ISN'T true. Ah well, life goes on, eh?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    although I believe Legerd was being facetious... so far, nobody has proved to me that it ISN'T true.
    This?
    Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    I suspect Marvel had a hand in this. Knowing how we'd react to the news of the ongoing returning to a mini, they hacked AF.net and silenced us before we could say anything.
    No, that's not true at all.

We said stuff BEFORE we got hacked!
    Actually, we were already pretty hacked when we got hacked...
    Anyone for a game of hackey?

Rob: on the 'it could be worse' side, I know somebody who paid for a professional site, and when it went up the company she bought the site from added advertising links throughout, on any remotely applicable word. 8-S

- Le Messor
    "If life had a vomit meter, we'd be off the scale."
    ~ Joe Bob Briggs

Marvel put a lot into their Marketing for Volume 4 and put a decent creative team onto it.
    They gave it a go, and put their weight behind it.
    You can't say they didn't try.

"We said stuff BEFORE we got hacked!"

True. But the hacking certainly purloined our ability to KEEP saying it. And, since we got issue 8 telling folks who didn;t know about us all about us...and then the site gets hacked and crashes...I'm not into conspiracies for conspiracies sake, but it seems a little 'convenient', ne pensez-vous pas que?

"You can't say they didn't try."

No, i can't. But I can say they did not like the negative reaction to their making the mini an ongoing and then immediately cancelling it. Especially when the negativity is coming from a place that one of their comics just called people's attention to.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    and then the site gets hacked and crashes...
    The site was hacked two months before #8 was released, which is where the comic mentioned us.
    Dale hadn't even written his editorial when the site went down.

But I can say they did not like the negative reaction to their making the mini an ongoing and then immediately cancelling it.
    I can't say that any company would like negativity.
    If AF were the only title to be cancelled I'd be in agreement with you, but we were one of at least a dozen comics that got canned, amidst at least a dozen members of staff that got laid off. At least we got a resolution (of sorts) unlike All Winners Squad which got finished half way through without a finishing issue.

Especially when the negativity is coming from a place that one of their comics just called people's attention to.
    Again, we were hacked before Dale personally brought attention to us.

I honestly don't think Marvel had anything to do with us being hacked; to me that's just ridiculous. Even with the negativity this site created sales and they know that hence giving us interviews and exclusives and artwork. Hell, they ALLOW us to have the alphaflight domain name.

If they were going to hack us, surely they'd have done it before the de-ongoing announcement and we wouldn't be back now or ever again?

But again, all my opinion and just posted for the sake of devil's advocate friendly banter.

Okay everyone, I was joking about Marvel hacking AF.net. The site had a big enough presence to have drawn attention from any hacker who might also frequent comic book forums... or read newspapers. Remember, we got a mention in a few articles both online and off, not to mention any links we may have posted on other forums ourselves.
    Besides, it was probably China. They were hacking everyone and their grandmother last year.