Thread: Wolverine #304 (2012) - Return of an Alpha Flight member

Hybrid View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    We hardly got to know Byrne's Wildchild, though. He was a fantastic character design,
    I always found that version - the original and best - to be unique and interesting; a wild, Wolverine-style character with claws and presumably a healing factor, who looked different, but in a real-world plausible way; and most of all who, despite all this, was eloquent and verbose.
    Everyone since has ignored all that and made him just another of those Wolverine clones that cropped up all over the place in the 90s. (I mean that in terms of how he was written, not a literal clone).

- Le Messor
    Debbie Jellinsky: I'll be leaving the country very soon.
    Ticket Agent: Will you be traveling alone?
    Debbie Jellinsky: Yes, I'll be a widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I always found that version - the original and best - to be unique and interesting; a wild, Wolverine-style character with claws and presumably a healing factor, who looked different, but in a real-world plausible way; and most of all who, despite all this, was eloquent and verbose.
    Everyone since has ignored all that and made him just another of those Wolverine clones that cropped up all over the place in the 90s. (I mean that in terms of how he was written, not a literal clone).
    I'll agree with you on that wholeheartedly. I think any writer who cares about his craft could easily bring back Byrne's Wildchild and simply amalgamate most of the different personas he's had into aspects of who he is. They could easily go sympathetic villain or redeem him into a hero. He's naturally have a lot of the type of rebelliousness, edginess, snark, and wit that people like as a result of his history, without it being forced. (unlike Marina)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WCpractice.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	2553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildchildnewcostume.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	2554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildchildunfin01 001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	2555

I really need to do a FINISHED drawing of him. But boy is he fun to doodle.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    could easily bring back Byrne's Wildchild and simply amalgamate most of the different personas he's had into aspects of who he is.
    Yeah, it'd be so easy to do it right.

And, like FP: Nice art!

- Le Messor
    "Ignorance transcends architecture."
    ~ James Gaskin