Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight stuff at NYCC 2013

Default Alpha Flight stuff at NYCC 2013

I had a really great time at NYCC, picked up a nice haul of Alpha Flight stuff and other fun stuff for kid rplass (who is now 8 and reading comics 24/7!!!).

OK right to the pictures since that's what it's all about. Best and only Alpha Flight cosplay I saw was a Puck who seemed like a really cool guy and looked fantastic in a great costume:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nycc2013puckcosplay.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	3260

I also got some great close up shots of the new Alpha Flight Heroclix. They had Northstar, Aurora and Snowbird in the case but unfortunately there was a huge Juggernaut Heroclix in front of Snowbird so I couldn't get any clean shots of her. Here are the Aurora and Northstar pics which you can click on to embiggen.

Name:	auroraheroclix1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	3261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auroraheroclix2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	3262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auroraheroclix3.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	3263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	3264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix3.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	3265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	3266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix5.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	3267

Also Josh Siegel, a.k.a. Rogan Josh was there, a NYC graphic artist who did a really great piece of Alpha Flight, and he was selling prints so I picked one up:

Name:	3a7f89_c3d54db7d158425a41e285eb8950f2eb.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	3256

More info about the print on his website http://modhero.blogspot.com/2012/08/alpha-flight.html Notice all the characters: Flashback, Diamond Lil, Heather, Wild Child, Marrina, Box, Sasquatch, Puck, Guardian, Snowbird, Shaman, Northstar and Aurora. What an image! He sells these prints from his website on that link if you want to pick one up.

Name:	ramonperez.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	3257

Also there was Uncanny X-Force artist Ramon Perez who was also very cool and we were laughing at all the Puck ass-kicking he drew. He brought his portfolio with the cover art to Uncanny X-Force up to issue #17, which has not yet been released by Marvel!!!! so I got a sneak peek at the cover art for a few issues. Puck is on one of the upcoming covers in an amazing "boot in your face" pose. It is really such a great image and you will be really happy to see it! Basically it's two columns of super heroes squaring off and Puck is on the bottom of the right column, except inverted because he's in this cool acrobatic mid-ass-kicking pose! He also had the artwork there from Wolverine & the X-Men #29 page with Northstar (previously mentioned here) and I told him how I loved the pointy ears!

Also I picked up the splash from Reilly Brown's Chaos War Alpha Flight #1:

Name:	rbcwaf1p22.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	3258

and he was happy to pose with me to celebrate!

Name:	reillynycc2013.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3259

If you're wondering yes that's a MLP lanyard I'm wearing. Anyway, Reilly mentioned that he had used alphaflight.net as a resource to get good images of the characters. Wow, isn't that neato!?!? We were talking about the issue, and he also said they originally wanted to copy Byrne's black and white version of portraying the Great Beasts (as in Alpha Flight #24) but with modern coloring techniques, it didn't seem as if it would work, so they went with the full color version for the Great Beasts instead. He also seemed really happy to have been part of the team that brought back Alpha Flight from the dead.

Well that was a lot of fun and I'm glad to have had the chance to meet these guys and also I got a whole bunch of other stuff for the Alpha Flight collection.
    Last edited by rplass; 10-13-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    I had a really great time at NYCC, picked up a nice haul of Alpha Flight stuff and other fun stuff for kid rplass (who is now 8 and reading comics 24/7!!!).

OK right to the pictures since that's what it's all about. Best and only Alpha Flight cosplay I saw was a Puck who seemed like a really cool guy and looked fantastic in a great costume:

Did you suggest this site to him? if he joins, he's a nice guy; if not...the debate will go on!

I also got some great close up shots of the new Alpha Flight Heroclix. They had Northstar, Aurora and Snowbird in the case but unfortunately there was a huge Juggernaut Heroclix in front of Snowbird so I couldn't get any clean shots of her. Here are the Aurora and Northstar pics which you can click on to embiggen.
    Yes, but...what about Rogue's boobs?!! Oh, sorry...wrong site.

Also Josh Siegel, a.k.a. Rogan Josh was there, a NYC graphic artist who did a really great piece of Alpha Flight, and he was selling prints so I picked one up:

More info about the print on his website http://modhero.blogspot.com/2012/08/alpha-flight.html
    Cool!

Notice all the characters: Flashback, Diamond Lil, Heather, Wild Child, Marrina, Box, Sasquatch, Puck, Guardian, Snowbird, Shaman, Northstar and Aurora. What an image! He sells these prints from his website on that link if you want to pick one up.
    And...here's where things get dicey!

