Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wolverine - Spoilers

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default The Wolverine - Spoilers

I saw The Wolverine. Twice.

I'm gonna start by spoiling the major, major twist:
    This was a good movie.
    I don't think any of us could have seen that coming.

That said, if you're really attached to the characters, I don't think you're gonna like it. They've really rolled the dice on how to put the characters together; Silver Samurai was the worst hit (more later).

The movie wants to be the Claremont / Miller miniseries; but it isn't. The changes don't suck, though (although it's been a while since I read it).
    They do the thing from Spider-Man 2 and Superman 2 of taking away the hero's powers. You got that from the ads, right? Unlike those two movies - and the ads imply - it isn't voluntary. They're trying to do this thing throughout where they want Wolverine to give up his powers for the sake of mortality, but they do nothing to sell it.

They do a good job of an action movie, with an emotional connection to its characters. It's just enjoyable.

There is absolutely no reference to Alpha Flight; but we weren't expecting that, were we? (It's sad that the closest thing we've had to a live-action Alpha Flight is that horrible reference in the sub-par Wolverine: Origins.)

The characters.

Wolverine is Wolverine.
    Machiko doesn't really have the presence to convince me of their great love, but she's okay. She fights for herself from time to time, which I like to see.
    Her father and fiancé are hardly in there, but they have their parts to play.

It took me a while to figure it out, but Yukio is basically Psylocke; she's tougher, lacks the joie-de-vivre, has the purple (pink) hair, and psychic powers. She doesn't look all that much like her comic-book version; the actress looks a little strange. But I love it! I could look at her all movie.

With Viper they did that horrible thing of taking her name literally; they made her into a half-snake mutant. And blonde, instead of a greenhead.
    Still, I thought the actress made an excellent Viper.

Silver Samurai.
    Silver Samurai was put in a blender of at least three characters and hit frappé; then put together what was left.
    Kenuichio Harada had the 'outsider on the rooftops watching' of Yukio. But he still works with (not for) Viper; though in this version, they don't get along. He was human, too, no powers.
    The Silver Samurai armour went to Machiko's father.

Her grandfather became the actual Silver Samurai, which was a Tony Stark-style suit here. The armour had the original's 'make his sword glow' power.

Little thing: twice, they pull out the Yashida ancestral sword and re-sheathe it, without drawing blood.

The movie is not without its flaws, but it's good. Infinitely better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but not for those who are really attached to their characters.

Don't
    Read
    If
    You
    Don't
    Want
    It
    Spoiled
    !!!

This was a good movie.
    I agree. I actually liked it better than Origins. It had a more plodding pace, allowing for more characterization.

Silver Samurai was the worst hit
    Agreed again. At least they got his arrogance/madness right, though.

Yukio is basically Psylocke
    SO glad i wasn't the only one who noticed this as well!

Little thing: twice, they pull out the Yashida ancestral sword and re-sheathe it, without drawing blood.
    This goes right along with the scene where the chopsticks are pulled out of the rice bowl twice, when they were only put in the bowl ONCE. There definitely ARE errors in this script!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Yeah, I noticed those chopsticks... though I wouldn't blame that on the script so much as the editing.

Went to see it last week with my two sons, the 10pm Premiere in Dieppe, NB. The theatre put on quite an opening night experience. Nick Bradshaw was there signing autographs... nice to see a hometown boy making a living in the comic industry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bradshaw.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	550.0 KB 
ID:	3167

<<<<<<< SPOILERS INCLUDED BELOW >>>>>>>

Since I always like to start off with the positives, there were actually quite a few in this movie:

1) The opening scenes with the bear in the Canadian Rockies were pretty much pulled directly from the Claremont / Miller story. Very happy to see this included as it was one of my favourite parts of the original arc.
    2) The action sequences, included the bullet train scenes, were very well done. I actually saw people inching forward in their seats during this particular sequence as it really drew the audience into it.
    3) The actresses playing both Mariko and Yukio did a great job. I have always loved the Mariko character from the books... and I was not disappointed at all as to how she was portrayed here.
    4) The Silver Samurai armour was very imposing and intimidating. The battle between Logan and the Samurai was visually spectacular.
    4) The range of character development that we see from Logan in this movie is quite amazing... and surprising for a superhero movie. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing this to The Dark Knight or anything... but I was very entertained by how this done.
    5) Hugh Jackman. There is simply no other actor who I could see as Wolverine now. Jackman really seems to have a sense of this character... especially in this movie which includes so many sides of his character. So glad he's been included (and from what I've heard so far will be a huge part) in the upcoming Days of Future Past movie.

