Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Woot! Bonus!
    Your Bonus Bonus is that I am very forgiving.

Not even close.
    It's no Byrne, but it ain't Mantlo either.

(Tawmis has... another view.)
    When does the art startting getting really bad? By bad I mean: That wretched-over-muscled-awful-90's art?

Not in my collection (in the title)... how 'bout

~ Le Messor
    "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
    Then you need to expand your collection. I bet if I looked hard enough there's some pretty good either swing/jazz/blues/other music out there that has "Little Things" of some kind in the music.
    But your quote is hilarious. And I instantly let out a long "ewwwwww" at the thought of petting sweaty things.
    Who pets sweaty things? Who even does that?

Do. not. answer. that. If you do, my opinion of you will probably change forever.

Not even close.
    It's no Byrne, but it ain't Mantlo either.
    (Tawmis has... another view.)
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    When does the art startting getting really bad? By bad I mean: That wretched-over-muscled-awful-90's art?
    You, my dear, about to enter said voyage. And so, too, are you about to enter the Llan the Sorcerer storyline.

I do look forward to your opinion(s) of said story, as it is rather long, whether you agree or disagree with me.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default The Byrne-Mantlo Switch

Yesssssssss!
    But I find hardly much that hasn't offended me in Mantlo's run.
    Heather=completely offensive. As a woman, she totally offends me.
    Treatment of Northstar=completely offensive, at different times throughout the run.
    Treatment of Aurora=completely offensive. Taking her playful flirtiness and turning her into a crazy, manipulative b!tch is also unforgivable, imo.
    Treatment of Puck (and his origins!!!)=WTF OFFENSIVE.
    Purple Girl? Does she go away, EVER? Is she ever going to leave this book? I find her initial appearance one of the most offensive things in this series, ever, and honestly, I will never like her. She can piss off. Forever. And take Jeffries with her. Bastids.
    And MANIKIN!
    They can take Manikin pissing off with them as well. Past, Present, and future selves. They can all screw off out of my books. It cannot happen fast enough.
    It DOES happen, right? Eventually?
    Do you guys have exact issue numbers as to when this crap gets better?
    I just read #54, and it was horrible. Purple Girl needs to go away.

Either intentionally or unintentionally, Mantlo's "Alpha Flight" really forced the Canadian government to assemble a new team because the people Heather has really aren't up to the task of dealing with the threats the originals faced: The (real) GREAT BEASTS*, Ranark, Wendigo... g/a-f

From #52 on has been the worst it has EVER been in AF for me. #53 kind of gets a pass, though, because Heather apologized, in her head, for all the bad things she has thought about Mac.
    Her team is still awful.
    SHE is still awful.
    Now I'm seriously WTFing over the horrible writing. Not just because things are happening that I don't agree with. That aside, it's horrible writing.
    Way back when, I think somebody said "Let's make Alpha Flight a horror book", but somebody heard "Let's make Alpha Flight a horrible book."

* DreamQueen's assault on Alpha Flight seems pretty deep-rooted...and it starts to become clearer in #s 59, 60, and 61.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I am wondering if Mantlo's run is hitting me so hard because I am reading at least an issue about every day to every other day vs. reading it only once a month like when it was printed?
    I'm assuming most of you probably read Mantlo's run when it was fresh, so you were only reading it once a month, right?
    I dislike the Mantlo era whenever I (try to) read it. It just sucks...sorry, I don't know how to sugar-coat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    Way back when, I think somebody said "Let's make Alpha Flight a horror book", but somebody heard "Let's make Alpha Flight a horrible book."
    Hahahahahaha! Oh, Garry, you are brilliant. <3

* DreamQueen's assault on Alpha Flight seems pretty deep-rooted...and it starts to become clearer in #s 59, 60, and 61.
    oooh, I will find this out soon as #59 is my next issue.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Ummm... The art gets really, really bad before that even sets in. Unfortunately, Jim Lee is going to leave fairly soon, and be replaced by an artist who wasn't yet up to the task.

The 90s art doesn't really come in until the hundreds, but it starts head that direction in, well, the 90s (from about #88 until the end of the series, iirc).

Then you need to expand your collection. I bet if I looked hard enough there's some pretty good either swing/jazz/blues/other music out there that has "Little Things" of some kind in the music.
    Lol! Two of the walls around me are covered in CDs. Seriously. (They're on CD racks.)

It's just... I can only search iTunes by titles, not lyrics. I don't even have lyrics on iTunes for most of my 20,500+ songs. For lyrics, I have to go to Memory, and that just isn't bringing up results for 'little things'.

