Thread: Marvel sucking in the comic department.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Not to mention the kinds of stories it tells... I'm thinking about the time he goes back in time and murders his own parents, whistling all the way.
    But - there's blood and violence all over comics. Is it just because the ink is colored red so YOU KNOW it's blood that makes it different? (And by you, I mean that in a "wide term" - as in a very general, those who wouldn't let their kids read Deadpool, for example).

Remember when Snowbird ripped out Sasquatch's heart? You can definitely see blood. And then there's the story with - who was it? Llan? (Ugh, how did he ever exist?!?) - Where there was an entire city of dead people; dead bodies scattered everywhere (I can't remember the details - but Silver and Auric or whatever were in it too, with Nemesis).

To be clear, not saying anyone's wrong. Just always curious about the "fine line" for comics - where violence becomes "too much." (I mean there's some that clearly, purposely, go beyond the envelope - for example Rob Liefeld's latest Bloodstrike, had a guy's "privates" ripped off... And I remember, in the original Bloodstrike, or Brigade, or it might have been in Supreme - the character Supreme was literally ripping members of Bloodstrike apart - like arms being ripped off and people torn in half... which, I think I'd still let my kid read, assuming he had a firm understanding between reality and comics lol)
    Last edited by Tawmis; 10-12-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I am curious if they're going to simply disregard all previous continuity and do a clean reboot.
    I believe it's a clean reboot AND completely separate to the main DC Rebirth Universe.
    I may be wrong though.

But I am in the minority, as a kabillion people love Squirrel Girl and Deadpool.
    I'm not a fan of the Deadpool title. I like the film though.

When it comes to comics, I just want the basic good vs evil type story, we saw throughout the 70s and early 80's.
    Statistically though, there's only so many times that particular story can be told.

But here's what I don't understand. Marvel has HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of characters already. Why make Thor a female? To appeal to the females who want a strong female character? Why didn't they simply use Valkyrie? (Just as an example).
    (I get it, in the end, because how many people would buy a Valkyrie book vs a Female Thor book?
    You've pretty much just answered yourself there :P

It's all about sales... And I think that's part of it... everything seems like a sales pitch, rather than an attempt to tell good stories... and I am sure there's good stories in these...
    But you can't tell good stories for free.
    Creators HAVE to put food on the table.
    Printers HAVE to be paid.
    Distributors HAVE to etc.

If the story is the same whether it's a non-recognizable character or a recognizable character if the budget depends on it, it'll be the latter.

I tried the female Thor, and lasted about three issues...
    And that's totally your prerogative.

But I am sure, elsewhere good stories are being told
    Again, you're using 'good' and 'bad' stories and writing, when you just mean stories that you don't enjoy.

Well, it does make it bad writing to me.
    That's a fair compromise.

I am not speaking for the whole universe.
    Heh, indeed; nor am I.
    Or anyone else. Certainly not Marvel.

Understood. Different strokes for different folks.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Is it just because the ink is colored red so YOU KNOW it's blood that makes it different?
    Remember when Snowbird ripped out Sasquatch's heart? You can definitely see blood.
    But the majority of the blood is black; as per the Comics Code back then to desensitize.
    And then there's the story with - who was it? Llan? (Ugh, how did he ever exist?!?) - Where there was an entire city of dead people; dead bodies scattered everywhere (I can't remember the details - but Silver and Auric or whatever were in it too, with Nemesis).
    But they were vague bodies, with less detail and certainly not graphic detail.

Just always curious about the "fine line" for comics - where violence becomes "too much."
    Oh, I'm not saying it's too much at all.
    I fully support the right for comics to be violent.
    As long as they're explicitly marked as such. Which Deadpool is.

(I mean there's some that clearly, purposely, go beyond the envelope - for example Rob Liefeld's latest Bloodstrike, had a guy's "privates" ripped off... And I remember, in the original Bloodstrike, or Brigade, or it might have been in Supreme - the character Supreme was literally ripping members of Bloodstrike apart - like arms being ripped off and people torn in half...
    I've seen as brutal, if not worse, in Deadpool comics.

had a firm understanding between reality and comics
    I think that the key, and a very sensible one.

RE: Wildstorm reboot.

I believe it's a clean reboot AND completely separate to the main DC Rebirth Universe.
    I may be wrong though.
    I am kind of hoping for that as well. But I am also hoping they go to their more classic look. The recent Cyberforce stuff from Top Cow, I feel lost touch. So I am hoping Wildstorm goes back to the more classic type look and story. But, chances are, they won't.

RE: Good vs Evil Stories.
    Statistically though, there's only so many times that particular story can be told.
    Well, they didn't have a problem telling it from 1940 through 1980. That's 40 years. (The 90's were a little chaotic, to say the least). With the THOUSANDS of characters Marvel has; there should be no problem bringing in new characters, and even telling a somewhat similar "Good vs Evil" story. There's so much untapped potential. The real problem is that they stick to the same characters, and wash them over so much, that they've lost focus. Both writers and characters.

RE: Stories I don't enjoy.

Again, you're using 'good' and 'bad' stories and writing, when you just mean stories that you don't enjoy.
    So ... you've never said that something sucks, because you didn't enjoy it? Nothing? Ever? At all? Everything you've ever experienced that was bad, didn't suck, it was just "not your thing"? If so, you're a much better person than I am. (Which may not take much...)

RE: Reign in RED Blood!
    But the majority of the blood is black; as per the Comics Code back then to desensitize.
    So... if Deadpool were a B&W comic, you'd let your kid read it? Because the blood's not red? It's the actual coloring of blood that crosses the line?

RE: Llan the Lameness and the dead bodies
    But they were vague bodies, with less detail and certainly not graphic detail.
    Am I misremembering? I thought it was pretty "graphic" (in terms of clarity) if memory serves me right...?

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    But - there's blood and violence all over comics. Is it just because the ink is colored red so YOU KNOW it's blood that makes it different?
    There are a lot of comics these days I wouldn't show to a kid. It isn't just the colour of the blood, it's the amount of unrelenting, mean-spirited violence in any given comic.
    Arbitrary?
    Sure, why not. But this is what I would show a kid - not what I think should be out on the stands or what I would tell others to show a kid or not. Even if I express surprise when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    RE: Llan the Lameness and the dead bodies

Am I misremembering? I thought it was pretty "graphic" (in terms of clarity) if memory serves me right...?
    There are some issues in the Llan saga I wouldn't show a kid.

~ Le Messor
    "I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things."
    ~ Dorothy Parker