Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I agree with Tawmis. Alpha Flight's problems didn't start when Mantlo and Mignola took over with issue 29. Byrne killing off second core character Sasquatch in issue 24 was a big mistake. Putting Walter's spirit in the Box armor was somewhat amusing for a couple of issues but then they got rid of Walter completely by issue 29, another big mistake. Back in issue 28, Walter should have asked the Beyonder to get his original body back. But then that Alpha Flight / Hulk crossover story would have gone differently, if not at all (which probably would have been better in hindsight.)
You know, mixed with the other post about the Conspiracy theory - it makes you wonder about the HULK story some more right? Was Walter REALLY needed to be killed to set up the HULK story? Or was this a way for someone (Byrne?) - to essentially say, "Hey Alpha Flight fans - in the event you didn't know - I am going to be doing the Hulk comic! And here's how I am going to transition him - and make every Alpha Flight fan know! And perhaps drag some Alpha Flight fans with me over to Hulk!"

Because, really - the entire story of Walter being killed seemed to be one huge set up for the HULK storyline. I feel that could have certainly gone differently. Why not have a story where Walter goes after someone (a Great Beast) and they fall into the portal together and it closes behind them? Then do the Hulk story line, where they end up pulling out Hulk. That would have at least left the door open for the next writer to reach out to try and rescue Sasquatch and find him alive - rather than being forced to do the soul in Smart Alec, to Box, to Snowbird's body, as woman, then back to a man....