But your quote is hilarious. And I instantly let out a long "ewwwwww" at the thought of petting sweaty things.
    Who pets sweaty things? Who even does that?
    It's something I heard from my gaming friends. I don't know where it came from, nor who would disobey that advice.

Massive LOL!

~ Le Messor
    "Somebody said Aliens, she thought they meant illegal aliens and signed up."
    ~ Hudson in Aliens, telling the true story of how Jenette Goldstein was cast in the movie.

Ummm... The art gets really, really bad before that even sets in. Unfortunately, Jim Lee is going to leave fairly soon, and be replaced by an artist who wasn't yet up to the task.

The 90s art doesn't really come in until the hundreds, but it starts head that direction in, well, the 90s (from about #88 until the end of the series, iirc).
    Even Jim Lee had his rounds of bad 90's art. It wasn't so much his art as it was just the stupid style of art back then. His art was nice on AF.

Lol! Two of the walls around me are covered in CDs. Seriously. (They're on CD racks.)

It's just... I can only search iTunes by titles, not lyrics. I don't even have lyrics on iTunes for most of my 20,500+ songs. For lyrics, I have to go to Memory, and that just isn't bringing up results for 'little things'.
    I will try to find you something.
    What does most of your collection consist of?

It's something I heard from my gaming friends. I don't know where it came from, nor who would disobey that advice.
    Good, safe answer!

Even Jim Lee had his rounds of bad 90's art. It wasn't so much his art as it was just the stupid style of art back then. His art was nice on AF.
    Not that I am doubting you, but when did Jim Lee have bad art? Even his image days, he was on top of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Even his image days, he was on top of his game.
    Is that a put-down of Image?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

That's very true. He was also a huge relief after some bad art.

Not that I am doubting you, but when did Jim Lee have bad art? Even his image days, he was on top of his game.
    Yeah, I've not seen him draw badly.
    I did feel some of his designs for the New 52 got samey and not that great... but well-drawn. OTOH, when Catwoman got that horrible goggles costume, even he couldn't make it look good - but there was another Batman series parallelling that one at the time, and the other artist did.

I will try to find you something.
    What does most of your collection consist of?
    Do you mean a YouTube link to listen to? 70s and 80s rock.
    And soundtracks.
    But I'm eclectic.

~ Le Messor
    "I was walking to Shelbyville wearing an onion on my belt as was the style of the time. Now, you couldn't get white onions because of the war..."
    ~ one of Granpa Simpson's stories...

It wasn't so much his art as it was the 90's style that practically everyone was doing. I thought I said that? I probably shouldn't have said the first part, but no regrets!

That's very true. He was also a huge relief after some bad art.
    Yes, though I never really noticed the art get truly AWFUL on AF (yet) as I have noticed that happen on other series.

Yeah, I've not seen him draw badly.
    I know every artist isn't always going to be perfect. I don't think he's a bad artist. I just think 90's art was awful. Most of the time.

Do you mean a YouTube link to listen to? 70s and 80s rock.
    And soundtracks.
    But I'm eclectic.
    No, not a youtube link (or you can if you'd like, I don't-whatever), I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Is that a put-down of Image?
    Yes and no. Much like Alpha Flight V2, I recall enjoy all of those image books (Cyberforce, being the top, followed by WildCATS, Stormwatch, Bloodstrike, Brigade, Youngblood, Shadowhawk, Savage Dragon, WetWorks, and the list goes on)...

I ask, have you tried to re-read any of those lately? Art. Amazing. Story. Not so much.

Yes and no. Much like Alpha Flight V2, I recall enjoy all of those image books (Cyberforce, being the top, followed by WildCATS, Stormwatch, Bloodstrike, Brigade, Youngblood, Shadowhawk, Savage Dragon, WetWorks, and the list goes on)...

I ask, have you tried to re-read any of those lately? Art. Amazing. Story. Not so much.
    I am so glad you did not yell at me about Jim Lee.

Images

It wasn't so much his art as it was the 90's style that practically everyone was doing.
    I know every artist isn't always going to be perfect. I don't think he's a bad artist. I just think 90's art was awful. Most of the time.
    You'll get no argument from me.

Yes, though I never really noticed the art get truly AWFUL on AF (yet) as I have noticed that happen on other series.

Wait.

I recall enjoy all of those image books (... Youngblood...)...
    Has to be done:

http://atopthefourthwall.com/youngblood-1/
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/double-feature-3/
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/double-feature-2/
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/double-feature/
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/youngbl...#disqus_thread

And, while we're doing those:
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/all-sta...n-and-robin-1/

~ Le Messor
    "Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Nooooooo."
    ~ Linkara

Never! Everyone is entitled to opinions! I welcome a difference of opinion, as long as said opinion is thoughtful and well written. Not just, "You suck."