Its a cool pic and all, can't deny that. But i was immediately trying to figure out who all the peoples on the sides were, and here was what i came up with: On the left side, Flashback and one of the characters from Elf-Quest. On the right side, looks like Bullseye at the bottom, Marrina, Cartman from South Park, and Thelma from Scooby-Doo at the top. Was i close?

Also there was Uncanny X-Force artist Ramon Perez who was also very cool and we were laughing at all the Puck ass-kicking he drew. He brought his portfolio with the cover art to Uncanny X-Force up to issue #17, which has not yet been released by Marvel!!!! so I got a sneak peek at the cover art for a few issues. Puck is on one of the upcoming covers in an amazing "boot in your face" pose. It is really such a great image and you will be really happy to see it! Basically it's two columns of super heroes squaring off and Puck is on the bottom of the right column, except inverted because he's in this cool acrobatic mid-ass-kicking pose! He also had the artwork there from Wolverine & the X-Men #29 page with Northstar (previously mentioned here) and I told him how I loved the pointy ears!
    If it is a boot-to-the-face thing form Puck, i am assuming he is kicking somebody who is laying down on the ground?

If you're wondering yes that's a MLP lanyard I'm wearing.
    Which one are you? You both have lanyards on...

Anyway, Reilly mentioned that he had used alphaflight.net as a resource to get good images of the characters. Wow, isn't that neato!?!? We were talking about the issue, and he also said they originally wanted to copy Byrne's black and white version of portraying the Great Beasts (as in Alpha Flight #24) but with modern coloring techniques, it didn't seem as if it would work, so they went with the full color version for the Great Beasts instead. He also seemed really happy to have been part of the team that brought back Alpha Flight from the dead.

Well that was a lot of fun and I'm glad to have had the chance to meet these guys and also I got a whole bunch of other stuff for the Alpha Flight collection.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

More info about the print on his website http://modhero.blogspot.com/2012/08/alpha-flight.html Notice all the characters: Flashback, Diamond Lil, Heather, Wild Child, Marrina, Box, Sasquatch, Puck, Guardian, Snowbird, Shaman, Northstar and Aurora. What an image! He sells these prints from his website on that link if you want to pick one up.
    Aha! I knew I recognised the name/style: I picked up the Northstar & Aurora one a few years back I'll have to order the AF one. Cheers Rob!

Yeah he (Rogan Josh) was a real nice guy too, and I could tell he was a solid Alpha Flight fan. One of his other prints has a tiny running Northstar if you want to be a completist; it's the large horizontal X-Men poster which he sells in two sizes:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LUxqFmmaka...Men-Mashup.jpg

I did tell Cosplay Puck about the site. I hope he reads this and joins up!

And I'm the one in the MLP lanyard. Reilly is wearing the red lanyard they were giving out. I didn't like mine so much so I replaced it with one that was 20% more awesome.

I did tell Cosplay Puck about the site. I hope he reads this and joins up!
    Strangely enough I've just been talking to his son on twitter regarding their cosplay.

He brought his portfolio with the cover art to Uncanny X-Force up to issue #17, which has not yet been released by Marvel!!!! so I got a sneak peek at the cover art for a few issues. Puck is on one of the upcoming covers in an amazing "boot in your face" pose. It is really such a great image and you will be really happy to see it! Basically it's two columns of super heroes squaring off and Puck is on the bottom of the right column, except inverted because he's in this cool acrobatic mid-ass-kicking pose!
    Presuming that it's the one in this article and in progress here?

I am the cosplay Puck from NY Comic Con.

Thanks for letting me know about this website at the convention. As you can see, I’m now registered with your site.

I was greatly surprised by the overwhelming response to my Puck costume at NYCC. I thought most people would have no idea who I was supposed to be – and maybe most didn’t, but there were so many others who knew exactly who I was and gave me shout outs, high fives, fist bumps, etc. On Saturday, 54 people asked if they could take my picture. On Sunday, 24 people asked for photos. I didn’t even count the verbal “Hey – it’s Puck!” reactions, but there were many.

Puck was hugely popular in Artist Alley, where a lot of guys commented about how much they liked John Byrne’s Puck.

Everyone asking for a picture was a male. I only got one comment from a female. (Not surprised.)

Mostly I just struck a heroic pose, but one artist asked me to put him in a headlock for the camera, and the guys at New World Manga asked me to do a cartwheel. We compromised by having me do a handstand and they held up my feet (it’s posted on their Facebook page).

Several guys said “Oh my God! That’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen,” to which I replied “You need to get out more.” Of all the people that I spoke with, one guy said he’s only every seen one other Puck cosplay, at another convention.

