Thread: Wishlist for the new Alpha Flight maxi...

Hybrid View

FVL and Pak have taken series and characters that were luke-warm ("meh") to most people beforehand, and appaently made them into something golden (a calf?).

I'm hopefully optimistic. With a side-order of "please don't dash my dreams into tiny fragments and stomp on them".
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    FVL and Pak have taken series and characters that were luke-warm ("meh") to most people beforehand, and appaently made them into something golden (a calf?).
    Without saying anything about the new Alpha specifically, a lot of people make things more popular by adding the same darkness and angst and whatever. It starts to look generic.
    Everything these days has to be really, really serious until it loses all sense of fun. It has to be really, really dark, until it loses all sense of light and hope. It has to be really, really militaristic until it loses all sense of individuality (which the real military doesn't, btw).

More popular is not the same as better.

- Le Messor
    "It's called a fantasy, Clark. An escape. Something, I dunno, more magical than we have in our normal lives."
    "Did you and Chloe just swear off whimsey? Was there a memo?"
    - Lois Lane (s'rously, I had Smallville playing as I typed, and that line just came on then.) (Ironically, Smallville is much darker in that season.)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    More popular is not the same as better.
    Of course, but it would be nice if Van Lente and Pak help make the characters appealing (and more accessible, if need be) to a larger audience...It means more of a chance that Alpha Flight will be a success (and go beyond the proposed 9 issues). As far as I can tell, Hercules hadn't been altered much (if at all), when he became a hit (he was pretty much the same old Hercules)....Somehow they reached new readers and grew his fanbase. If such a thing can happen with Alpha Flight, yet keep the characters true to who they are, then all the better, I say.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 04-23-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Hercules hadn't been altered much (if at all), when he became a hit .... If such a thing can happen with Alpha Flight, yet keep the characters true to who they are, then all the better, I say.
    That would be ideal!

- Le Messor
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the guy next to me."
    ~ Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    That would be ideal!

- Le Messor
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the guy next to me."
    ~ Woody Allen
    If these guys can't do it successfully, I doubt anyone will be able to.