Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    ohmygod, TAWMIS.
    IWASJUSTTHINKINGTHIS.
    Figured as much!

Really, though, even though Heather is still a leader, and she still likes to state that quite a lot, somehow Hudnall writes her a MILLION TIMES better than Mantlo ever did.
    He gives her flaws while not making her sacrifice her team because of her flaws. Which makes her real(er).
    I agree. I love how he writes Alpha Flight. Now if he had only made Llan more interesting!

And Jeffries had Diamond Lil in his apartment when Heather called to tell him she wasn't going to be able to come over to see him that evening, and he said it was okay he had other things to do anyway.
    So, yeah, obviously his "other things to do" was Diamond Lil.
    Have you seen Diamond Lil? Rawr!

Just get him away from Heather. Bring Mac back. And my Alpha Flight will BE that much closer to being correct again.
    You won't have to hold your breath much longer...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Y'know, I've just looked up #77, and I barely remember it. When you were talking about Heather solo, I kept thinking of the one where she goes back to her home town to fight alien plant monsters, which I actually kind of like.

This one?
    I vaguely remember the cover, and a little of what happens inside. About as vaguely as a French wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Yeah, but Heather's a redhead!

~ Le Messor
    "There is no roll to save against redheads."
    ~ Gaming saying

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Y'know, I've just looked up #77, and I barely remember it. When you were talking about Heather solo, I kept thinking of the one where she goes back to her home town to fight alien plant monsters, which I actually kind of like. This one? I vaguely remember the cover, and a little of what happens inside. About as vaguely as a French wave.
    The pod issue happens prior to this. It reminds me of the story that happened in Defenders (#132). Man I miss the DEFENDERS during that era...
    http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/defenders/3#i132

This is true. But she did sort of murder Snowbird.

The pod issue happens prior to this. It reminds me of the story that happened in Defenders (#132). Man I miss the DEFENDERS during that era...
    http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/defenders/3#i132
    Not sure I read that one. I know I owned 125, 130, 136, 138, 143, 147...and read a couple more around there...

Notice I said "owned".

Just had a conversation with my mother a few weeks ago, she mentioned all the many boxes of comics she "Gave Away" when i moved away from home...Just.About.Lost.My.Mind.Thinking.About.It.

The Alpha Flight pod issue...wasn't that in the 50's somewhere? Mik, I'm with you, i enjoyed that issue. It didn't fele real Flighty, it was more of a Heather stand-alone creepy-scarey issue, but it was still well written and a good read.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Not sure I read that one. I know I owned 125, 130, 136, 138, 143, 147...and read a couple more around there...
    Notice I said "owned".
    Just had a conversation with my mother a few weeks ago, she mentioned all the many boxes of comics she "Gave Away" when i moved away from home...Just.About.Lost.My.Mind.Thinking.About.It.
    The Alpha Flight pod issue...wasn't that in the 50's somewhere? Mik, I'm with you, i enjoyed that issue. It didn't fele real Flighty, it was more of a Heather stand-alone creepy-scarey issue, but it was still well written and a good read.
    You are a better person than I. I could not imagine if I had lost my comics because someone gave them away. Although, when I moved from San Diego to TN (long story) for two years; then moved from TN _back_ to San Diego - I had to sell off like six of my long comic boxes, dirt cheap, to a local comic shop, to get some extra money to afford the move. I went back and recollected most of what I had sold off (which, included the older run of Defenders, I had kept my New Defenders portion of the run).

Images

I'm so sorry to hear it.
    I'd go spare.

It also reminded me of Byrne's run and the individual character stories back then.

I had to sell off like six of my long comic boxes, dirt cheap, to a local comic shop, to get some extra money to afford the move. I went back and recollected most of what I had sold off (which, included the older run of Defenders, I had kept my New Defenders portion of the run).
    Also sad. I'm reminded of going to a comic shop where they told me they'd moved to a smaller premises and had to throw out a ton of old stock. So sad.

~ Le Messor
    "Neuroses are red, Melancholia's blue."

Hello, EccentricSage-

Yes, my name is a Pixies reference.
    I am from the Chicagoland as well.
    And Jeffries had Diamond Lil in his apartment when Heather called to tell him she wasn't going to be able to come over to see him that evening, and he said it was okay he had other things to do anyway.
    So, yeah, obviously his "other things to do" was Diamond Lil.

Just get him away from Heather. Bring Mac back. And my Alpha Flight will BE that much closer to being correct again.
    Awesome on both accounts! If I've not scared you off yet, maybe we can meet up and fangirl sometime!(or fanboy? Never sure of people's sex online)

Ah, I do have that issue and didn't like it. It was so sudden and cold, how they made Madison and Lil an item again... It made both characters look like total ass holes towards Heather for no logical reason. Though I thought it was stupid that they hooked back up at all, to be honest. Madison had told Lil and Wildchild that he knew about the mind control, and would see what he could do for them. Then, after becoming the Hero Who Saved Alpha Flight he promptly tells his friends they'll have to take the fall and throws them under the bus! What a great guy, eh?