Virtually everybody said my costume was great – but it’s really an easy costume. The hardest part was getting my wife to sew a giant “P” on my chest. I think people loved it so much because Alpha Flight is great but under-appreciated, and I look an awful lot like Puck. I’m 5’ 5” (granted, taller than the “real” Puck), am stocky, and have a devilish charm and good looks (LOL). One guy said “Look, he even has hairy arms!” to which I responded “It’s all makeup and special effects,” which of course, it wasn’t.

Short, stocky guys don’t make good Spidermen, Superman, etc. I could’ve been a decent Wolverine before the movies were made. Now everybody expects Wolverine to be tall and look like Hugh Jackman.

For the guy that was conversing with my son on Twitter, I made a bet with my son that whichever of us got more photo requests would win $5 from the other guy. He cosplayed Dr. Who (#11, Matt Smith) and he was pretty good. I made that bet because I expected him to win! Unfortunately for him, my Puck blew him out of the water. (I think he got 17 photo requests.)

Never underestimate the appeal of a great character.

Welcome, Robert C!

And Rob P was correct, you ARE awesome!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Have to admit you do look a bit like Puck! Thanks for joining up.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Presuming that it's the one in this article and in progress here?
    Yup that's the one! I guess it has been revealed technically then, but I had the actual art in right there for a close up and it was a hoot! The best thing about it is that all of the other characters are standing erect (hee hee I said erect) and Puck is the only one inverted; it's just a great image!

And hi Robert C. and welcome to the board, and thanks for posing for the great image!

And for those of you wanting more: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1382850_10151986012834257_356813130_n.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	3269 I guess alphaflight.net is a bit low-energy compared to those guys, wow!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert C. View Post
    I am the cosplay Puck from NY Comic Con.
    Aha! I knew you'd slip up! Welcome aboard. Watch out for pudding.
    I was greatly surprised by the overwhelming response to my Puck costume at NYCC. I thought most people would have no idea who I was supposed to be – and maybe most didn’t, but there were so many others who knew exactly who I was and gave me shout outs, high fives, fist bumps, etc. On Saturday, 54 people asked if they could take my picture. On Sunday, 24 people asked for photos. I didn’t even count the verbal “Hey – it’s Puck!” reactions, but there were many.
    Excellent... It's heartening to know many people recognise Puck.
    Several guys said “Oh my God! That’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen,” to which I replied “You need to get out more.” Of all the people that I spoke with, one guy said he’s only every seen one other Puck cosplay, at another convention.
    Lolz!
    Short, stocky guys don’t make good Spidermen, Superman, etc. I could’ve been a decent Wolverine before the movies were made. Now everybody expects Wolverine to be tall and look like Hugh Jackman.
    If they still expect that at a comic con, something's gone very wrong.
    For the guy that was conversing with my son on Twitter, I made a bet with my son that whichever of us got more photo requests would win $5 from the other guy. He cosplayed Dr. Who (#11, Matt Smith) and he was pretty good. I made that bet because I expected him to win! Unfortunately for him, my Puck blew him out of the water. (I think he got 17 photo requests.) Never underestimate the appeal of a great character.
    True... but Puck is also a more distinctive costume... and I'm gonna guess Phil wasn't the only Doctor at the con. ~ Le Messor Anya: Look, I know you find me attractive. I've seen you looking at my breasts. Xander: Nothing personal, but when a guy does that, it just means his eyes are open.

Robert C. that was a brilliant bit of cosplay! My hat's off to you good sir.
    And welcome to the AF.net.

Name:	auroraheroclix1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	3261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auroraheroclix2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	3262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auroraheroclix3.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	3263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	3264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix3.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	3265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	3266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstarheroclix5.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	3267

Name:	ramonperez.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	3257

Name:	reillynycc2013.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3259

If you're wondering yes that's a MLP lanyard I'm wearing. Anyway, Reilly mentioned that he had used alphaflight.net as a resource to get good images of the characters. Wow, isn't that neato!?!? We were talking about the issue, and he also said they originally wanted to copy Byrne's black and white version of portraying the Great Beasts (as in Alpha Flight #24) but with modern coloring techniques, it didn't seem as if it would work, so they went with the full color version for the Great Beasts instead. He also seemed really happy to have been part of the team that brought back Alpha Flight from the dead.

Gosh, I heard that there was a Puck! I was trying to find you for a high five! I was super proud of my Aurora costume.

Name:	1381679_10103653450462833_158730499_n.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	3323

Welcome, vicespoetic, and well done on your costume too!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

That's great work! Must've been pretty hard.
    Welcome.

~ Le Messor
    Are you a man or a mouse?
    Groucho: Put a piece of cheese on the floor and you'll find out.
    ~ A Day at the Races