Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who told you to make comics "real"?!?!

Default Who told you to make comics "real"?!?!

http://www.digitalspy.ca/movies/news...tch-roots.html

So, this 'actress' (I've never heard of her) is talking about playing Scarlet Witch on the big screen, and she says this about SW's wardrobe:

If someone walked around wearing what she wore in the comics, people would stop and say, 'What the hell... she thinks she's a superhero!'"
    I just "love it" when some Hollywood types want to make a superhero movie, but then they want to make it "realistic".

Seriously, to all you writers and actors and producers out there; Who Told You To Make Comics 'Real' ?!?!?! If you don't like comics the way that they are, then Don't Make A Movie Based Upon Them!

This kind of crap really burns my britches.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Blegh. See, I thought the updates for the Avengers and Thor movies did it right... keeping the essence of the iconic designs while using complex materials so they look cool and functional and not like they're running around in leotards and underwear. The first three X-Men movies and the Wolverine movies, by contrast, are the perfect example of everything wrong with wanting to make superheros look 'realistic'. 'Wow, she thinks she's a super hero or something' well no ****, because she is a super hero 'or something'. -_- The first Spider Man movie had a good costume, too, though the more recent one they fabric was so weird... too distracting.

Funny story about the x-men movie costumes... They were designed after biker and race car driver gear to look 'practical', but in truth they were hot, sweaty, and constricting. There's this great out take where the heros are running toward some sort of low barrier of some kind and should easily hop over it, and they all do this tiny pathetic little hop and start stumbling all over the place because they could hardly move their legs. lol So realistic and practical!
    Last edited by EccentricSage; 02-15-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

For the most part, I don't mind when the movies try to make the characters look more like something somebody in the real world would wear (example: the X-Men movies leather costumes over their flashy comic book ones), though movies like The Avengers line has shown that the basic concept of the comic book costumes can look decent in real life.

What bothers me, is when the comic books try to take those looks from the live-action movies and shoe horns them into the comics (example: the X-Men comics after the X-Men movies leather costumes).

Nah, even if the script hadn't sucked, the look of the X-Men was awful. They all wore the same outfit pretty much, and the outfits didn't really make sense to me. I want to see iconic character designs brought to life, not a bunch of painfully boring people standing around in black motocross suits. I agree about them trying to bring too much 'realism' into the comics, though. The translation of the Thor and Loki updates to the comic book were subtle and smooth. But the X-Men in the early 2000s... unreadable.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

A couple of minutes ago, on a different thread, I mentioned how much I hate the 'It's realistic' justification. I hadn't even seen this thread yet!

I loathe the 'it's realistic' justification. I like my stuff to be grounded, sure. I like it to have verisimilitude, absolutely.
    If I'm complaining about something that happened and saying it's stupid, or that would never happen, call it realistic and make a good case and I might be swayed by your argument.
    BUT*

If I'm saying 'I'm not enjoying this' you will never, ever, EVER change my mind by saying 'it's realistic'. Soooo many people try that.
    Half the time, it's not even true.
    Here's a list of words that are not synonymous with 'realistic':
    grim, gritty, dark, colourless, joyless, humourless, good, enjoyable

In fact, I'd say the last is an antonym - the more realistic something is, the less I usually enjoy it. Which is why my chosen genre is fantasy (and sci-fi and superhero), NOT contemporary realism (so-called 'literary' fiction), or documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    For the most part, I don't mind when the movies try to make the characters look more like something somebody in the real world would wear (example: the X-Men movies leather costumes over their flashy comic book ones), though movies like The Avengers line has shown that the basic concept of the comic book costumes can look decent in real life.
    Much as I love the first two X-Men movies and First Class (sorry, ES), this always bothered me about the first two. I get you want to make it more 'realistic' (because of course in real life nobody ever wears bright colours...), but at least convince me you've seen the costumes in the comics! They didn't do that. (First Class did, but the first two didn't.)

What bothers me, is when the comic books try to take those looks from the live-action movies and shoe horns them into the comics (example: the X-Men comics after the X-Men movies leather costumes).
    Yeah, that too.

~ Le Messor
    "Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology."

* I like big buts

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    BUT*
    Much as I love the first two X-Men movies and First Class (sorry, ES), this always bothered me about the first two. I get you want to make it more 'realistic' (because of course in real life nobody ever wears bright colours...), but at least convince me you've seen the costumes in the comics! They didn't do that. (First Class did, but the first two didn't.)
    The reason I liked the X-Men costumes in the movies (keep in mind, I'd still rather see good looking iconic costumes first) is that it made sense to me that the X-Men's uniforms would be more...uniform. The dark leather ones also seemed more functional to me in terms of protection than, say, bat-nipples. I'd have been happier if the X-Men uniforms had been leather but maybe looked like the original comic book design (the ones with the yellow stripe going down the body). Didn't First Class kind of go that route?
    In fact, it really seems it wasn't until the modern Avengers line of movies that Hollywood has really seemed to learn how to adapt the comic costumes into something that doesn't look completely ridiculous on the big screen. So hopefully no more Power Rangers Green Goblin.

