Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post

CJ, I haven't gotten how to do the multiple "reply with quotes" like everybody else
    The way I do it - is the messages I want to reply to, I right click the "Reply With Quote" and open it in another tab in Firefox. Then just copy and paste it into the message and reply to each segment.

And Mac "creating" BEDLAM from a murderous convict (who is both referred to as a man and shown to be a woman, in the same issue)...
    I missed the man/woman thing...

No, I get mad when inane stuff happens and people are supposed to just take it. As mentioned, over 22 issues of this stuff...MARVEL must've known what it was publishing. At a time when DC comics was publishing WATCHMEN and THE DARK KNIGHT, Marvel was putting out AF# 52-53/the Mantlo era and Shooter's SECRET WARS.
    Now hold up. You are NOT saying that Secret Wars was on par with Mantlo's worse times in AF, are you? Secret Wars II, sure. But the original Secret Wars? I believe that was some golden writing - especially getting a chance to see some villains get some development.

Pestilence beats AF handily: 1 vs. 6 (Aurora, Northstar, Vindicator, Puck, Box, Shaman...with Snowbird out of it, Thompson spewing nonsense, and Talisman manipulating things), then Pestilence controls most of The GREAT BEASTS!
    Didn't happen...and ya can't make me believe it happened!
    Pestilence beating Alpha Flight, I was okay with. Doctor Doom frequently beats the Fantastic Four. Magneto has beaten every version of the X-Men. It was harder for me to believe that Pestilence was able to control the Great Beasts - however, at the time I was okay with it. It weakened the Great Beasts, especially since Tundra alone took all of Alpha Flight to beat him. But by the time the Pestilence story came about, AF had gone a few rounds with the Great Beasts - all of them at once - and beat them. So they were already coming across weaker than their original creation. I actually liked Pestilence as a villain, as well as his origin. I didn't care for the end result, and how it related to Snowbird.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    You are NOT saying that Secret Wars was on par with Mantlo's worse times in AF, are you?
    I think he was listing Secret Wars as a good thing, a benchmark to judge Mantlo's AF against.

I haven't taken issue with AF's villains, or their situations with them, and I think it's because I cannot even get past how the team functions as a team and individual members, so I haven't even made it to what I think of their villains.
    Like Tawmis, I didn't mind Pestilence so much because I don't mind cheesy and quirky/crazy villains. Even if they seem like silly and useless villains.
    The way AF behaves, and how Heather hogs the show with her stupid thought bubbles, that's where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    I was close!
    You, and Garry, were both absolutely correct!
    His famous ski winnings were definitely not as Beaubier.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    You, and Garry, were both absolutely correct!
    His famous ski winnings were definitely not as Beaubier.
    I was correct about the name, but I don't think I was correct about the scene with Mac. But I was close enough.
    Thanks for putting up the link, Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I think he was listing Secret Wars as a good thing, a benchmark to judge Mantlo's AF against.
    Oh. Okay, then that I would understand. My brain nearly exploded. (Don't worry, not much there to explode...)

I haven't taken issue with AF's villains, or their situations with them, and I think it's because I cannot even get past how the team functions as a team and individual members, so I haven't even made it to what I think of their villains. Like Tawmis, I didn't mind Pestilence so much because I don't mind cheesy and quirky/crazy villains. Even if they seem like silly and useless villains. The way AF behaves, and how Heather hogs the show with her stupid thought bubbles, that's where I am at.
    See, as I said before, I actually liked Pestilence. He came with a cool little origin. He was pretty much crazy. He was a legitimate threat to the Alpha Flight team (fatally so, it would appear, to some members... /sigh)

He's actually a villain, I wouldn't mind seeing resurface again, with a good story.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Trying to learn a new trick....

Hard way:
    Hit 'reply with quote' and copy everything inside the box you get.
    Easy way:
    Hit the little speech bubble with open quotes " and a plus sign; keep hitting those until you've collected all the posts you want to quote (gotta catch 'em all!) and then hit 'reply with quote'; they'll all appear inside the box you get.

Confirmed, but her name had a hyphen.

