Thread: Article: Amazing X-Men #11 Solicitation

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Look at The Master & Gary Cody in Vol.4 - nowhere was it explained how they were back.
    And that's just as wrong to me. Felt as though I'd missed something. There are gaps in my collection though so for all I knew it HAD been covered.

Okay; let's flip it slightly:

Amazing X-Men #8
    Pg 4, panel 4 - Wolverine has a different costume to the one he had in #6 - with no explanation.
    Pg 6, panel 5 - Colossus is said to have been a 'wanted murdered and fugitive' How? Why? How is he now free to walk up to the mansion door? The last detail certainly wasn't answered in the last issue of Cable & X-Force.

Yet you're not questioning these; you're focusing on the AF related ones because you're an AF fan.
    True. But if I were any sort of an X-Men fan, I would be questioning them as well. In those cases, I just didn't realize there was something there to question, so I haven't. I also assume that the story about Colossus is SOMEWHERE, I'm just not interested in nowhere where.

A shared universe works in two ways; there has to be a point where you can't spoonfeed information to every single person, and as the old adage goes - every comic is someone's first comic; it has to find the middle ground between continuity and accessibility.
    You keep acting as though I'm demanding volumes of recap. I explained that modified dialogue alone would have been preferable to me, and perhaps even quicker than what was in the book. I don't need them to explain their entire relationship from when they met. Just recognize where these characters were the last time they were in use. It doesn't have to be inaccessible, done properly.

I'm genuinely struggling to see how that's different from what was actually published?

Yet your example there doesn't mention Claire, or The Master's brainwashing or anything from Vol.4 which I thought was your (and other people's) point in this whole debate, so I'm very confused.
    It's different because instead of them suddenly being together again, completely opposite to when we last saw them, it explains that Heather is looking for Mac in order to GET back together. Right up to the moment that she says those lines, they're apart. Makes more sense with Heather's last in-book appearance and is no more confusing to X-Men fans. "They were apart? Whatever."

I'm trying to meet halfway. You explained earlier that you don't want to clutter the book with info X-Men fans don't need. So forget even mentioning the brainwashing part. Alpha Flight fans will know why Heather and Mac have been apart, X-Men fans don't get a bunch of stuff they don't want or need. And it takes up no more space, aside for perhaps a line for Clare, if I can come up with a decent one.
    Last edited by TSOG; 06-27-2014 at 09:03 AM.