|debut=Alpha Flight vol.1 #1, 1983
|affiliations=[[Omega Flight]]
|past_affiliations=[[Gamma Flight]], [[The Flight]]
|aliases=none
|relatives=none
|status=Deceased
|}}

==History==
[[Image:Smart_alec_2.jpg|right]]Not much is known about Thorne's life before he was contacted by [[Guardian I|James Hudson]] to join the then-fledgling [[Department H]]. Alec Thorne was one of [[Guardian I|James MacDonald Hudson's]] first recruits to join the fledgling [[Alpha Flight]], where, in their first mission, he and his team-mates stopped the terrorist known as Egghead and his cadre of American super-human terrorists from launching a thermo-nuclear missile at the United States[footnote=1]%2$s[/footnote]. Later, after [[Guardian I|Hudson]] divided the team into three tiers, Thorne (under the mantle of Smart Alec) began training in [[Gamma Flight]], and continued to train with them before [[Department H]] was shut down[footnote=2]%2$s[/footnote]. Later, he was contacted by [[Jaxon_Jerome|Jerry Jaxon]] to join [[Omega Flight]] in a bid to extract vengeance against Hudson, but was defeated when he tried to look in [[Shaman|Shaman's]] magic medicine bag. This mental shock caused him to become a mindless husk, so the [[Shaman]] shrunk him and stuck him in his bag[footnote=3]%2$s[/footnote].

The next appearance of Smart Alec's body was shortly after the death of [[Snowbird]], when [[Sasquatch I|Walter Langkowski's]] mind - having been freed from his body after [[Snowbird]] was forced to kill him to vanquish the Great Beast, [[Tanaraq]], who co-inhabited his body[footnote=4]%2$s[/footnote] - entered Thorne's miniaturised body in an attempt to regain the human world. Thorne's body was killed when [[Sasquatch I|Langkowski]] merged his mind into the [[Box I|Box]] robot to defeat [[Pestilence]], whose freed mind had inhabited the body of [[Snowbird]] - who was in the form of [[Sasquatch I|Sasquatch]] at the time - before [[Sasquatch I|Langkowski]] took over the Sasquatch body.[footnote=5]%2$s[/footnote]

==Footnotes==
1. Alpha Flight Special, 1992
2. Alpha Flight vol.1 #1, 1983
3. Alpha Flight vol.1 #12, 1984
4. Alpha Flight vol.1 #24, 1985
5. Alpha Flight vol.1 #46, 1987

==Powers/Abilities==
'''Ecephalo-Helmet:'''Smart Alec created the helmet that he wore to augement his already high IQ to an unknown level. The helmet has audio-visual scanners that let him hear on every frequency and see on every wavelength. From light, radiation, ultra-violet, infra-red, etc.

'''Intelligence:''' He was the man with a computer brain, an intellect unsurpassed, a genius, who was said to be not only the smartest man in Canada, but as he said, "''in truth, I am the smartest man in the world! It's just that Reed Richards gets all the press while I'm stuck here.''" While he wears his helmet his intelligence is increased to an even higher degree.