Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBR have a new story about Northstar

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default CBR have a new story about Northstar

Never liked the whole "elf" retcon for Northstar and Aurora.
    John Byrne introduced them as mutants... that what they should have been all along.
    The Flight Forever !

Images

Pretty sure nobody liked it. :/

Wish someone would retcon Puck. Have it where he lied about being of normal height and was always a little person.

Images

On the plus side, they've pretty much forgotten Puck's fake origin and nobody talks about it anymore.

The Elf thing was way the frick too far out there. I have no idea what Bill was thinking (and I understand his current state, and all) - but he really did do some damaging things to Alpha Flight. Which is weird, because his ROM and MICRONAUTS were fun reads. But his ALPHA FLIGHT, he seemed like an entirely different writer. I am curious, because I only really know Bill's writing from those three books - both ROM and MICRONAUTS, Bill was building from the ground up. Wonder if he was just looking to do the same with Alpha Flight, and that perhaps with pre-existing characters he didn't do well? Anyone read his Hulk?

I imagine a lot of it was editorial interference to quash his homosexuality.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    The Elf thing was way the frick too far out there.
    I've always been a fantasy fan, and with their light powers and pointed ears, have always thought of the twins as a little elvish. When I toyed with the idea of writing a fantasy version of Alpha Flight, that's certainly what they were (and there was a mermaid, and a guy who'd bonded to an ogre or troll, and a knight in shining but anachronistic armour, etc..)

I only really know Bill's writing from those three books ... perhaps with pre-existing characters he didn't do well? Anyone read his Hulk?
    I've read a few issues, but not enough of anybody's Hulk to judge his.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There's a lot of talk about that in the comments section.

~ Le Messor
    "Coffee is good for talent, but genius wants prayer."
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

But while his sexuality was certainly alluded to, it was never declared out right that he was gay. And I can say - when I initially read Alpha Flight (1983, when it came out I was 13), I was certainly way too naive to have picked up on the clues. It was not until many years later that I had gone back, re-read it, and realized what they were alluding to all the way back then (having though thought, at the time, when 106 came out, that it seemed a little out of place, because I had indeed missed all those clues).

So - how and perhaps - why - would making Northstar an Elf do anything with his sexuality, which by this point, had not even been officially declared? How would making him an Elf do away with the hints that alluded to his sexuality?

I understand these may be rhetorical questions; but if it was indeed an editorial thing, I am not seeing how/why this would have done anything to "fix" his sexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I've always been a fantasy fan, and with their light powers and pointed ears, have always thought of the twins as a little elvish. When I toyed with the idea of writing a fantasy version of Alpha Flight, that's certainly what they were (and there was a mermaid, and a guy who'd bonded to an ogre or troll, and a knight in shining but anachronistic armour, etc..)
    Oh, I love fantasy too - The Hobbit SHAPED my life - seriously. And in 1978, I was in love with ElfQuest (as a matter of fact, I have a thread on this forum encouraging people to read the issues of ElfQuest, which are available - legally - for free - on the ElfQuest site). However, despite the pointed ears and such, Northstar and Aurora being elves, never once crossed my mind. I guess, because Nightcrawler also had pointed ears; and he was already established as a mutant, that there was no reason to think Northstar and Aurora were anything but mutants, who had the same deformed ears, to give the elf like appearance.

Images

I understand these may be rhetorical questions...
    Um... that's for you to decide. It means the kind of question you ask to make a point, and don't expect an answer. I think you DO expect an answer, so...

So - how and perhaps - why - would making Northstar an Elf do anything with his sexuality, which by this point, had not even been officially declared? How would making him an Elf do away with the hints that alluded to his sexuality?
    I think it was meant to fix his AIDS, which was parallel to his sexuality. Thereby providing an alternate explanation.

I have a thread on this forum encouraging people to read the issues of ElfQuest,
    A week ago, I bought a second issue! (Which, oddly enough, was the issue before the one I have already.)

I guess, because Nightcrawler also had pointed ears;
    You know his friends call him 'elf', right?

~ Le Messor
    "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem. They're there every night, they see it done every night, they see how it should be done every night, but they can't do it themselves."
    ~ Brendan Behan--Quoted by Gyles Brandreth in Theatrical Disasters

Um... that's for you to decide. It means the kind of question you ask to make a point, and don't expect an answer. I think you DO expect an answer, so...
    Hah! Since no one here (that I am aware of!) was on the Editorial staff, I actually wasn't expecting an answer... more of my rambling how they thought this was a good idea.

I think it was meant to fix his AIDS, which was parallel to his sexuality. Thereby providing an alternate explanation.
    But he hadn't come out saying he had AIDS, right? It was merely being implied? It was just his constant cough (if I remember correctly?) - which could have been explained away any other thousands of ways - other than saying he was an Elf. Because how would his sickness tie to being an elf, anyway? Wouldn't Aurora have been suffering from the same cough?

A week ago, I bought a second issue! (Which, oddly enough, was the issue before the one I have already.)
    Hopefully stuff from the Original Quest? Or Siege at Blue Mountain? Or Kings of the Broken Wheel?
    I have ... had my issues... with the "Final Quest" story currently being published.

You know his friends call him 'elf', right?
    But they don't think he's actually one.

Images

Hah! Since no one here (that I am aware of!) was on the Editorial staff, I actually wasn't expecting an answer...
    Well, we can tell you what we've heard.

But he hadn't come out saying he had AIDS, right? It was merely being implied? It was just his constant cough (if I remember correctly?) - which could have been explained away any other thousands of ways - other than saying he was an Elf. Because how would his sickness tie to being an elf, anyway? Wouldn't Aurora have been suffering from the same cough?
    True! But they were (allegedly) heading towards it being AIDS - hence the explanation.
    And, yes, there were other ways. Including it being just a cough. (I hate how every fictional character who gets a cough is automatically dying! I've had coughs for weeks, and I'm not dead yet!)

They explained Aurora with, it affected her psychologically - he got 'dying of a cold', she got split personality.

(ElfQuest) Hopefully stuff from the Original Quest? Or Siege at Blue Mountain? Or Kings of the Broken Wheel?
    I have ... had my issues... with the "Final Quest" story currently being published.
    Issues 13 and 14, Epic Comics, 1986. Definitely Richard and Wendy Pini.
    I've heard bad stuff about some of the later series, and I'm not sure that's only from you.

(Nightcrawler) You know his friends call him 'elf', right?
    But they don't think he's actually one.
    No, but the association is there.

~ Le Messor
    "Confusion not only reigns, it pours."
    ~ Unknown

But while his sexuality was certainly alluded to, it was never declared out right that he was gay. And I can say - when I initially read Alpha Flight (1983, when it came out I was 13), I was certainly way too naive to have picked up on the clues. It was not until many years later that I had gone back, re-read it, and realized what they were alluding to all the way back then (having though thought, at the time, when 106 came out, that it seemed a little out of place, because I had indeed missed all those clues).

I understand these may be rhetorical questions; but if it was indeed an editorial thing, I am not seeing how/why this would have done anything to "fix" his sexuality?
    Strangely enough this got answered this week:
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-551/

Strangely enough this got answered this week:
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-551/
    That's interesting.

So Bill was really hell bent on killing every original member of Alpha Flight.