Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Now you're all just punking me! LOL
    The more I think about the Llan storyline, the more I remember that you're right, I didn't like it that much.
    ... OTOH, I also remember loving Hudnall's writing; mostly because I devoured #74 (which was part of said storyline) even though I hated the art.

I even started trying to redraw it myself, but never got anywhere.

I enjoy the original 5 or 6 Friday the 13th's for what they were. Brainless slasher flicks. But when Jason goes to Hell and fights there... and then when he gets shot into space, and starts killing people on a space station... then they haven't just jumped the shark, they have jumped the solar system...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think that Mantlo's run was the worst run of the volume simply because it was the longest.
    There were shorter runs that had worse ideas/plots/execution/dialogue than Mantlo did, but because they were 8 issues long they didn't make as much of a lingering stink.
    True - but those runs didn't tend to derail the characters the way Mantlo's did, either.
    I don't like Nicieza's run much, but I've loved other stuff he's written. :/

~ Le Messor
    "That would take hard work. Hard work which we don't have!"
    ~ Nostalgia Critic

Images

Now you're all just punking me! LOL
    The more I think about the Llan storyline, the more I remember that you're right, I didn't like it that much.
    ... OTOH, I also remember loving Hudnall's writing; mostly because I devoured #74 (which was part of said storyline) even though I hated the art.

I enjoy the original 5 or 6 Friday the 13th's for what they were. Brainless slasher flicks. But when Jason goes to Hell and fights there... and then when he gets shot into space, and starts killing people on a space station... then they haven't just jumped the shark, they have jumped the solar system...
    The first 5 or 6 are all I've seen. I've never seen the one with the telekinetic girl or Jason goes to Manhattan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.13.13-Jason-sad-Friday-the-12th.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	4194

Jason seems more the kind to gut a shark than jump it, but now I have the image of him on waterskis.

I've always been more of a Freddy fan... which brings us back to the DreamQueen - something CJ has to look forward to!

I think that Mantlo's run was the worst run of the volume simply because it was the longest.
    There were shorter runs that had worse ideas/plots/execution/dialogue than Mantlo did, but because they were 8 issues long they didn't make as much of a lingering stink.
    True - but those runs didn't tend to derail the characters the way Mantlo's did, either.

~ Le Messor
    "That would take hard work. Hard work which we don't have!"
    ~ Nostalgia Critic

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    See, I thought it had a good start. The two (campers?) finding the statue - and unlocking Llan. All of that I didn't mind. It was when the story got into whatever city - and there were just dead bodies everywhere, hanging over cars, hung in trees, bleeding in the streets, bodies half way through a window, etc etc - and Alpha Flight seemed unphased. I think again, this might be the case similar to Heather - this time, however, not bad story telling, but perhaps foul art. The art, and what the artist did, made it unbelievable to me. And Llan's design may have also played into a part of it all, as well. Having read the Hundall interview, he seemed to have issues with the artist, which may have impaired his own story telling. Hard to tell. But to me, that was some of the worse Alpha Flight story telling (again, perhaps because of art "telling" the story) in the original volume for me. (Also things like Gamma Flight randomly showing up seemed so out of place, from what I remember...)

Yeah, Fabian is a writing God to me. I need to look and see what issues Fabian wrote in Alpha Flight.

For me, Nicieza's run derailed one character in particular, ruining him for me for life, crapping over Byrne's writing more than anything Mantlo ever did.

Yeah, Fabian is a writing God to me. I need to look and see what issues Fabian wrote in Alpha Flight.
    #87 - #101

For me, Nicieza's run derailed one character in particular, ruining him for me for life, crapping over Byrne's writing more than anything Mantlo ever did.
    #87 - #101
    Crikey. I need to re-read Alpha Flight again... Because I can't figure out who you're talking about.
    I am in the middle of re-reading the Squadron Supreme LS (Omnibus, which is amazing!). So perhaps after that I will dig through AFv1 again. I tried AFv2 a few weeks back, and choked.