Gotta be honest; I'd rather read Mantlo's AF than Watchmen or TDK.

Both Watchmen and TDK are books I would really have to be of a mind to re-read, but as far as an example of superb craftsmenship in every aspect (writing, illustration, lettering, concept) few have utilized sequential storytelling to this degree. Neither the Mantlo run nor what I've read of Secret Wars comes close...for me. G/A-F

If by 'everybody' you mean the people around him, in that origin issue he instantly snatched up the name Beaubier, saying he had no real connection to the Martins.
    If you include the general public, that IS a hole.

I meant the ski-fan and Kara Killgrave, in particular, although the irate ski-pro pretty much covers 'everybody', as far as I remembered. G/A-F

She started to develop a third personality with a heavy accent in Byrne's run. Mantlo just took that and, well, didn't do well with it.
    OR: look at what you just said. Aren't you constantly traumatised in Mantlo's run?

~ Le Messor
    Lawyer: "Mr. Slatery, you went on a rather elaborate honeymoon, didn't you?"
    Mr. Slatery: "I went to Europe, Sir."
    Lawyer: "And you took your new wife?"
    ~ allegedly a real lawyer's questions. Allegedly.

I know I'm constantly traumatized by the Mantlo run. G/A-F

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    The way I do it - is the messages I want to reply to, I right click the "Reply With Quote" and open it in another tab in Firefox. Then just copy and paste it into the message and reply to each segment.

I missed the man/woman thing...

I'll check the exact pages when I go home....G/A-F

Now hold up. You are NOT saying that Secret Wars was on par with Mantlo's worse times in AF, are you? Secret Wars II, sure. But the original Secret Wars? I believe that was some golden writing - especially getting a chance to see some villains get some development.

(1) A good example of sequential storytelling (2) Stands the test of time (3) Makes sense. Whichever ones fit, so be it.

Pestilence beating Alpha Flight, I was okay with. Doctor Doom frequently beats the Fantastic Four. Magneto has beaten every version of the X-Men. It was harder for me to believe that Pestilence was able to control the Great Beasts - however, at the time I was okay with it. It weakened the Great Beasts, especially since Tundra alone took all of Alpha Flight to beat him. But by the time the Pestilence story came about, AF had gone a few rounds with the Great Beasts - all of them at once - and beat them. So they were already coming across weaker than their original creation. I actually liked Pestilence as a villain, as well as his origin. I didn't care for the end result, and how it related to Snowbird.
    This is where it's a stretch for me. I like Pestilence as a villain, but he's not Doctor Doom and he's not Magneto: he's a guy who had been buried unmoving in the ground for over 100 years who (thanks to Talisman) hijacked the essense of Snowbird-and-Doug's baby...who could cry, sure, but walk and talk? Tundra consumed his host; Ranaq consumed his host. And they most likely were just earthly-manifestations of the Beasts. From a story-cohesiveness aspect, Pestilence paying for his (incorrect) presumptuousness would have mirrored nicely Talisman paying for her incorrect presumptuousness.

Alpha Flight suffered greatly when they fought the GREAT BEASTS in # 24: Somon tricked them, and ambushed Talisman, Aurora, and Northstar; only Walter's sacrifice revived them.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 06-22-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I didn't even get to mention the whole Coronet of Enchantment nonsense

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hard way:
    Hit 'reply with quote' and copy everything inside the box you get.
    (Then, I forgot to add: paste that into the next 'reply with quote' box you get; lather, rinse, repeat.)
    Here's a screenshot to show you the coding I use to split up people's quotes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GarryScreenshot.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	4158

If I'm doing several quotes from the same post, I usually copy and paste </quote>, three empty lines, <quote=person;postnumber> (with square brackets, not triangle) and paste it in where needed. I'll put my stuff in the middle line of the three.

