Thread: Hulk - Mayan Rule

Hybrid View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    When they speak both the people in the MU and the readers accept what they say as being the final word. Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are all like this as well as Reed Richards and Nick Fury. To a lesser extent Spider-man, Wolverine and even Deadpool...
    I didn't mean the best characters were the mouthiest and most arrogant,
    No, I'm sure you didn't, but they often seem to end up that way, don't they? I mean, I wouldn't go as far as 'arrogant' - especially since, as you point out, they can back up their boasts... but I don't always feel like 'my' characters have to be the centre of the universe. I don't always feel like they have to be the best there is at what they do.
    As long as they get the job done.
    Frankly, I relate better to clumsy people who are up the back and don't feel like the world revolves around them.

I noticed particularly in the Infinity story where they fought Her; at least two of the crossover books I read had one character who was 'the only one who really knew what was going on' (which wasn't particularly obscure in the first place). Ours was one of the villains... Karcass?
    I soon realised it was an attempt to manipulate us - readers of this small book could feel proud of their characters, making us want to buy more comics.

It was one thing I could never quite stand about Claremont's writing; all his characters were 'the best' (again, a vague, undefined term in the context).

Mannnn, this post is so long it's getting answered while I type it.
    I started the next part before Legerd posted this:
    All I mean is a competent hero who can handle whatever situation he finds himself in, is confident of his abilities and who other heroes will listen to.
    On the other hand...
    You are right in that it'd help Alpha a lot if they could sometimes be seen as 'doing something' (another ill-defined term that gets thrown around a lot). If they contributed in a meaningful way to all the crossovers they get thrown into. If they solved a crisis or two. It'd help them, it might even help the MU as a whole - so it wouldn't always be 'Crisis? Call Richards. Crisis over.' 'We're stranded in a pocket universe with Stark and Potts, Captain America, Mary-Jane, Gwen Stacey, and Gilligan. Well, the Professor will solve it, snap of fingers.'

It'd diversify the characters and the crossovers. I agree with you there.

Also, Legerd, just the other day I was wondering if 'being cool' was still a thing people cared about / strived for. The definition you linked to changed the word, but the meaning remains the same, I think.
    Or the song remains the same.
    (The other day I also bought a bunch of Led Zeppelin at a charity sale.)

~ Le Messor
    "Institute: An archaic school where football is not taught."
    Last edited by Le Messor; 09-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.