I read #53 tonight, and I forgot to read the annuals (AGAIN), so I'm hoping that in the annuals is where all these new characters come from, like Goblyn...and cannot even recall the others' names. Because if they didn't pop up in the annuals, I have NO IDEA where the hell they came from because it went from #52 to Bedlam kidnapping all of Heather Flight and a bunch of characters I'd never heard of.
    I ALMOST gave up on Alpha Flight today, guys.
    I had never been so close to giving up on the series as I was today. The beginning of #53 just...I couldn't handle it.
    But I forced myself to read on (it took me, like, an hour to get through that issue because of all the breaks I took, because: it was awful).
    I'm probably as glad as I'll ever be, during Mantlo's run, that I didn't give up because Heather *kind of* redeemed herself. At last partially. Not a TON, but it was SOMETHING.
    She apologized for thinking tons of bad things about Mac.
    And then she had a tender moment with Jeffries (D'oh!), but still. It's more than I've gotten from her in ALLLLL of Mantlo's run so far.

It's the small things, I guess.

I can honestly say I will NEVER read Mantlo's run again. NEVER. I don't care how golden Northstar's snark towards Heather was in the beginning, it's just been an awful ride so far.
    And it just keeps getting crazier and making less and less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    I read #53 tonight, and I forgot to read the annuals (AGAIN), so I'm hoping that in the annuals is where all these new characters come from, like Goblyn...and cannot even recall the others' names.
    I actually end up liking Goblyn. She, to me, was the "prequel" to Penance (from Generation X, not New Warriors).

Because if they didn't pop up in the annuals, I have NO IDEA where the hell they came from because it went from #52 to Bedlam kidnapping all of Heather Flight and a bunch of characters I'd never heard of.
    I can't recall if they appeared in the annuals first. I think they were just newly introduced characters.

I just checked:
    [table] [TR] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitLabelLeft"]First Appearance
    [/TD] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitLabelRight"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitValueLeft"]Alpha Flight #48
    [/TD] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitValueRight"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [/table]
    I ALMOST gave up on Alpha Flight today, guys.
    Carry on. You must make it through the Llan the Sorcerer storyline. I need to know your view on that overly long story...

I can't recall if they appeared in the annuals first. I think they were just newly introduced characters.

I just checked:
    [table] [TR] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitLabelLeft"]First Appearance[/TD] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitLabelRight"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitValueLeft"]Alpha Flight #48[/TD] [TD="class: characterInfoboxSplitValueRight"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [/table]
    WTF. That's a lie. I read #48 not that long ago! I would recall these characters. Sweet Hell. Now I have to go look again. That's like being pissed on twice. UGH.

Carry on. You must make it through the Llan the Sorcerer storyline. I need to know your view on that overly long story...
    Oh, I will report, trust me.

Ah! They must've been the people that Scramble was keeping in the containers. Got it.

WTF. That's a lie. I read #48 not that long ago! I would recall these characters. Sweet Hell. Now I have to go look again. That's like being pissed on twice. UGH.
    Are you suggesting that everything on the internet is not the truth!?

Images

And then she had a tender moment with Jeffries (D'oh!), but still.
    Hey! Leave a tender moment alone!

Ah! They must've been the people that Scramble was keeping in the containers. Got it.
    That sounds about right. They definitely weren't introduced in the annuals. (Honestly, though, I never had the introduction problem you're having; I wonder why?)

Also, I ended up naming my cat after Goblyn!

~ Le Messor
    Mum: Calvin, how did you break this dish?
    Calvin: I was carrying too much and it dropped.
    Mum: Your problem is you've got no common sense.
    Calvin: I've got plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.

Crikey. I need to re-read Alpha Flight again... Because I can't figure out who you're talking about.
    The character who's not in Mantlo's run but is in Nicieza's.
    And obviously, not Windshear.

Images

I know who you mean, Phil.