Both Watchmen and TDK are books I would really have to be of a mind to re-read, but as far as an example of superb craftsmenship in every aspect (writing, illustration, lettering, concept)
    They are good examples of the craft... But not concept. At least, not Watchmen. It's Moore's usual concept of 'I'll take a bunch of somebody else's characters, add a rape scene, then sit back and wait for my next Eisner'. That's not a good concept, not to me.

the essense of Snowbird-and-Doug's baby...who could cry, sure, but walk and talk?
    I'm okay with it, at least as far as comic book science goes. It's a body being controlled by a developed mind, and while some of the musculature wouldn't be developed... close enough. It's also a possession - I doubt Regan could turn her head 360 degrees, but the demon inside her could!

Ah! That's RIGHT! Pestilence! and Snowbird and Doug's baby! See the things my mind refuses to allow me to remember?
    God, that was a bunch of nonsense.
    The only part my brain recalled from all of that was that Heather killed all of them.
    hahahaha. Go figure.

This is how I quote more than one person:
    I hit "reply with Quote", then I reply under them. Once I am done replying to them, I highlight it, hit ctrl+c. Then I hit "cancel" at the bottom of the box. Then onto the next post where I paste the previous reply above the new post I want to reply to. Rinse and repeat until I've replied to all the posts and they're all quoted in the same box.

To quote the same person, in the same post, but to break their post up so you can reply to different points:
    I hit "reply with Quote", then I find the point/part I want to reply to. I then do the [ / QUOTE] (but, you know, all together). Once I am done reply to that point, I go up to where it says their name with the quote code, I highlight it, hit ctrl+c, and I paste it in front of the next point/part of theirs that I want to reply to with the quote code at the end. Then I reply.
    Freaking hell, does any of that make sense?

Ah! That's RIGHT! Pestilence! and Snowbird and Doug's baby! See the things my mind refuses to allow me to remember?
    God, that was a bunch of nonsense. The only part my brain recalled from all of that was that Heather killed all of them. hahahaha. Go figure.
    That's the part that I keep saying, I enjoyed Pestilence, just not the end result of the storyline...

Freaking hell, does any of that make sense?
    Peking duck, yes it does! Actually, that was one of the easiest-to-understand complicated-answers that I have read lately. My ADD wasn't making any sense of everybody else's instructions (not YOUR fault, people; entirely mine!), but this I understood perfectly.

As far as Pestilence, he is one of my favourite Four Horsemen of the Alpaca's (?!?), next to Petulance, Persistence, and Sneezy. Okay seriously, i didn't mind him as a villain, he was 'creepy', made my skin crawl (in a good way!). As others have commented here already, I didn't like the resolution to the Pestilence Plot, not at all.

As far as Heather goes, I have literally nothing good to say about her since she put on the suit. Unpowered Heather was awesome, and she really should have stayed that way. I know some will disagree, but I'd like her to go back to how she was during Byrne's run; I'd have her go through some horrible accident, become paralyzed, put her in a wheelchair (a la Barbara Gordon, pre-New 52) running the team from the safety of her home while she takes care of her daughter. That would allow her attitudes to slowly shift back more towards how she used to be, I think.
    Last edited by Flightpath07; 06-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    As far as Heather goes, I have literally nothing good to say about her since she put on the suit. Unpowered Heather was awesome, and she really should have stayed that way. I know some will disagree, but I'd like her to go back to how she was during Byrne's run; I'd have her go through some horrible accident, become paralyzed, put her in a wheelchair (a la Barbara Gordon, pre-New 52) running the team from the safety of her home while she takes care of her daughter. That would allow her attitudes to slowly shift back more towards how she used to be, I think.
    I don't need to see her paralyzed... otherwise people probably would compare her to Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle, from Pre-52) or compare her to like Charles Xavier. There is the issue about her and Mac having a child - but we haven't seen that since it was first mentioned, right? But that, would be, what I would personally like to see. I'd like to see Mac stay in the costume, become the rightful, good leader he should have been. And Heather be the responsible mother, and basically be Alpha Flight's eyes and ears (sort of like Barbara Gordon/Oracle) via a super complicated computer system, that Mac and/or Jeffries has built to monitor events happening in Canada, and around the world. So Heather would essentially become the Work At Home Mom, who stands up to Mac, and Alpha Flight, when she believes she's right - and bring her back to a strong, sensible woman, that doesn't need to be in a costume to be a match for the rest of Alpha Flight.