Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: alpha flight returns in chaos war!!!

I don't know if anyone ever posted this, but I'm tired and I bet they did, from Formspring 5 months ago. Jim McCann. A refresher of what might be.

Who is your favorite international superhero?

Blacksad. If you mean Marvel- almost all of Alpha Flight.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

All but Puck?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Wow! 10 pages is hard to get through... But early on people were suspecting THE MASTER to be the villain for the one shot... But I suspect it's Dream Queen, since we see in Chaos War, that Nightmare is killed... and if I remember correctly, Dream Queen is either the daughter or something to Nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Wow! 10 pages is hard to get through... But early on people were suspecting THE MASTER to be the villain for the one shot... But I suspect it's Dream Queen, since we see in Chaos War, that Nightmare is killed... and if I remember correctly, Dream Queen is either the daughter or something to Nightmare?
    Yep, Dreamqueen is Nightmare's daughter...and also technically she is her own mother.

Perhaps it's Llan, as they said it's the canadian version of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Perhaps it's Llan, as they said it's the canadian version of the Devil.
    I sincerely hope not.
    That was - by far - the worse story of Alpha Flight history. Bad story. Bad art. Bad everything.

I doubt it's either, really...I'm still thinking it's the Master, since Jim seems to have a fondness for the Byrne original team.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

The Great Beasts?

The Good Beasts?

The okay beasts?

- Le Messor
    "Self-pity is a terrible first course. Why don't you try the soup instead?"
    - Christine Chappel

Yeah...It could be Somon, perhaps? What other villain is their "devil"?...Caliber (LOL)? Pink Pearl (Ha!)?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Oh yeah, and I remember I saw the Beasts (including, specifically, Somon) in that picture of Reilly Brown's desk!

- Le Messor
    "How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you’re on."

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I doubt it's either, really...I'm still thinking it's the Master, since Jim seems to have a fondness for the Byrne original team.
    Dana
    I wouldn't consider The Master Alpha Flight's "Devil." I would consider Master more what Magneto is to the X-Men. So while he does seem to favor the original Alpha Flight, I have a feeling with a story like this Master wouldn't fit in - it would need to be something bigger - and since it begins with Nightmare's death, I could see how he would use DreamQueen to tie her in (and perhaps even elevate her power level and threat level to essentially replace Nightmare).

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I wouldn't consider The Master Alpha Flight's "Devil." I would consider Master more what Magneto is to the X-Men. So while he does seem to favor the original Alpha Flight, I have a feeling with a story like this Master wouldn't fit in - it would need to be something bigger - and since it begins with Nightmare's death, I could see how he would use DreamQueen to tie her in (and perhaps even elevate her power level and threat level to essentially replace Nightmare).
    Ah...Nightmare dies? When and where did this happen?

BTW, you thought Llan was the worst? How about Puck going from long pants to short pants in the middle of a story? Or Aurora fighting the Sentinels in her (Byrne) summer suit, but the books before and after have her in Ross's purple suit? Or Vindicator killing Narya with technologically-based weapons (and failing to save her son)? Or...
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    Ah...Nightmare dies? When and where did this happen?

BTW, you thought Llan was the worst? How about Puck going from long pants to short pants in the middle of a story? Or Aurora fighting the Sentinels in her (Byrne) summer suit, but the books before and after have her in Ross's purple suit? Or Vindicator killing Narya with technologically-based weapons (and failing to save her son)? Or...
    Well he "dies" as much as anyone "dies" in comics (right). I believe this happens in Chaos War #1 or so? It's in the CHAOS WAR issues anyway. Might be the wrong issue.

As for Puck's pants... bad editing... Aurora's fight... bad editing... Vindicator killing Narya... admittedly, probably the second worse moment in Alpha Flight history (as Snowbird and Shaman were always my favorites)... but I knew, if anyone would/could come back - being a half-goddess, that she WOULD come back. But the Llan story? The writing was something I would have written when I was like 14 and like thinking of like the worse "Satanic" type story I could think of... with people everywhere dying and dead... but it was so bland... so VERY bland... and to top it off... I thought the art was absolutely weak... And it could be, because by the time this happen, Alpha Flight, as a team and comic, was pretty severely damaged... (I didn't care for the World Tour arc either...)

To be fair, the Llan story arc suffered for the same reasons Omega Flight suffered. It was going to be a much longer story arc, then the writer got told, after the first issue of the arc was published, that he was being replaced on the series and he had to wrap everything up in three issues or some nonsense like that.

Again, interference from on high ruined everything.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    To be fair, the Llan story arc suffered for the same reasons Omega Flight suffered. It was going to be a much longer story arc, then the writer got told, after the first issue of the arc was published, that he was being replaced on the series and he had to wrap everything up in three issues or some nonsense like that.
    I will freely admit, a part of my problem was how Llan looked. The whole mohawk thing... and his costume... I would have hoped someone who was demonic was going to be all out demonic... the potential to make the next Mephisto was there (and if you think of Mephisto, he's a pretty simple looking character) - but it works. I think with Llan, the mohawk, the silly blue/red outfit... I was like the only thing this guy is killing is someone dying of laughter. I think it was a mixture that he was so damaging (his origin story - started good, with the people finding the statue thing, if I remember correctly)... So the fact that it may have got nixed early on might explain why the rest of the story seemed to falter so horribly... the artist (if responsible for the design) also failed though, in making Llan as fearsome in appearance as he could have been.

Am I the only one who thinks Llan looked down right silly?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Llan_001..jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	606

I'll be the first to admit Llan's costume was terrible but it was James Hudnall's AF run that brought me back! As for John Calimee's artwork on the series it too wasn't the best but I'll take it over Michael Bair's run any day!