Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow... I didn't see that one coming... (Big Hero 6 Film)

Maybe if it goes they'll have Alpha as guest characters (or do you call them guest stars in a cartoon?).

DIGGER

wow $10 for Alpha Flight #17? Who'd a thunk it!
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Sounds like a bad American Anime attempt, though. Just a jaded marketing panel's attempt to cash in on the Manga/Anime/J-rock trend.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

Seriously?!? Ugh.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Could be interesting... but whatever.

- Le Messor
    "Ignore apathy"

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    Sounds like a bad American Anime attempt, though. Just a jaded marketing panel's attempt to cash in on the Manga/Anime/J-rock trend.
    If it was any other company I'd agree, but in Pixar I trust.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    If it was any other company I'd agree, but in Pixar I trust.
    Have they done any serious cartoons before? I can't think of any off the top of my head, and I think a superhero thing would need it.
    Then again, a serious CG superhero cartoon... maybe not. Maybe if they play it for laughs it'll be a lot of fun!

- Le Messor
    Joel: I'll never forget you.
    Wednesday: You won't?
    Joel: No, you're too weird.

Wasn't it Pixar that did The Incredibles? (which I think is probably one of if not the best superhero movie ever)

DIGGER

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    Wasn't it Pixar that did The Incredibles? (which I think is probably one of if not the best superhero movie ever)
    I was thinking about that in writing to this thread - and I thin it was Pixar, yes.

- LM
    "A wishbone has never taken the place of a backbone."
    ~ W.G.P.

Megamind from Dreamworks was the best, IMO. That had great comedy but there was also a serious side to it and some dark humor. It's been a long time since I saw Incredibles but I wasn't that impressed. Pixar isn't infallible, they have Cars which is stupid, for example.

It's just the lol look they're Japanese part that has me rolling my eyes. This will be a hard one to pull off.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."

It's not fully green-lit at this point. And, if Disney is silly enough to think this is a good idea, they lose respect points right off the top (of Walt's cryogenically frozen head).

This article in the link does not ever mention Pixar; is Pixar Disney's one and only animation movie company?

Question: if this gets made, will the Japanese be as offended by the animated-depiction of Japanese people, as I am of Caucasian people in all current Japanese anime?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    It's not fully green-lit at this point. And, if Disney is silly enough to think this is a good idea, they lose respect points right off the top (of Walt's cryogenically frozen head).
    So creating a fun, family + children friendly film based on an original property rather than re-hashing/remaking an old film, that might get kids into comics is wrong?

This article in the link does not ever mention Pixar; is Pixar Disney's one and only animation movie company?
    Nope, but it states John Lasseter, creator and head of Pixar and Principal Creative Advisor for Disney.
    His filmography speaks volumes.

Question: if this gets made, will the Japanese be as offended by the animated-depiction of Japanese people, as I am of Caucasian people in all current Japanese anime?
    That's kinda a catch 22 loss for them; they make a family full of white people and get accused of racism, they focus on a team of Japanese characters and get accused of racism. They can't really win either way. (And not accusing you of racism, just going by comments on other boards.)
    Also, there's nothing to say it's going to be in an anime style at all.

It's all far too soon to be speculating, either way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That's kinda a catch 22 loss for them; they make a family full of white people and get accused of racism, they focus on a team of Japanese characters and get accused of racism.
    They can have Japanese characters, and be accused of using racist stereotypes; or make them ordinary people and be accused of just writing white people and being racistly insensetive; or have no Japanese, and be accused of not including them because they're racist.

Yeah.

The word 'racist' lost all meaning for me the day I was accused of racism for daring to say North and South America are two different continents. People just throw it around for anything they happen to feel like on the day.

- Le Messor
    "I always say beauty is only skin deep."
    ~ Saki

I was looking at it more from the 'marketing to weaboos' issue than any issue of racism. If they can manage to write a Japanese team that aren't based on what Anime fans like or common misconceptions, then ok. They'd have a lot of research to do on actual culture, though, and should probably collaborate with some writers and directors from Japan for perspective on that.

I love anime, actually. I just get tired of the creepy obsession some people in the West have with Japan just because of anime and fashion, and all the delusional bs they talk about 'what Japan is like' 'why Japan is better'.

FP, what anime offended you, btw? Most of the ones I watch are set in different worlds/future worlds so I lack experience with that.

I think you'd enjoy this one.
    Attachment 2568

He kind of reminds me of someone...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tengen_toppa_gurren_lagann_chapter_10_page_003.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	2569
    Hmmmm....