Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
That is quite different than how I remember Rahne back in the New Mutants days. While perhaps not intolerant, she was definitely judgemental. Plus, while she have met many gods, but I don't believe she ever believed them to be any relation to (her) God. I also remember her saying/thinking that the beast within her and the urges she felt condemned her, and that she was cursed. Of course, this wasn't helped by what's-his-name...Reverent Craemer? The fire and brimstone priest that raised her.

Of course, I haven't read any of the old New Mutants in about 20 years, so I may be misremembering.

But I do agree that her getting pregnant? Way out of character. Of course, I knew several religious girls (one of them a pastor's daughter) in high school who became "out of character" themselves.
She dealt with those feelings early on, yes, due to Reverand Craig. I remember her bringing up that things are 'sinful', but she never condemned her friends... she was a socially awkward religious girl expressing her fear of sin. She did strugle with her feelings about her powers again in X-Factor a couple of times... one being when she was turned into a sort of mutate trapped part way in wolf form in Genoshia, the other when she got carried away in a battle and accidentaly killed her target. But she had the moral support of her friends and Moira, and recovered from those situations. In Excalibre she confronted Reverend Craig about what he did to her, how she strugled with her self esteme and fear of damnation because of him, and what an evil hypocrit he is for using her love of God to hurt her. She made him cry. It was a really great issue, without resorting to violence and shock factor.

So what does Marvel do? They take away her support structure and cook up fresh new horrors to subject her to, including mind control and canibalism (it is implied she ate Reverand Craig), so that they can make her an edgy character who doesn't hesitate to kill and so that they can re-hash her fear for her soul and spiritual insicurity all over again, even though that was dealt with and resolved a long time ago.

I know religious people can change, but Rahne was a unique and possitive character who was taken away from us to be turned into a typical bitter feral mutant with violent urges, beast within, already damned, yadda yadda yadda. If they wanted a guy struggling with canibalism and violent urges, etc, the writers had guys like Wildchild who has been needing to deal with what he is. Why do that to Rahne?