Ouch...D! Paragraphs are our friends...It seriously hurt reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
Not an unwise accesment. Given the poor sales of previous Alpha revivals. I would understand from a buisness perspective of taking baby steps and building a fanbase. Most not all team books have at least one character that is the "meal ticket"(see Wolverine). Of the current Omega lineup there is not one character who has been a sales success on his or her own for an extended period of time. I think Marvel despite what some of us thinks about them is trying to make Michael Pointer the focal point of the Omega team. Omega did well.
That is a huge gamble...Pointer's placement as "Guardian"/"Weapon Omega" still sticks in the throat of many Alpha fans and Canadian AF fans. Omega did sell well, but there is no guarantee that Weapon Omega will be a success.

I still believe Wolverine should be used to launch a new Alpha series (with a strong writing and art team). Wolvie's roots are in Canada, why not use him there for a while? Get him out of the other books for a bit.

If the Weapon Omega story does well in MCP than you not only have fans of the book but a main focus character as well. I know alot of you may disagree but im only playing devils advocate with my next statement. James Mac Donald Hudson was not interesting enough as the main of the team book and robbed the team of its "star".
I agree with you about Mac, but I find Pointer to be nearly as bad...He has shown very little personality (outside of playing the guilt-ridden, victim)...And as I said above the whole premise of the character sticks in my throat as an AF/OF character. He's a character who has been used by an evil force (The Collective or Marvel...Take your pick) to kill characters we love(d), is currently being used by a "weak" Canadian government (at least that's the way Marvel is portraying them) and is shown in every way to be a poser, wearing a flag he shouldn't be wearing and defending a country he shouldn't be anywhere near...Not to mention being untrained, inexperienced and possessing unpredictable powers.

I know the point of the original Alpha was to highlight all the members at one time or another and it worked under John Byrne's pen. A new direction is needed to build the "brand" again. Look at how Alpha first came about. Guest appearence in a hot selling book. They had their few guest spots and fans clamored for more. Alpha Flight was than born. When Byrne left it had its up and downs to say the least and fizzled out over time. Yes we want a sudden and magnificent return to Alpha glory. But for it to work and work long term. I think the way its being done now might just be the way to go. Wet the appetite of new fans with a top selling Mini and have it be relevant enough to the original concepts idea that the old fans jump on as well. BANG!! you have a start. Omega Flight is the prologue. Weapon Omega in MCP is the intro to our "main" character. The next step after establishing all of this is the main ongoing story. Do i agree that this is the way to make Omega/Alpha a sales success? Not neccesarily. But I do recognize the way Marvel trys to sell its brand and market its product. While we feel JoeQ has it out for Alpha because of how things have transpired. I think he is looking at it in a different way. If he pulls a successful Alpha/Omega series out of his hat. He looks like a hero and made another B-List book A-list. I would bet he is willing to take the lumps he has in the short term to make it work in the long term. I know this was one hell of a rant. But I cannot and will not give up hope that an ongoing will happen. I still see what we want on the horizon as a very viable possibility. Keep on keepin on.
Joe Q will never be a hero in my book (and with many others, either), he's burned too many bridges with fans of various characters (not just in the Alpha sector)..Pissed too many people off with years of terrible stories, killing characters off and really bad decisions.

Dana