* I like big buts
    "Everybody I know has a big 'but'. Come on, Simone, let's talk about your big 'but'."
    ~Pee-Wee Herman, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
    Last edited by Jason Eberly; 02-16-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to give credit to the quote...made you look!

Images

The reason I liked the X-Men costumes in the movies (keep in mind, I'd still rather see good looking iconic costumes first) is that it made sense to me that the X-Men's uniforms would be more...uniform.
    Yes - despite what I said, I don't hate the movie uniforms; I just wished they'd looked like their comic counterparts. At all.

The dark leather ones also seemed more functional to me in terms of protection than, say, bat-nipples.
    Oh, no he di'n't! *snap* *snap*

Didn't First Class kind of go that route?
    Yes, which is why I liked it - it looks real, functional, and like the comic book costumes! It can be done!

In fact, it really seems it wasn't until the modern Avengers line of movies that Hollywood has really seemed to learn how to adapt the comic costumes into something that doesn't look completely ridiculous on the big screen. So hopefully no more Power Rangers Green Goblin.
    I was always happy with the Christopher Reeve Superman and Tobey McGuire Spider-Man costumes.
    But not that ridiculous Power Rangers Green Goblin.

~ Le Messor
    "Yes, he's wearing that dumb Power Rangers mask,
    But he's scarier without it on."
    ~ "Weird Al" Yankovic, Ode To A Superhero

[QUOTE=Jason Eberly;93580]The reason I liked the X-Men costumes in the movies (keep in mind, I'd still rather see good looking iconic costumes first) is that it made sense to me that the X-Men's uniforms would be more...uniform. The dark leather ones also seemed more functional to me in terms of protection than, say, bat-nipples.

I was more disappionted that Batgirl DIDN'T have the nipples and yet the guys did! Wouldn't that have made more sense (but then I suppose the movie would have had an "R" rating or something.😜

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I was always happy with the Christopher Reeve Superman and Tobey McGuire Spider-Man costumes.
    But not that ridiculous Power Rangers Green Goblin.
    Oh, totally agreed about Chris Reeves (even the George Reeves one was pretty good). And for that matter, I loved the Keaton Batman costume (though it was stiff as a board, it looked awesome!). In fact, all the Burton Batman character costumes were pretty sweet. In editing the post, I accidentally left out I was referring to the "modern era" of superhero movies starting with X-Men in 2000. Catwoman, Bullseye, the FF, Doctor Doom, etc.

Not to say there aren't a few gems in there, but costumes really started to seem to click with Iron Man. Or maybe even Batman Begins. I forget which came out first. Oh, and not to say there haven't been a few misses, either (Captain America's costume in The Avengers).

Bleh. Never mind. I guess there's always been some good, some bad. I just think we're currently in an era of the good outweighing the bad.

Images

Digger, a LOT of people were disappointed about that!

I also liked the Keaton Batmans (I just didn't think of them when listing).

I think the good Marvel ones are currently outweighing the bad Marvel ones.

[QUOTE=DIGGER;93582]
    The reason I liked the X-Men costumes in the movies (keep in mind, I'd still rather see good looking iconic costumes first) is that it made sense to me that the X-Men's uniforms would be more...uniform. The dark leather ones also seemed more functional to me in terms of protection than, say, bat-nipples.

I was more disappionted that Batgirl DIDN'T have the nipples and yet the guys did! Wouldn't that have made more sense (but then I suppose the movie would have had an "R" rating or something.
    I for one found the bat nipples VERY sexual, and wanted to tweak them. I don't even like batman and don't remember what actor was in that suit.... The chest was just so nice and the nipples were so shiny and excited to see me...
    Last edited by EccentricSage; 02-17-2014 at 06:19 AM.

[QUOTE=EccentricSage;93585]
    Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post

I for one found the bat nipples VERY sexual, and wanted to tweak them. I don't even like batman and don't remember what actor was in that suit.... The chest was just so nice and the nipples were so shiny and excited to see me...

......O.......K........?😳

Actually, if we are talking about costume authenticity in relation to comic books, Robin from the '60's t.v. show is the most accurate followed by Spider-Man on the Electric Company and the short lived t.v. show from the late '70's.

Images

The 60's Batman got most of the costumes right, especially the villains. At least, as far as 'right' means 'looking like the comics'.
    They did look a little cheap, though - like they were costumes, not something people would ordinarily wear. (Does that make sense?)

~ Le Messor
    "Everything in life is luck."
    ~ Donald Trump

Images

[QUOTE=EccentricSage;93585]
    Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    I for one found the bat nipples VERY sexual, and wanted to tweak them.
    See, that's a problem. Batman is supposed to be a dark avenger of the night. His appearance is supposed to strike fear into the hearts of criminals; not make them want to go 'noogie noogie noogie'.