Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    Am I the only one who has/had a difficult time digesting this bit of news?
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Not by a long shot.

I mean, remember how Byrne went to the trouble of researching the correct medical term?
    Yeah, CJ, um...this is just one of MANY Alpha Flight "inconsistencies" in the writing and characterization...honestly it was like, either some people never read Byrne's Alpha Flight before taking over it themselves, or they maybe just really hated him?

Actually, maybe your term was better; this is one of several "WTF's" that have sadly gone on over the years...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Yeah, CJ, um...this is just one of MANY Alpha Flight "inconsistencies" in the writing and characterization...honestly it was like, either some people never read Byrne's Alpha Flight before taking over it themselves, or they maybe just really hated him?

Actually, maybe your term was better; this is one of several "WTF's" that have sadly gone on over the years...
    Yeah... The Heather stuff I could overlook, but the Puck stuff is where it starts to go downhill quickly... We still have Elf-gate to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yeah... The Heather stuff I could overlook, but the Puck stuff is where it starts to go downhill quickly... We still have Elf-gate to come...
    I'm having a hard time overlooking any of it.
    Heather is a super disappointment to me because she was one of my faves in Byrne's run, and now she is either just whining, being *****y, or being demanding (TRAIN ME NOW).

And am I missing something? Because it keeps being mentioned how Heather went from Mac's secretary, to lover, to wife.
    That is not how I recall it. There was no time for "lover" to be a separate mention.
    She showed up at his house with groceries and one of the first sentences out of her mouth was the recommendation of marriage.
    Didn't they get married, like, the next day?

I read #33, and while I liked it a little better towards the end, I feel like somebody stole my characters and replaced them with strangers.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

And am I missing something? Because it keeps being mentioned how Heather went from Mac's secretary, to lover, to wife.
    That is not how I recall it. There was no time for "lover" to be a separate mention.
    No, you're not missing anything. You're not out of order. The Bill Mantlo's out of order! The whole frickin' system is out of order! Marvel is out of order! Justice is out of order! The vending machine next to the men's room, that sells candies and coke is out of order!

Didn't they get married, like, the next day?
    It wasn't quite that quick.
    Volume 2 even has a -1 issue that deals with their marriage, but...

I feel like somebody stole my characters and replaced them with strangers.
    Welcome to my nightmare.
    That's pretty much how I feel about not only Mantlo's run, but v2 as well. In fact, all the post-1 volumes (some of them just had more enjoyable strangers than others).

v1 does get better, though (imho). Just, not in a hurry. And it'll never be as good as it was under Byrne.

~ Le Messor
    "Most of the evils of life arise from man's being unable to sit still in a room."
    ~ Blaise Pascal

No, you're not missing anything. You're not out of order. The Bill Mantlo's out of order! The whole frickin' system is out of order! Marvel is out of order! Justice is out of order! The vending machine next to the men's room, that sells candies and coke is out of order!
    I read that as "candles and coke" at first.

Welcome to my nightmare.
    That's pretty much how I feel about not only Mantlo's run, but v2 as well. In fact, all the post-1 volumes (some of them just had more enjoyable strangers than others).

v1 does get better, though (imho). Just, not in a hurry. And it'll never be as good as it was under Byrne.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to read #34. Knowing that Puck is really just has the whatever-of-some-sword living in him that has shrunk and causes his pain. I guess Mantlo thought our imaginations needed that? Puck needed some sort of history boost?

Oh! I forgot that scan I was going to post yesterday (or some day, don't remember). I had to read this a few times to convince myself Heather wasn't completely heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Elf-Gate! The part where Northstar goes off to live with the Elves of whateverwhateverland?
    I was just reading through older posts in my thread here.
    So much of what you guys said in the past actually makes sense to me now.
    See how far I've come in becoming jaded from Mantlo's run?
    It's actually becoming funny.
    If I didn't laugh, I'd cry everytime I read an issue.