So I guess I can see Madison being so cold and impulsive, but Lil wanting to be with him after that...? WHY?

You might think I hate Jeffries after saying that, but I really like him as a character... He has such great power and potential for good and evil... really under used. My theory is that he's someone with a complex who wants to play the hero... the sort of person who doesn't act out of true altruism but deludes himself into seeing himself as altruistic, as a form of self-mythology. This could explain a lot of his history, really. That said, I think he means well, but meaning well doesn't matter when your only priority deep down is to live in a hero fantasy and you are easily led astray. I wish a writer would do some work with his psychology and continuity... I think there's a good story that could be told there. He's so humanly flawed.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

I agree. I love how he writes Alpha Flight. Now if he had only made Llan more interesting!
    I have yet to read his uninteresting Llan. I didn't get to read yesterday because I had too much work.

I'm with Le Messor: Heather is a red head. We're kind of awesome.

You won't have to hold your breath much longer...
    Thank GOD.
    I've only been waiting forever.

Y'know, I've just looked up #77, and I barely remember it. When you were talking about Heather solo, I kept thinking of the one where she goes back to her home town to fight alien plant monsters, which I actually kind of like.
    That is #47. And it sucked. Mantlo wrote that one. And while I wasn't exactly keen on Hudnall's detective/mystery/conspiracy issue with Heather, it was a LOT better than Mantlo's, imo. Plus, it added the drama of "Is Madison really sexing Diamond Lil while Heather is on the phone with him? Yes? HATEHIM."

She's a coppery one, too, it would seem.

~ Le Messor
    "There is no roll to save against redheads."
    ~ Gaming saying
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    Awesome on both accounts! If I've not scared you off yet, maybe we can meet up and fangirl sometime!(or fanboy? Never sure of people's sex online)

Ah, I do have that issue and didn't like it. It was so sudden and cold, how they made Madison and Lil an item again... It made both characters look like total ass holes towards Heather for no logical reason. Though I thought it was stupid that they hooked back up at all, to be honest. Madison had told Lil and Wildchild that he knew about the mind control, and would see what he could do for them. Then, after becoming the Hero Who Saved Alpha Flight he promptly tells his friends they'll have to take the fall and throws them under the bus! What a great guy, eh?

So I guess I can see Madison being so cold and impulsive, but Lil wanting to be with him after that...? WHY?

You might think I hate Jeffries after saying that, but I really like him as a character... He has such great power and potential for good and evil... really under used. My theory is that he's someone with a complex who wants to play the hero... the sort of person who doesn't act out of true altruism but deludes himself into seeing himself as altruistic, as a form of self-mythology. This could explain a lot of his history, really. That said, I think he means well, but meaning well doesn't matter when your only priority deep down is to live in a hero fantasy and you are easily led astray. I wish a writer would do some work with his psychology and continuity... I think there's a good story that could be told there. He's so humanly flawed.
    It's okay. I really do NOT like Jeffries. I never had much interest in him as a character before he became Box, but at least he was likeable. Then he became Box, and I never liked how Mantlo made them a thing.
    But then once they became a thing, and Hudnall started writing them, I accepted it. And then the jerk went and cheated on her with Diamond Lil.
    Now I don't like him. And I never probably will. However, I like Diamond Lil, and will probably like her even more once I get to know her better (she gets more development).

Oh, and I'm a female. I love to fangirl, and I barely meet anyone, irl, who fangirls as much as I do. I'm kind of used to keeping it to myself.

I like Jeffries under Byrne and everyone after Hudnall.

Basically anyone but Mantlo & Hudnall.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I like Jeffries under Byrne and everyone after Hudnall.

Basically anyone but Mantlo & Hudnall.
    He didn't get much development under Byrne, iirc, but he didn't bother me under Byrne. He bothered me under Mantlo and now under Hudnall.

Images

He didn't get much development under Byrne, iirc, but he didn't bother me under Byrne. He bothered me under Mantlo and now under Hudnall.
    Under Byrne, he had that blue collar thing going for him. He was just an average Joe, trying to make a living, but happened to have superpowers.
    I liked that. It felt 'different'.

It evaporated the moment Mantlo took over, though, and he turned into just another superhero.

~ Le Messor
    "Nature tools along, not knowing that it's unified."
    ~ Allan Sandage

Under Byrne, he had that blue collar thing going for him. He was just an average Joe, trying to make a living, but happened to have superpowers.
    I liked that. It felt 'different'.

It evaporated the moment Mantlo took over, though, and he turned into just another superhero.
    Totally agreed on both parts.

I hated the idea of him as an alpha-male heartthrob. I even preferred Tieri's brainwashed version.

I quite like him how he is now (or how he was when last seen him) as at least he's not just another generic superhero.

I've always liked Box and thought they used the character pretty poorly. But such is life with Marvel.

Box as a working-class character with powers who fears his ability but learns to use them to do good, that's Jeffries.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.