Now, even though these positives allowed me to really enjoy this movie, there were a few negatives. Again, these are only my opinions, and I have always believed that opinions were like strings... every yo-yo has one.

1) Calling this movie the Claremont / Miller "Japan Saga" is like spray painting a duck and calling it a swan. It may look similar, it may be in the same location... but that's where it ends. If you're willing to be OK with that... than you can cross this one out of the negative column.
    2) What they did to the Harada / Silver Samurai character, or in this movie I should say character(s), was obviously thought up by someone who apparently read the story, understood who the character was and was supposed to be... and then totally disregarded it and created something that they wanted instead. The writers gave us fans a huge, huge middle finger in building up our expectations as to who that character would be and then changing it so drastically.
    3) Shingen Yashida. The character of the controlling, dominating, and brutal crime lord in the comics has been reduced to a snivelling, money hungry, spoiled child who is more caught up in hating the father who never loved him than in his family's honour. The fight scene between him and Logan, which was so beautifully done in the books, was instead a quick, predictable, and uneventful few minutes that served no purpose in driving this movie along. Most people will agree that a great story is vitally dependent upon a great villain. The Shingen character in the Claremont / Miller saga was a great villain... however, he is no more that a part of the background setting in this movie.

To sum up, I have one thing to say to anyone who hasn't seen this movie as of yet... which turned out to be the unanimous decision of the three of us as we discussed it on the drive home.
    If you have not read the story, you will be thoroughly entertained and probably will include this as one of the best movies this year.
    If you have read the story and are expecting a carbon copy placed on the big screen, you will more than likely leave the theatre with very mixed feelings of being both entertained and disappointed all at the same time.
    The Flight Forever !

Images

AE:

I agree with most of what you say. A huge part of the reason I liked it so much was expectations; mine were very low, and this hit a lot higher. (I wasn't originally invited to my second viewing because *nobody* - me included - expected me to be willing to see it twice!)

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    Y

stuff ahead...
    I'm glad you liked the Silver Samurai; I actually know the guy who built it. (He regularly comes to a Con we have here every year.)

I think a huge part of why I liked it so much is, I have no huge attachment to the source material - I'm not talking the X-Men in general, but the Claremont / Miller mini-series. (Nobody is saying that this movie is that, btw; just that it's loosely based on it. About a year ago, I lent one of my collected editions of it to the guy who built Silver Samurai, and he told me way back then they were nothing alike.)

I don't know Shingen from the comics. I mean, obvs, I've read the mini-, but he doesn't stay with me afterwards, so what they did to him doesn't ruin the experience for me - but I understand it detracting from yours.

I actually prefer this to things like Dark Knight. I think the problem I have with movies like that is that they are (relatively) joyless. That's DC's movie policy now, it seems; to make their movies bleak and joyless. This one was more fun.
    (Though both committed the crime of taking the joie-de-vivre from a character who has it as a defining characteristic for me. The Wolverine just got away with it much better - from my POV.)

~ Le Messor
    "Letters are one thing, but you may not misspell a signature."
    ~Goethe

Spoilers May Be Below!

the bullet train scenes
    Ugh. My least favourite part of the movie. It was like a scene out of some bad Tom Cruise movie.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I saw this movie somewhat unintentionally. I hadn't planned on seeing it in the theatre, but my parents (whom I hadn't seen in about 13 years) were in town to visit after I died on July 30 (I'm feeling a bit better now, thank you). I wanted to take them to the local theatre (the Warren Theatre, it was the one in Moore, OK they kept showing after the tornado in May...I live about 10 minutes away from it) and have them see a movie in the balcony (wide, comfy, heated seats and a full menu [including alcohol] brought right to your seat). The only two movies showing for the balcony were 2 Guns and The Wolverine, so the latter one won.

I enjoyed it much more than I had expected, and it got me wondering afterward...how many times has Ian McKellan gone through airport security just to have some smart aleck TSA agent stop him by saying, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!"

