L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
[img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_1.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]

Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artist: Dave Ross
Story: Waxing Poetic 1 of 2

OVERVIEW:
[img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_2.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Having saved the original Alpha Flight from the clutches of the Plodex ship, Walter Langkowski is about to push the self destruct button. Just as he reaches out to push the button, Nemesis strikes the mechanism with her sword. Explaining her actions, Nemesis says that it could be in the best interest of Alpha Flight to capitalize on the alien technology. The ship had been designed with systems allowing for instant cross-continental teleportation. Should a new Alpha Flight be formed, they could easily defend their large country by being able to teleport anywhere in Canada. Walter agrees with her logic, but the topic sends the heroes into discussing if they are indeed interested in forming a new Alpha Flight or not. Major Mapleleaf states that he has responsibilities with the RCMP. Puck says that she doesn't think there's really need for a team. Yukon Jack claims he would rather attend to the affairs of state for his land. Even Sasquatch says that he would rather be following his first love, of Science. It is the ever clear Centennial who suggests they sleep on the decision, rather than making any commitments one way or the other. Utilizing the Plodex transportation hub, the heroes go their separate ways.

Coming through a hidden door in a brick Wall, Puck and Major Mapleleaf enter a busy street in Montreal. Major Mapleleaf very shyly tries to say goodbye to Zuzha. Having nothing of it, she says she might spend the night with him, she he ask. Lou becomes very flustered and is at a total loss for words. Zuzha does convince him to join her for drinks to discuss it.

[img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_3.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Stepping out of a tree in the the middle of the forest, Yukon Jack falls some distance into a large mud puddle. He looks up to see children running and laughing. He seems quite confused about thier "unsanctioned glee". Approaching his village, he finds the entire populace of Kemteron celebrating.

Emerging from a dark alley, in a run down looking neighborhood, Centennial has returned home for the first time in many years. Looking onto his ancestral home, he finds it derelict, and occupied by thugs.

Now inside a bar, a rather drunken Major Mapleleaf laments about the difficulties of living in the shadow of his Father. Zuzha grounds him by telling him his father really isn't very well known, and more people have heard of Pink Pearl than Major Mapleleaf. On the topic of fathers, Zuzha admits that she has never met her father (or at least doesn't realize she has). She considers him a looser for not taking part in raising her. The pair leave the bar, as it seems Lou could use some fresh air.

[img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_4.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Back at the Plodex ship, the only heroes left are Sasquatch and Nemesis. We find them in mid conversation. Nemesis is attempting to convince Walter that he should remove the Inhibitor Device and allow her to join Alpha Flight of her own free will. She tells him that she will refrain from killing anyone at, all so that he can keep her out of the government detention center he had borrowed her from. She goes on to explain that though she has lived a long time, she is not immortal, and there is a matter that she must attend to, that she can't take care of while in prison. Removing her Mask, Nemesis reveals her true face to Walter asking him to "please" believe her good intentions.

Once more in the streets of Montreal, the now sobered up Major Mapleleaf is apologizing to Puck for his behaviour. He explains that he is not used to drinking, and that was his first beer ever. Comparing him to the usual drunks she sees in her bar, she admits to finding him "charming". It is then that they stumble across what appears to be The Thing, and Mr. Fantastic. On closer inspection of their surroundings, they discover they are outside [img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_5.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Madame Trudeau's Wax Museum. Zuzha takes Lou's hand and leads him inside. While admiring a collection of wax statues of some of the worlds greatest super heroes, we are privy to the plotting of a fellow calling himself "The Manimator", who seems to be the sculptor. He is speaking to himself saying all those who are flesh and blood will fall before his might.

Returning to the western Canadian forests, the people of Yukon Jack's village are partying over, and defacing a statue of him. He then realizes the reason for the celebration, was his absence. From above in a tree, the seemingly forgotten young Plodex child watches.

It being now rather late at night, Major Mapleleaf asks Puck if she is interested in grabbing a bite to eat. She seems to prefer the option of taking him back to her place. They turn to find Thunder standing in the street waiting for them. As they take of into the air, Zuzha makes reference to Lou owning thunder, and refers to him as a flying horse, but the Major explains that they are partners, that he does not own Thunder. Show signs of quite liking Mapleleaf, Zuzha asks him to kiss her. Just as he is leaning in to do so, she is set back by Thor, Storm, and The Human Torch confronting them in the skies.

REVIEW:

This was a great issue. No, there was next to no action, but that's really not what I'm in this for. I was just blown away by the quality of the characterization of this issue. So much happened that I came out of the issue feeling I knew so much more about the characters now than I did before.
[img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_6.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]
The biggest surprise for me was seeing Nemesis as the most interested member in forming a new Alpha Flight. Her desires to keep the ship intact to aid the team was smart thinking, and she really showed a side of herself we had never seen before. The entire unmasking scene was very well done, it made me really feel a connection with the character. I was a little surprised that none of the other members were championing keeping their team together.

The panel when Zuzha was talking about her bet with Walter was hilarious. Seeing her riding his back, while he was wearing a dress...that girl has a sick mind!

The budding romantic between Lou and Zuzha was very sweet. She seems like the type of woman who goes out and gets what she wants, and she wants Lou! The poor guy has no idea what he's in for! I had the impression with how she clung to him in past issues, that there was something there, now we know for sure.

I'm not shocked at the celebration over Yukon Jack's absence. I'm sure his ego combined with what power he had at the village really made everyone around him miserable. I feel a little sorry for him, as his bubble has been burst, but ultimately that will be the fuel to drive him back to continue as a member of Alpha Flight. I wonder why the Plodex kid followed him instead of staying close to Nemesis.

[img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_7.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]All along I had assumed that Thunder was a normal horse that Major Mapleleaf was able to use his powers to allow him to ride through the air, however the comments made between Lou and Zuzha suggests the horse himself is indeed able to fly.

This issue, though had many funny moments, and had me laughing out loud, did not shove the humour aspect in your face. It was a lot more gentle, and fit in extremely well, while not detracting from the story in any way. The Manimator seems to bee one of those generic corn-ball villains, and won't be a serous threat for the team, I think his purpose is to show the team there is reason to stay together. Fighting animated Was in the next issue will also really give us a chance to see AF let their powers out.

Ross art in this book was quite good, and I really enjoyed seeing him do Alpha Flight again after so many years. A few of his facial expressions were kind of odd, but we have been spoiled with Clayton Henry's great faces. The background art was very good. I really did enjoy seeing an other artist drawing the characters, as up to this point all we have seen is Clayton. I'm looking forward to Ross's next issue, but well be chomping at the bit for Henry panels by the end I'm sure.

Speaking of Art, I was startled to see the cover, as I had been expecting the Scottie young art we saw in Marvel Previews. I'm guessing we may see this art as next issue's cover, as the preview image for #8 is an other picture of Sasquatch, and it would seem odd to have two of those in a row. I really like the artistic quality to Mizuki Sakakibara's pencils on this cover.

Really a great issue, lots was done as far as building on the characters.