Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tweaks - Feedback pleas :)

Yeah OK

I put up a subcategory, "Villains" which should be suitable for those images.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Added...what about Persuasion?

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Added...what about Persuasion?
    Persuasion added

When uploading Guest Appearance covers to the gallery, can we use the Additional Info section to list who/what appears in the issue, just to give it a more complete sense?
    And possibly a "Collected as/in..." to include tpb's in the same image.

Yeah I think that's a good idea and was actually going to suggest that.

good idea

Well, not such a good idea. It's triplicative in effort because this information already exists in the Appearances forum, plus someone we know maintains a blog about it, and there's also talk about setting up a database. To manually enter it AGAIN on the gallery becomes overkill.

Rather than have multiple instances of the same information for guest appearances over and over, how about that database thingy go up? That way it could be entered once and only once, then you could display it however we wish. Using the Gallery as a database seems circuitous.

Until the database is installed, Phil can set up links between the appearance forum and covers in the gallery (many of these dead links exist linked to the old cover gallery) which would be a great start, unless a decision is made to kill the Appearances Forum and replace it with the database.

Basically what I'm saying is database.

Love,
    rplass

Good point there rplass, I just have to figgure out how I'm gonna go about the databas. You're right though, it does mean a lot of work for redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Well, not such a good idea. It's triplicative in effort because this information already exists in the Appearances forum, plus someone we know maintains a blog about it, and there's also talk about setting up a database. To manually enter it AGAIN on the gallery becomes overkill.
    It would be to faze out the appearance forum section untill the database can be up and running and linked to images.
    I'm not knocking your blog either as because of the day delay in shipping to this side of the world I occasionally check it out for any suprises and enjoy the descriptions and blog as a whole, but it's not integrated to the site and the site needs an appearances log if it's to be THE home for Alpha Flight fans.

Rather than have multiple instances of the same information for guest appearances over and over, how about that database thingy go up? That way it could be entered once and only once, then you could display it however we wish. Using the Gallery as a database seems circuitous.
    The database was always the plan, but at the moment its a case of finding a worthy script. It's looking like coding of one from scratch, which is time and effort consuming and out of my league. And using the Gallery as a database works better than using the appearances forum as a database.

Until the database is installed, Phil can set up links between the appearance forum and covers in the gallery (many of these dead links exist linked to the old cover gallery) which would be a great start
    Yet that to me, is more work than each time a new appearance cover is added to the gallery adding a brief note. When the database is up, it'll link to these gallery images so it'd be done in the end anyway.

unless a decision is made to kill the Appearances Forum and replace it with the database.
    That was always the plan for full interaction and ease of information.

Basically what I'm saying is database.
    To which I agree, but it's not going to happen yet.

But that's all just my thinking and reasoning.

Ok dunno if this ever happened before... I obtained an image which was, in my opinion, a better quality image than one already uploaded. For reference it is the cover to Chaos War #4 in the Guest Appearances gallery. I uploaded the new version and unceremoniously deleted the older version which I felt was fuzzy and dark. Not sure what the etiquette ought to be for deleting an image that another user (Phil) put up... but it seems that if you really think your image is better it should be OK to delete without a formal request from the original uploader.

Love,
    rplass

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Not sure what the etiquette ought to be for deleting an image that another user (Phil) put up... but it seems that if you really think your image is better it should be OK to delete without a formal request from the original uploader.
    I'd suggest asking first, even just as a courtesy. Explain why you want to change it.
    Note: you also used the word 'obtained' here; I know that all my images (except one) are scans I did.
    Just to add to the controversy, I'm a little antsy about using other people's images. (Okay, I do it all the time on my comics review blog, but I can't upload my own pics directly there.)
    (Also, I don't know what 'obtained' means here.)

- Le Messor
    Wednesday: I don't want to be in the pageant.
    Gary: Don't you want me to realize my vision?
    Wednesday: Your work is puerile and under-dramatized. You lack any sense of structure, character, or the Aristotelian unities.
    Gary: Young lady, I am getting just a tad tired of your attitude problem!

Yeah, "obtained" in this case means "I scanned my copy on my scanner myself"

Sigh. OK I'll ask first. Can't a guy just go deleting stuff anymore?? When did we get so polite around here?

Love,
    rplass

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Oh. That's all right, then!

Sigh. OK I'll ask first. Can't a guy just go deleting stuff anymore?? When did we get so polite around here?
    'sa Canadian thing. You don't have a lot of politeness on the Enterprise, as I remember...

OTOH, that was just my opinion - I don't speak for everybody.

Love,
    rplass
    I tried to delete your entire post, but failed.

DAMMIT!

lol.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

That explains the auto-email.
    Not a problem, I wouldn't have minded either way.