Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Hybrid View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    That's one of the many issues I had with Llan. To me, he was written to be "Looks How Bad Arse And Evil I Am" - and didn't do it in a way that really showed it properly. To me, it seemed like Hudnall was trying too hard - to show how "evil" Llan was.
    I hate that... but at least it's a villain doing it here!

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    I'm missing most of Mantlo's run, save for some of the less offensive issues,
    My reading brain went on the fritz. I kept reading that as 'I really miss those offensive issues', not 'I have none of the issues except the less offensive ones', which you clearly meant.

The thing that bugs me about when he hooks back up with Lil is how in one panel she calls him 'Mr. Jeffries' which is just weird for an ex-lover to do...
    To be fair, he never liked going by his first name.
    To be unfair (?), the 'Mr.' makes it sound weird.

Speaking of which, I'd love to attempt to re-draw some of that run for practice,
    I tried that too, once. I just didn't get very far (ran out of steam after a few pages; and I was working from the art, not the script).

Last time I saw him he looked like Reed Richard's long lost brother, though, and acted like he'd become autistic or something... Have I missed anything good, or is this more a case of the absence of outstandingly bad developments passing as good enough?
    Whatever happened, it happened in X-Men and Weapon X... I'm probably missing a lot of the X-Men issues, but I think it's just one of those cases of 'We want to write a bunch of dull, emotionless characters (or angry, nasty characters) with nothing to make people want to read them. Uh... uh... It's Realistic! You'd be that way too, if you'd been through what this character has been through! REALISTIC!!!!!!!!!!!'

~ Le Messor
    "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
    ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I hate that... but at least it's a villain doing it here!
    I just feel like DreamQueen got wrapped up and Llan was introduced; it just feels like had the story been extended, this could have been a story that centered on DreamQueen more (which would have been nice!), and perhaps made it more enjoyable. (And less of a "city of mass murder spree" would have been nice too...)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I just feel like DreamQueen got wrapped up and Llan was introduced; it just feels like had the story been extended, this could have been a story that centered on DreamQueen more (which would have been nice!), and perhaps made it more enjoyable. (And less of a "city of mass murder spree" would have been nice too...)
    I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, either. As much as I did like Hudnall's writing, the Llan character and story are... not my favourites.
    (Remember, for example, how we found out his name? Neither do I. One issue he was just 'the Sorcerer', the next they were calling him Llan as if that had always been his name.)

~ Le Messor
    "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, either. As much as I did like Hudnall's writing, the Llan character and story are... not my favourites. (Remember, for example, how we found out his name? Neither do I. One issue he was just 'the Sorcerer', the next they were calling him Llan as if that had always been his name.)
    I don't even remember that they suddenly just knew his name!