Images

Jason, you have *got* to expand on those stories! You haven't seen your parents, you died, then there was a tornado... any minute now, I'm expecting a wizard.
    Wait, we've got McKellan.

ROTFL! btw.

Also, glad you liked it.

~ Le Messor
    "Lewis's Law of Travel: The first piece of luggage out of the chute doesn't belong to anyone, ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Yeah, I noticed those chopsticks... though I wouldn't blame that on the script so much as the editing.
    Production studios have "continuity police" who are supposed to make sure that people/items are in the same positions between shots to make sure it all fits (eg: a person taking a drink is using the same hand, holding the drink the same, same amount of liquid in the glass, etc.)

Images

Yep! I believe the actual title is just 'Continuity'.

They just don't always work. (In fact, there's probably a continuity flub in every movie, somewhere.)

That said, with the chopsticks, we never saw him stick them back up - but he had plenty of time to do so, when we couldn't see his hands, and it wasn't a really major thing.

~ Le Messor
    "Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have."
    ~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Jason, you have *got* to expand on those stories! You haven't seen your parents, you died, then there was a tornado... any minute now, I'm expecting a wizard.
    I've had kidney disease and been on dialysis for about 12 years now, and on the 30th, something was apparently out of whack (high potassium is the most likely culprit) and I had a series of seizures. Once I got to the hospital, my heart stopped at least twice for extended lengths of time. About two days later, I wake up from a propofol (the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson) induced coma to discover a nice big tube shoved into my lung through my mouth. It was removed, and after a few more days in the hospital (and the aforementioned visit from my parents), I was released and proceeded to take them to the movies the next day. You know...the same ol' story.

It doesn't appear I suffered any drain bamage, but what really chaps my hide is that I didn't get any bright light, no tunnel, no greetings from dead relatives, or even floating above my body. Nothing. I feel gypped.

It doesn't appear I suffered any drain bamage, but what really chaps my hide is that I didn't get any bright light, no tunnel, no greetings from dead relatives, or even floating above my body. Nothing. I feel gypped.
    first of all...lol...drain bamage...love it!

second, I join myself and many others (most of whom exist only in my mind, or so the voices tell me) in wishing you well and being mostly happy (or is that happily moist?) that you are still with us. Well, I mean, obviously you are THERE, and we are...both HERE and THERE, depending...but you get my tokyo drift, right?

third, if you really needed that bright light, you should have had Nemesis run you through with that really ridiculously-thin sword of hers. In a lamp shop.

fourth...you woke up with a tube jammed into your lung, and then proceeded to go and see a movie where Wolverine practically "Black Bar"s his "Black Bar" out of his own "Black Bar" ?!?!!? (No cuss words, just didn't feel like writing "SPOILERS!") - REALLY!?!?! you're a brave man.

seriously, glad you made a full(-ish?) recovery.

Images

I'm glad you made a recovery! The other half is, what happened between you and your parents that you didn't see them for so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    fourth...you woke up with a tube jammed into your lung, and then proceeded to go and see a movie where Wolverine practically "Black Bar"s his "Black Bar" out of his own "Black Bar" ?!?!!? (No cuss words, just didn't feel like writing "SPOILERS!") - REALLY!?!?! you're a brave man.
    The worst part about it was actually that when I woke up, they had my arms restrained (to keep me from pulling the tube out of my mouth) and I had this horrible itch on my nose! The breathing tube didn't really bother me. The itch was killing me. Luckily, my girlfriend was there with a clipboard and paper, and (even though the nurses present say it never works...that the person coming out of the coma can't write legibly) I was able to write her messages. The first one: "ITCH NOSE!!" Second was to make sure our cats had food and water at home.

Priorities...

seriously, glad you made a full(-ish?) recovery.
    Thanks...still weak (but getting stronger) and my breastplate area hurts from the chest compressions and defibrillator, but I'm pretty much back to my pre-seizure level of poor health.

I'm glad you made a recovery! The other half is, what happened between you and your parents that you didn't see them for so long?
    Nothing dramatic. They live in Oregon and I've lived in Oklahoma since 2000.

And I came back from the dead twice...how many more until I catch James Hudson? One? Two?